Dangerdoom #41 on Billboard

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    get Tres records to buy you some billboards

nice.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    how bout Akai?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    word up.. Maybe we should sell half the interest of the PUTS album to, say, family Guy. I'm bugging. Anxious though, as I seat here typing I am avoiding going downstairs to the studio and working on said album. Maybe Mountain Dew will sponsor our album, or 7-11. I want Billboards and bus stops god dammit!!!

talking about records to avoid actually making records.

• all we can afford at Tres is a copy of billboard Magazine. We're holding our funds to bid on signing Docboy's big debut.

all we can afford at Tres is a copy of billboard Magazine. We're holding our funds to bid on signing Docboy's big debut.
    your gonna need those funds.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Does it really have like meatwad interludes and shit?

Im sorry, i just think that shit is dumb. Anyone of you dudes on here could basicly do what DM does. I read he makes his shit on acid pro or something.

Mix up some cartoon samples and get a monsterous corporation behind it.

I havent even heard it yet, but it just sounds stupid.

• I know. "I don't like nothing" on Docboy unlimited is going to be a hot commodity on the net next year.

I'm out, back to work.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    This album left me with that feeling all over...I didn't hate it, but I felt like I've heard soooo much of this style of production that it left me wanting something more. It's just a rehashing of styles I've heard before without much thought to "pushing things forward".

Perhaps I'm just in an "I-want-hip-hop-to-evolve" type mood, but that's where a lot of albums are leaving me right now...

PS Thes, are feeling that the attention the album is getting is undeserved?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This album left me with that feeling all over...I didn't hate it, but I felt like I've heard soooo much of this style of production that it left me wanting something more. It's just a rehashing of styles I've heard before without much thought to "pushing things forward".

Perhaps I'm just in an "I-want-hip-hop-to-evolve" type mood, but that's where a lot of albums are leaving me right now...

yeah it sounds very 2003

DM does some cool ish with them choppy drums, but for the most part any experienced producer with good records could school the kid...

• i definately think the adult swim audience played a significant role in boosting sales. that, and the whole grey album shit put some good hype behind it. although personally i think it's boring as fuck. dangermouse = and doom has sounded the same on every verse i've heard from him in the past 2-3 years. bo-ring.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    One reason it might be doing okay is that it retails most places for $12.99 brand new.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    all we can afford at Tres is a copy of billboard Magazine. We're holding our funds to bid on signing Docboy's big debut.
    Aww, why does he get a shot? Boo-oo!

Aww, why does he get a shot? Boo-oo!

because he doesnt like me. It just condusive to working relationships.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    cartoon enthusiasts?

as a cartoon enthusiast i'd like to chime in and say i did not purchase this record.

cartoon enthusiasts?

as a cartoon enthusiast i'd like to chime in and say i did not purchase this record.

Nor should you have. I did. ANd like I said, It was good for a listen or 2. Also, im a sucker for good packaging. And that it had....

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I don't know man I think everyone is over analyzing the whole concept and the sound of the album. Who cares how they put it together or who could do better. To me it's a funny solid album, that's it!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I don't know man I think everyone is over analyzing the whole concept and the sound of the album. Who cares how they put it together or who could do better. To me it's a funny solid album, that's it!
    And if people said they didn't like the album, you would ask why and the "over analyzing" just so happens to be the reason why people don't like it.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I'm going by what people have said on this forum. The fact that people on here are comenting on an album that they admit haven't even listened to it yet. And the fact that people keep talking about production techniques like there's a standard formula for making beats is what I'd have to consider over analyzing.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I just listened to a bunch of sound samples online and I didn't like it. Boring all around. I didn't think it would be possible to sample Soul Thing and make it boring. Talk about easiest damn sample to make a banging track out of. I don't know much about production techniques, but I do know when I don't like music and this fell in that category.

DJ Ferrari

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    And the fact that people keep talking about production techniques like there's a standard formula for making beats is what I'd have to consider over analyzing.

No there isnt a standard for making beat, but DM isnt making "crazy" beats and living up to all the hype. People talk about dude like he's got beats for days and not only quantity but quality??? His shit is eh, and to me flat out boring, and trust me I know - I use Acid Pro 4.0... Same thing with fruity loops for all you 9th fans, after a short while - its just BORING...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i got the single and thought it was really strong, which suprised me, as i'm not a dangermouse fan and kinda thought Doom has been on autopilot... but, i thought it was a good, strong, hip hop record and i'm considering getting the LP...

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I just listened to a bunch of sound samples online and I didn't like it. Boring all around. I didn't think it would be possible to sample Soul Thing and make it boring. Talk about easiest damn sample to make a banging track out of. I don't know much about production techniques, but I do know when I don't like music and this fell in that category.

DJ Ferrari

Fair enough Ferrari. Sometimes the internet snippets don't do justice. So at least check it out on a nice system. I for one am not a big Danger Mouse fan either nor of Doom's shit but I enjoyed this record. I think it works.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Sometimes the internet snippets don't do justice.

So true... it works both ways too. Sometimes they do more justice. I dunno how many times I'd listen to a snippet on Turntable Lab or somewhere else and then get the record to find out it's complete garbage other than a cool 30 second intro.

I probably won't buy it considering I already reached my 1 hip hop album purchase per month quota with the Ohmega Watts joint. Now that one I really liked. I'll just keep doing my live blend/remix/mashup or whatever the kids are calling it of Soul Thing and the Z Trip Motown Remixed bonus beats. That way somebody can come up to the turntables and say, 'OMG! Is that a Dangerdoom sample?'.

DJ Ferrari

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Yeah that Ohmega Watts album is nice. I'v had that internet snippet problem before too. I'd listen to something and get it and one verse is dope or the beat turns out to not sound so good. Happens all the time. Other times you just know it's nice.

• The Dangerdoom record...

I haven't even heard that shit and I love it.

I love Doom, even his subpar releases... and I happen to think the Grey album was fantastic.

Peace...
    FNM

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    don't look now,
    but I think i just caught someone NOT hating.

I love the Danger Doom LP, btw. Big fan of Doom's stuff.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Doom is getting boring on the mic. I like that simple, easy sort of production. If that album came out 10 years ago it would have been dope and considering I still buy rap album from 10 years ago and find them dope I am hard pressed not to like this one.

However, I wouldn't go around recommending this album to everyone I knew. And my dad isn't enough to like either Aqua Teen or rap.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    I don't understand why some of you hate so much. What's wrong with selling records to cartoon fans ? It's not like they jump on some bandwagon, Dangerdoom made beats for Cartoon Network years ago. And Doom has been sampling cartoons since KMD : Sesame Street, Scooby Doo, Fantastic 4... I'm glad he finally makes a little cash from it.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I had it on promo CD for a while, played it a lot - and just bought the UK vinyl edition with the dope packaging (Ehquestionmark again, for any fans).

I like the beats (particularly the track that samples 'Morning Broadway'), Doom's rhymes make me smile and I haven't tired of Master Shake's telephone complaints yet either.

Each to their own!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Big fan of Doom but just felt his conversational style didn't merge particularly well with DM's production. I think Dangermouse needs a more upbeat rapper over the beats otherwise it kinda drifts away into nothingness. Probably why my favourite thing he's been involved with is the DM & Gemini album.