batmon said:
    DustedDon said:
    Murdock said:
    DustedDon said:
    soulcitizen said:
    on the boogie scene.

this exists?

Stronger than ever. Bigger than Hip-Hop

dont get me wrong, i enjoy slap bass, synth lines and jeri curls. i try to play some tracks out as much as i can, but i can't say there is a single "boogie" scene/night in my city. i wish there was. is this kind of thing bigger in NY/LA or Euro-land?

im just trying to wrap my head around the idea of young hipsters getting down all night to Billy Ocean and SOS band in 2012. id love it, if it happened, i just dont see folks outside of the record collecting/DJ cultures getting down with it. plaese to school me.

Shit anit bigger than Hip Hop thats bullshit, but when I went to the Dam Funk boat ride show he rocked all Boogie joints and the crowd was all kids. Shit was one of the best "concerts" ive ever seen.

Moder and Retro Boogie aint as ubiquitous as Hip Hop.

"Rave is gonna take over"

I've been doing a boogie night in L.A. for 7+ years and the excitement has been growing at an exponential rate. People all around the world come to feel the vibe. And love it. It's like hip hop shows from 20 yrs ago. I know. I've done both. You have seen and heard the music first hand. "Shit was one of the best concerts ive ever seen". says it all. As far is New York is ... It's only now about to feel the Funk from the westcoast. We are on the way.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Lots of boogie and 80s soul being played these days. I'd submit that, in 2012, its far easier to get the younger, cooler party types to dance to a synth-bass r&b 12" from '86 than 60s soul or 70s funk 45. Everyone is sort of over that stuff. Here's a mix my friends just did for their night here: http://soundcloud.com/lazersweat/im-just-a-dreamer

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    batmon said:
    DustedDon said:
    Murdock said:
    DustedDon said:
    soulcitizen said:
    on the boogie scene.

this exists?

Stronger than ever. Bigger than Hip-Hop

dont get me wrong, i enjoy slap bass, synth lines and jeri curls. i try to play some tracks out as much as i can, but i can't say there is a single "boogie" scene/night in my city. i wish there was. is this kind of thing bigger in NY/LA or Euro-land?

im just trying to wrap my head around the idea of young hipsters getting down all night to Billy Ocean and SOS band in 2012. id love it, if it happened, i just dont see folks outside of the record collecting/DJ cultures getting down with it. plaese to school me.

Shit anit bigger than Hip Hop thats bullshit, but when I went to the Dam Funk boat ride show he rocked all Boogie joints and the crowd was all kids. Shit was one of the best "concerts" ive ever seen.

Moder and Retro Boogie aint as ubiquitous as Hip Hop.

"Rave is gonna take over"

I've been doing a boogie night in L.A. for 7+ years and the excitement has been growing at an exponential rate. People all around the world come to feel the vibe. And love it. It's like hip hop shows from 20 yrs ago. I know. I've done both. You have seen and heard the music first hand. "Shit was one of the best concerts ive ever seen". says it all. As far is New York is ... It's only now about to feel the Funk from the westcoast. We are on the way.

The problem i have with your comparison is when Hip Hop exploded many TEENS not club going twenty somethings were dressing the part, trying to rap, dj, breakdance, or electric boogie. Its bigger than just having once a week parties.

I dont see a gang of 15 year olds rocking jheri curls, members-only jackets, and driving a cadillac Seville like some big movement. On the real, id prefer for this shit to stay away from the Adele/Amy Winehouse Retro ubiquity.

Ive played Dam Fuck for my LBE 40 somethings and theyre not fuckin w/ it.

This shit reminds me of when Electro-Clash was hittin hard in NYC. I went to handfull of shows where there folks dressing the part. Duct Tape across their T-shirts and shit. I noticed that it was a specific individual style. There were regular kids and there were the dressed up hardcore fans. That Shit was nowhere to be seen 3 years later.

How can u make a scene out of a scene that already happened in the LBE?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    batmon said:

Yes...modern and boogie to me would be best described as my older brother-in-law's party music. Or for me, schoolbus music.

I think it's cool that those styles have come back to a new audience, and glad that all the obscure finds come with it...but I don't like the false ownership that goes with it.

This shit ain't new.

HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:

Yes...modern and boogie to me would be best described as my older brother-in-law's party music. Or for me, schoolbus music.

I think it's cool that those styles have come back to a new audience, and glad that all the obscure finds come with it...but I don't like the false ownership that goes with it.

This shit ain't new.

Exactly.

Props for exposing the stuff that didnt get light but on the real the music has been played since it came out.
    It never really died in the first place. Throughout the Eighties and Nineties and Miliem old cats folks never let the bangers go.

