Hey, you know what man? Fuck Arons.

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Ive been a staunch supporter for years even when people talked trash about the place. But its gone to shit. The past 3 times Ive been in there they shut the listening station down while im digging for records. Then its closed for the whole night. I buy shit there EVERY time. I dont want any special treatment or anything, but its like the listening station is the last good thing the store has. The vinyl selection went to hell after they hired 8 million underground goober herbs that make me listen to wack aceyalone albums at top volume and put anything with black people on the cover in their personal hold pile. Then the same wack employees sit there listening to shit while they tell me the stations are closed to customers. Weak. The worst part is they all have some idea that they are some kind of digger store with wax poetics up on the wall and Stupid black jazz slipmats and some random employee picks endcap with like a blackbyrds record or something. The holier than though attitude reminds me of academy back in the day except WITHOUT ANY RECORDS. L.A. is really lacking a quality record store. I mean one like paycheck's or TSL or something. I would GLADly fork over the extra dough for dope shit, if I could Listen to it. SHit makes me want to be an mp3 digger.

Comments

• SHit makes me want to be an mp3 digger.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I'd still trade you that store for everyone we got downhere.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yep
    stores got listening stations but aint got shit to listen to!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• Options

I don't know about that.

K.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    But this is L.A.! And it used to be a good store! Im just saying, cant we get any love out here?

• Options
    Yeah, but he's talking about Jamaica and I know for fact that there's some ill stores/dealers down there.

K in Canada.

I don't know about that.

K.

All surplus wax was melted down to make new dancehall 45's and warped and pitted reissuses

Yeah, but he's talking about Jamaica and I know for fact that there's some ill stores/dealers down there.

K in Canada.

probably dealers but not the stores.

• Options
    Here are thcurrent online sales of a store in Jamaica

Bob Marley's Selassie is the Chapel - his rarest single. I once sold this for $3000.

Prince Busters All Stars - City Riot...a ska take on Jive Samba

Dude has consistently the best reggae online (though his grading can be ). THere's a couple other guys I deal with down there that are in his league. You gotta look (and I've never even been there!)

K in Canada

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i have and i can tell you from experience: magnetic is right "all the spots/stores carry new shit...ain't no old shit to be had in stores"

• Options
    Wrong. I buy it weekly.

K.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    you get your shit from dealers not stores.

• Options
    Wrong again. That guy with the records pictured above has a store[/b] in Kingston. It operates like an old COnsumer Distributing in that youo go to a catalogue at the desk and he brings you the records you ask for out of the back.

K.

• Ive been a staunch supporter for years even when people talked trash about the place. But its gone to shit.

The past 3 times Ive been in there they shut the listening station down while im digging for records. Then its closed for the whole night. I buy shit there EVERY time. I dont want any special treatment or anything, but its like the listening station is the last good thing the store has.

The vinyl selection went to hell after they hired 8 million underground goober herbs that make me listen to wack aceyalone albums at top volume and put anything with black people on the cover in their personal hold pile.

Then the same wack employees sit there listening to shit while they tell me the stations are closed to customers. Weak.

The worst part is they all have some idea that they are some kind of digger store with wax poetics up on the wall and Stupid black jazz slipmats and some random employee picks endcap with like a blackbyrds record or something. The holier than though attitude reminds me of academy back in the day except WITHOUT ANY RECORDS.

L.A. is really lacking a quality record store. I mean one like paycheck's or TSL or something. I would GLADly fork over the extra dough for dope shit, if I could Listen to it.

SHit makes me want to be an mp3 digger.

Yeah man I've been hearing this about LA. I know some really deep dudes out there though (nosoulstrut) so I don't understand how the city can stand for this!

I don't understand how mofos like this can make money... I mean, hold piles? I get all guilt-ridden any time I take something home more than $10-15! Sheeyit... I'm selling records. The fuck I look like...??? Shutting the listening station down? What is it, a construction zone? How do you "Shut down" the listening station? Is it an acoustic room? Do gerbils need to run a treadmill? I mean fuckign turn the record player on, how hard is that? I digress though, luquor is a hell of a drug...

I mean in NYC there are five, six good stores!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Agreed, I think NYC is spoiled with the stores. SoCal is a bit spoiled with the shows and dealers though.

Hell Rhino was even starting to suffer (undergoing the same downfall as Aron's but with the hipster/indie rock guys) from what I remember. I think they were trying to stay afloat with Amoeba moving in on them though. Bsides, maybe you need to hit up Record Surplus more? I know there is a boutique shop in Silverlake, right? I think I visited it once before I left in 2002. How's that one now?

