Goofy records you had to buy

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I bought this because of the song Final Countdown. Anyone that watches Arrested Development would recognize the song. It's the musical queue that's always used when Gob does his magic acts. Not a bad big hair record although I haven't really listened to anythin beyond Final Countdown except for a song called Ninja. Lyrics are

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I remember a ballad called "Carrie" or something. It was in my "I'm gonna have sex with you" mixtape for the car. Oh well, it was final 80's, all is forgiven.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Anyone that watches Arrested Development would recognize the song. It's the musical queue that's always used when Gob does his magic acts.

Hmm, might have to pick this up. If you don't mind my asking, did you know the record, or how did you recognize this?

• Weather girls - it's raining men 12"

Had to buy this cuz people always asked for it when i DJ'd weddings and 80's gigs..I dont like playing it but its funny as hell to see a bunch of drunk dudes getting all when they hear that song.

• All of them

• not as good as I would have hoped:

boring:

• Anyone that watches Arrested Development would recognize the song. It's the musical queue that's always used when Gob does his magic acts.

Hmm, might have to pick this up. If you don't mind my asking, did you know the record, or how did you recognize this?

I actually read about it somewhere. Had to get it off Ebay.

• Actually ended up liking this one:

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I got a record that has a dog barking on it. It was made to scare people away from your house when you're by yourself. The best part of the record is when they recommend that if you change the speed to 45 rpm's, tt will sound like a different dog barking. I don't know why I bought it. Oh yea I have the muhammad ali vs. tooth decay record!!!! I had to have that one. because that one is deffinately

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Anyone that watches Arrested Development would recognize the song. It's the musical queue that's always used when Gob does his magic acts.

Over here in Quebec its the most famous cheesy 80's song ever.

By the way the video is the incredibly hilarious.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

come on people! I knew what it was the second I heard it on AD. They would play that song on the radio all the time!

come on now.

• A 45 of "The Lord's Prayer" by the Hanna-Barbera Singers. On HBR Records (H-B's record label). Even though it only cost me a dime, I was disappointed. Here I was expecting Barney Rubble, Yogi Bear, and Huckleberry Hound taking turns reciting different passages; come to find out it's an actual chorus singing it straight.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    paging dan90059

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

dude you bought that record *off ebay*?!

i'm as much of an AD fan as the next man, but that is so

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

I liked that the cover had literally NO resemblence to the Star Wars movies. Yet the entire first side of the record is Disco versions of all the Star Wars music.

• I liked that the cover had literally NO resemblence to the Star Wars movies. Yet the entire first side of the record is Disco versions of all the Star Wars music.

Yeah, Meco had a nice little scam going there for a while...everytime a new Star Wars movie came out, he followed that right up with an album of disco versions of that movie's soundtrack. The one pictured is the one everybody talks about, but there were others...he was around for quite some time.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

that's insane that people don't know that song.. this shit is making me feel real old.

you might wanna bust some White Lion while you're at it man.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    come on people! I knew what it was the second I heard it on AD. They would play that song on the radio all the time!

come on now.

It's the same "Final Countdown" they play at just about every damn pro sports event in the United States, right? With the cheesy little keyboard lick?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Indeed, this record is all over the bins here, because Europe was from our neighbor country Sweden. 'Final Countdown' was a HUGE hit when it came out. Everyone was digging this when I was 12-13 years old. Not a good look at all. They also had other hits like 'Rock The Night' and 'Carrie'. 'Final Countdown' has had a big revival here for a couple of years, due to the fact that danish telephone company Sonofon used it for a long-running ad campaign. The funny thing is that all the members had fake star-quality names like Tony Reno. For example, the singer Joey Tempest's real name was Joakim Olsson. Yes, Europe is very goofy.

• I have a hammond 45 at home (purchased pre-portable) that has 'Wade In The Water' b/w 'Night Train' (I think, not 100% sure of the flip), but two songs that seem to indicate some scorching R&B heat. I get home and put it on and it sounds like it's being played on a pipe organ in a cathedral somewhere. Very jarring....

• For those who can't see the pic clearly, this is a album Horace Silver did on his on Silveto label in the 80's. The name of the album is entitled "Music to Ease Your Disease" and on the cover Horace is dressed in a doctor's suit with a stethoscope around his neck. I actually have this album and always laugh everytime I look at it.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    That Evel Knievel record, shits hilarious.

• I liked that the cover had literally NO resemblence to the Star Wars movies. Yet the entire first side of the record is Disco versions of all the Star Wars music.

There's a copy of this sitting at a thrift store near me. I despise most Star Wars covers and a disco cover doesn't really appeal to me.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

There's a copy of this sitting at a thrift store near me. I despise most Star Wars covers and a disco cover doesn't really appeal to me.
    I didn't buy it for the music

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Does anyone have that killer clown calliope jawn? This one right here:

This one also had advertisements on the back for some even crazier looking records on the "Electric Lemon" label.

(NoThreadHijack): Sidenote, anyone heard any funk calliope records?

Peace
    T.N.

• damn..Europe was bigtime..how yall aint know that

• I regularly buy goofy records, take your pick.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    damn..Europe was bigtime..how yall aint know that

sayin

I drop that over planet rock

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I liked that the cover had literally NO resemblence to the Star Wars movies. Yet the entire first side of the record is Disco versions of all the Star Wars music.

Come on! Theres a copy of that sitting in every record bin anywhere! How have you been digging for any length of time and not had to flip past like 10 copies of it in every store?

Also, buying europe records on ebay? Next level.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    The OG facemelter

Come on! Theres a copy of that sitting in every record bin anywhere! How have you been digging for any length of time and not had to flip past like 10 copies of it in every store?

Also, buying europe records on ebay? Next level.

Never said I hadn't seen it before.