I do find it challenging to play an album cut from a recognizable artist for folks who grew up with the shit.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    I never said I started any scene. Or, are the owners of any sound. But, we definitely blew it up more than your big brother playing records in his backyard. BTW - Of course, it doesn't equate to the start of hip-hop. I was just trying to get the old folks rilled up.

Murdock said:
    I never said I started any scene. Or, are the owners of any sound. But, we definitely blew it up more than your big brother playing records in his backyard.

You blew it up for a small niche market whose size still pales in comparison to the number of backyard bbq attendees.

Plus, how sure are you that that's not boogie that has been played in most black churches since the early 80's?

Seriously, know thy lane.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    billbradley said:

Oh shit! Looking at this while playing that track in the background had me busting up. That's not moder soul or boogie. I don't know wtf that is. I've never heard anything like it before, and I'm not sure I ever need to again.

HarveyCanal said:
    Murdock said:
    I never said I started any scene. Or, are the owners of any sound. But, we definitely blew it up more than your big brother playing records in his backyard.

You blew it up for a small niche market whose size still pales in comparison to the number of backyard bbq attendees.

Plus, how sure are you that that's not boogie that has been played in most black churches since the early 80's?

I wish you knew what you were talking about. BTW . You are not Black Jesus.

Murdock said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Murdock said:

I wish you knew what you were talking about. BTW . You are not Black Jesus.

I've consulted my neighborhood council and it's concluded: boogus.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Blowing it up? This is what was played on mighty 690, kday 1580, then kjlh and now 92.3 everyday all day broadcasting across te entirety of LA (plus Art Leboe).

I got homeboys who have been sitting around playing dominoes to this shit since they stopped killing fools in the early 80's. It is what it is and to a large segment of it never went anywhere. Check your local car show, funk fest, concert at The Hop, etc. it's actually much much much bigger out here than this thread is giving it credit for. Well maybe not in silver lake but yes everywhere else.

Thank you.

Murdock said:
    But, we definitely blew it up more than your big brother playing records in his backyard.

Wow

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    day said:
    billbradley said:

Oh shit! Looking at this while playing that track in the background had me busting up. That's not moder soul or boogie. I don't know wtf that is. I've never heard anything like it before, and I'm not sure I ever need to again.

The white man overbite dance joke still applies today.

4YearGraduate said:
    Blowing it up? This is what was played on mighty 690, kday 1580, then kjlh and now 92.3 everyday all day broadcasting across te entirety of LA (plus Art Leboe).

I got homeboys who have been sitting around playing dominoes to this shit since they stopped killing fools in the early 80's. It is what it is and to a large segment of it never went anywhere. Check your local car show, funk fest, concert at The Hop, etc. it's actually much much much bigger out here than this thread is giving it credit for. Well maybe not in silver lake but yes everywhere else.

My initial response was to someone who said is there still a boogie scene, like it was a fad. Again, I never said I creating anything. Thanks for defending the funk. BTW I don't live anywhere near Silver Lake.

I would wager that if I crashed a black family's BBQ right now I would be way more likely to hear mostly 2000's FM radio hip-hop and R&B than old school boogie bangers.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Worst thread ever.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    It's summertime in the P.M.G.

button said:
    I would wager that if I crashed a black family's BBQ right now I would be way more likely to hear mostly 2000's FM radio hip-hop and R&B than old school boogie bangers.

:NO:

Murdock said:
    Thanks for defending the funk

button said:

When was the last time youve been to a Black Family's BBQ?

All right, I guess I'm wrong. I was genuinely unaware that like, Zapp & Roger are getting more BBQ spins than Jay Z, One Way over Mary J Blige, Midnight Star > anything made in this century... .

button said:
    All right, I guess I'm wrong. I was genuinely unaware that like, Zapp & Roger are getting more BBQ spins than Jay Z, One Way over Mary J Blige, Midnight Star > anything made in this century... .

It depends on the household. A lot of Classics are gonna get heard. Disco, Boogie, R&B, Hip Hop Soul, Reggae.

Grandma doesnt wanna hear Trey Songz for 7 hours.

Private Mind Garden BBQ

>.

Murdock said:
    Private Mind Garden BBQ

Nikki Minaj Vs Alexander O'Neal

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

I know where there's healthy boogie scene.

• batmon said:

Grandma doesnt wanna hear Trey Songz for 7 hours.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    batmon said:
    button said:

When was the last time youve been to a Black Family's BBQ?

The Times recently reviewed Black Family's BBQ, no? I've been trying to get a reservation for ages and just can't make it happen.