Is This Modern Boogie?

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
Found a copy of what I think is a strange Lounge LP with one cut that I dig.....that track is on Youtube and described as Modern Boogie.....is it?

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Sounds more new wave to me.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I think they were completely lost.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    Sounds more new wave to me.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    That is some incongruous shit right there. "Cold disco."

• soulcitizensoulcitizen 304 Posts
    synthesisers does not = boogie, there is nothing about that track that would get played on the boogie scene. I'm not sure you can say that's anything other than 'music'

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I don't know what that is but I like how everything in this song seems to be wrong and how all the mismatched stylistic elements don't end up in a clusterfuck but in a uniquely strange piece of in-betweenness. (Don't know how to express this better after 4 hours of sleep and still being slightly drunk.)

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Found a copy of what I think is a strange Lounge LP with one cut that I dig.....that track is on Youtube and described as Modern Boogie.....is it?

Hey Rock,

I would describe modern "boogie" (or soul) as more mid-tempo, heavy on the rhythm section, and typically, features more modern, synthesized musical elements. Here's an example:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    WOOGIE!

If Boogie is late70s/early 80s......what would Moder Boogie be?

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    soulcitizen said:
    on the boogie scene.

this exists?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    It is definitely not boogie. I think you nailed it with "strange lounge". It almost sounds like borderline modern soul.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Cracker Bait.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Exactly.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Slow it down 800% and see if it sounds like Washed Out

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    ^^ "Moustache Soul"

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    DustedDon said:
    soulcitizen said:
    on the boogie scene.

this exists?

Stronger than ever. Bigger than Hip-Hop

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    disco_che said:
    I don't know what that is but I like how everything in this song seems to be wrong and how all the mismatched stylistic elements don't end up in a clusterfuck but in a uniquely strange piece of in-betweenness. (Don't know how to express this better after 4 hours of sleep and still being slightly drunk.)

I agree...."uniquely strange piece of in-betweeness" .

Murdock said:
    DustedDon said:
    soulcitizen said:
    on the boogie scene.

this exists?

dont get me wrong, i enjoy slap bass, synth lines and jeri curls. i try to play some tracks out as much as i can, but i can't say there is a single "boogie" scene/night in my city. i wish there was. is this kind of thing bigger in NY/LA or Euro-land?

im just trying to wrap my head around the idea of young hipsters getting down all night to Billy Ocean and SOS band in 2012. id love it, if it happened, i just dont see folks outside of the record collecting/DJ cultures getting down with it. plaese to school me.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Soulstrut: clueless about Modern and Boogie since forever

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    RAJ said:

:face_melt:

word to braxton

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DustedDon said:
    Murdock said:
    DustedDon said:
    soulcitizen said:
    on the boogie scene.

this exists?

dont get me wrong, i enjoy slap bass, synth lines and jeri curls. i try to play some tracks out as much as i can, but i can't say there is a single "boogie" scene/night in my city. i wish there was. is this kind of thing bigger in NY/LA or Euro-land?

im just trying to wrap my head around the idea of young hipsters getting down all night to Billy Ocean and SOS band in 2012. id love it, if it happened, i just dont see folks outside of the record collecting/DJ cultures getting down with it. plaese to school me.

Shit anit bigger than Hip Hop thats bullshit, but when I went to the Dam Funk boat ride show he rocked all Boogie joints and the crowd was all kids. Shit was one of the best "concerts" ive ever seen.

Moder and Retro Boogie aint as ubiquitous as Hip Hop.

"Rave is gonna take over"

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    DustedDon said:
    Murdock said:
    DustedDon said:
    soulcitizen said:
    on the boogie scene.

this exists?

I and two other strutters play it often as we can. Most of the comments usually comin' from mid 30 to late 40's {*edit 50's to} black crowd
    when approaching the turntables. Everyone usually enjoys it especially if its mixed with other dance tunes.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    First - the song is great!

Second - there is sort of a boogie scene in my city that the under 40s partake in.

Although, it is a mongrel scene - strongly intertwined with hip hop, house, future beat, R&B and other forms of electronic soul.

phatmoneysack said:
    strongly intertwined with hip hop, house, future beat, R&B and other forms of electronic soul.

This is kInd of what I'm saying, I haven't really seen a "boogie/mod" night. It just seems to be confined to record nerds, you can drop an occasional jam but really that's it. likewise you can mix in some "italo" but no one knows wtf it is or will come to your party because you have those words on the flyer. I dunno.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Burns said:

Most of the comments usually comin' from mid 30 to late 40's {*edit 50's to} black crowd

"Oh you play Classics!"

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    This is my video. My bad. Not boogie. But damn the song is weird, yet the shit. I'll change the tag later.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    dang it sounds like the music theyd play if the scooby doo kids got chased by a ghost thru a discotheque.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    RAJ said:

I saw this a while back and still can't believe they bit MIB2, terrible

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Murdock said:
    DustedDon said:
    soulcitizen said:
    on the boogie scene.

this exists?

Boogie has been big in France eversince. I heard great boogie radioshows on local radio stations that didn't seem to have jumped on the bandwagon lately. Seemed they were doing that type of show since decades. http://www.boogie-times.fr is re-releasing the stuff for quiet a while.