I'd be down to make a quality[/b] LA store happen, I'm bored.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    look man...i know you are the big reggae/ska dude on this site but in all of JA there might be 2 spots that you can buy old reggae raers in a store...otherwise you are gonna be shit outta luck, runnin' round the island wild goose chase style on some "soon come" bullshit that yields nuttin but headaches (believe me man i was there in 2001). plus when you do find 'em "JA will make you pay"...its all about the cash.
    but its all love-

Dude has consistently the best reggae online (though his grading can be ). THere's a couple other guys I deal with down there that are in his league. You gotta look (and I've never even been there!)

K in Canada

You see that's really the problem those dont materialize in physical stores here,for everyone to get a chance to pick though it.They're sorted then sold online as soon as it's acquired by the dealer/store owners.Usually the older people that collected those 45's back in the days dont come up off it easily either.Yes youre right the record grading here is

• Options
    2 is more than "none". You're probably right, but I won't profess all encompassing knowledge of an island I've never been to (and neither should someone who's visited there once). I just know who I talk to, and that ill ass records end up at my door.

Everyday is Christmas, K.

• What's the deal with Record Recycler, Record Surplus, House of Records, etc out there? Are those guys still around? And I heard about mad spots out in the suburbs like Long Beach and Inland Empire...

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i haven't been to a store on that side of town in years

Ive been a staunch supporter for years even when people talked trash about the place. But its gone to shit.

The past 3 times Ive been in there they shut the listening station down while im digging for records. Then its closed for the whole night. I buy shit there EVERY time. I dont want any special treatment or anything, but its like the listening station is the last good thing the store has.

The vinyl selection went to hell after they hired 8 million underground goober herbs that make me listen to wack aceyalone albums at top volume and put anything with black people on the cover in their personal hold pile.

Then the same wack employees sit there listening to shit while they tell me the stations are closed to customers. Weak.

The worst part is they all have some idea that they are some kind of digger store with wax poetics up on the wall and Stupid black jazz slipmats and some random employee picks endcap with like a blackbyrds record or something. The holier than though attitude reminds me of academy back in the day except WITHOUT ANY RECORDS.

L.A. is really lacking a quality record store. I mean one like paycheck's or TSL or something. I would GLADly fork over the extra dough for dope shit, if I could Listen to it.

SHit makes me want to be an mp3 digger.

Yeah man I've been hearing this about LA. I know some really deep dudes out there though (nosoulstrut) so I don't understand how the city can stand for this!

I don't understand how mofos like this can make money... I mean, hold piles? I get all guilt-ridden any time I take something home more than $10-15! Sheeyit... I'm selling records. The fuck I look like...??? Shutting the listening station down? What is it, a construction zone? How do you "Shut down" the listening station? Is it an acoustic room? Do gerbils need to run a treadmill? I mean fuckign turn the record player on, how hard is that? I digress though, luquor is a hell of a drug...

thank you. This is the same shit im saying. I should add also that iVe been MIGHTY forgiving to that store. Even stood up when people dissed it on Soulstrut. But employees standing there listening to shit and telling me I cant is fucking over the line. Straw that broke the camels back.

Aarons is a record store in name only anymore though. They make most of their money off cd's and dvd's and wack indie rap t-shirts. L.A. needs a Bonafide RECORD STORE.

• Options
    HAve you been to his store, yet? I know for a fact that he stocks dope records there - sure if he's sold it online for $$$ it will be expensive.

K.

i haven't been to a store on that side of town in years

You probably missed some shit then. Arons USED to be dope. Thats the reason it hurts so much to see it become so LAME.

• Everyday is Christmas, K.

EEEVERRRRRRYYYYYY DAAAAAAAAAAAY ISSS A HOOLLIIDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAY

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    stick to the JA e-digs man...you'll be the better for it.

• Options
    I'll be down there in January to buy a collection. Watch out now!

K.

HAve you been to his store, yet? I know for a fact that he stocks dope records there - sure if he's sold it online for $$$ it will be expensive.

K.

PM me the info(address & name of store) if you dont want it posted here.

Bob Marley's Selassie is the Chapel - his rarest single. I once sold this for $3000.

Prince Busters All Stars - City Riot...a ska take on Jive Samba

K in Canada

Damn dude. I dont know what you guys are talking about really. But K knows his shit with reggae, so im gonna ride with him here.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    stores got listening stations but aint got shit to listen to!

There's a store in Berkeley I used to frequent. There was lots of good stuff to listen to but slowly more and more of their vinyl was being kept behind the counter. I think eventually 50% of their vinyl was off limits. Then the listening station turntable broke and stayed broken for months. I saw a record I wanted to listen to and ask the clerk if he could play it. He makes a big deal about it, plays 30 seconds of it and then switches it back to whatever he was listening to before.