Dangerdoom #41 on Billboard

PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Crazy! What you guys think of the new album??

Comments

• I don't think anyone should worry about clearing samples anymore if that shit can hit 41 without getting a c&d.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    We'll probably see the sample clearence hammer fall soon enough now that the album hit this big.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I don't think anyone should worry about clearing samples anymore if that shit can hit 41 without getting a c&d.

No kidding. It's like one big add for library records.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I don't think anyone should worry about clearing samples anymore if that shit can hit 41 without getting a c&d.
    Adult Swim is connect with some sort of major corporation, right? I'm sure it'll be handled quick fast if it amounts to any sort of issue.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Adult Swim is connect with some sort of major corporation, right? I'm sure it'll be handled quick fast if it amounts to any sort of issue.

Yeah I think they're hooked up with AOL. We shall see.

• I don't think anyone should worry about clearing samples anymore if that shit can hit 41 without getting a c&d.

No kidding. It's like one big add for library records. a television show[/b]

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    who's buying this thing?

yo thes...true da fuck dat!

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I actually bought it. I cant believe it but I like it. I usually dont like this type of stuff. I think I like the ATHF on there.

I read an article that claimed they cleared everything on there.....

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    who's buying this thing?

I ordered a copy

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I liked the album too. I usually don't go for Doom stuff, mainly cause the beats but Danger Mouse hooked this one up. I can finally listen to something of his all the way through. Anyway, I can believe they cleared everything, I mean shit it took them almost two years to complete. And if they used Library records, they probably paid a flat licensing fee anyway and AOL got money.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    all that shit was cleared beforehand. i read about it in... um... BUST. my kid's mom gets that shit, and it was on her coffee table, i swear.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    yo BUST got some of the best covars evar

and yo if it's in BUST you best believe it, right?

AOLTIMEWARNER OWNZ YER MEDIA

• If it's all cleared then I'm going to post samples for you danger lovers as a public service. I mean, I could've let Strings Pop play out for mad bars too, but again, I should damn well hope it charts with BILLBOARDS running all city. Jeezus.

• yeah - I'm surprised how many people clear samples now. My homie Ayatollah is doing an instrumental album for Nature Sounds, and they're clearing all his samples. for an INSTRUMENTAL album. thats ridiculous, how well could that do? I'm not clearing shit, so that has me a little scared

I thought the album was OK, it was cool. I'm not super into Danger Mouse though. Grey album was OK, I don't know if he deserves a career b/c of that.

. Grey album was OK, I don't know if he deserves a career b/c of that.

no he doesnt.

I heard he did stuff for the Gorillaz? I didnt even know that shit was still going on. The first one was bad enough.

• who's buying this thing?
    f'real. i don't know a single person who owns, or even digs it. personally, i don't like it at all.

• ...........be back in 5

Nope! doesn't look that way. hmmm.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    who's buying this thing?

cartoon enthusiasts?

Just to clarify: it may be at 41 on the rap chart, but it's at 138 in the Top 200, according to SoundScan.

• and that's from alot of weighted reporting; just saying.

who's buying this thing?

cartoon enthusiasts?

yeah. Thats why I got it. Cuase of Aqua Teen. Oh and the first track I heard was that shit with Ghostface, that is what did it.

But why does everyone care so much since this thing is so insignificant? Who cares who is buying it? Who cares if they cleared or didnt? and why?

• 138 ain't bad. I think something like 90% of all CD releases sell less than 1,000 or some crazy shit like that. Only like .05% of albums per year do better than 50,000. 138 ain't bad at all

• who's buying this thing?

cartoon enthusiasts?

Just to clarify: it may be at 41 on the rap chart, but it's at 138 in the Top 200, according to SoundScan.

It debuted at 41, week 2 it dropped to 98, now it's week 3 - 138. It's soundscaned about 45,000 copies so far.

As far as the album goes - I'm liking about 3 tracks, the rest is all pretty boring IMO.

Doom is doing radio commercials for Cartoon Network now - I heard one yesterday where he was rapping about Boondocks on Power 106.

• You are exactly right and Doc, that's the point. THIS is the album beating almost all of the non-commercial hip hop albums sales, so it is significant if only for that.

Again, when you have billboards and bus stop ads all city, it should be worth noting what results of it. And if you clear your samples.

• i'd like this album better if that damn milkshake and meatball weren't talking between tracks. shit is kinda corny, imo...

You are exactly right and Doc, that's the point. THIS is the album beating almost all of the non-commercial hip hop albums sales, so it is significant if only for that.

Again, when you have billboards and bus stop ads all city, it should be worth noting what results of it. And if you clear your samples.

yeah i see that.

But I also see this thing as "out of the norm" for non-commercial rap. I mean, it has a built in fan base that would not normally buy hip hop. I mean, my dad wants this album because he is a huge Aqua Teen fan. So judging this along the same lines as other non-commercial rap is unfair. YOu cant hold a PUTS album in the same category unless PUTS had Samurai Jack all over it and was endorsed by the makers.

I enjoyed the album for 1 or 2 listens. I might listen to it again in a few months. But probably not in a few years or longer.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    138 ain't bad. I think something like 90% of all CD releases sell less than 1,000 or some crazy shit like that. Only like .05% of albums per year do better than 50,000. 138 ain't bad at all

Oh, I think the numbers are impressive; I just wanted to correct what looked like a possible misunderstanding.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I actually bought it.

You're stupid.

• word up.. Maybe we should sell half the interest of the PUTS album to, say, family Guy. I'm bugging. Anxious though, as I seat here typing I am avoiding going downstairs to the studio and working on said album. Maybe Mountain Dew will sponsor our album, or 7-11. I want Billboards and bus stops god dammit!!!

• get Tres records to buy you some billboards