IS there a cheap way to ship 20+ records?

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
I'm trying to ship a good amount of LP's to someone and the only method I know is to pack 3-4 per record mailer. seems like there's got to a be a better economical method than this, anyone had to ship a large stack to someone before? Whats the best way to do it?

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I shipped a big box of set sale items to Australia last summer. 40-50 records I think it was and the shipping was around $100. You have to put them in one box, take to USPS and get it weighed, or if you have accurate scales, you can do it via the USPS website.
    Global Express or something. You can see it all on the web site.

Find a box and some styrofoam padding, or else pay another $15-20 for that shit. If you use different padding, you'll pay more in postage.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    There are record boxes that size. Some crumpled up paper is a good way to add padding. Do not ship via cargo container aka The Slow Boat to China. I had a large order where, they wanted the cheapest shipping possible. It took over 3 months for it to get there. He won the charge back. Then, the records arrived. For free.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I used to box them in a larger record box, like one from a distributor. Then wrap that box in large bubble, bubble wrap. Cover it in brown paper or another box and you're good.

• The small size cardboard box from Public Storage is the perfect size for packing records.
    It holds about 150 when totally filled.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Most good mailers (the extendable ones) can usually hold a max of about 9 LPs per mailer, and can then be taped together with others and mailed as one. Individually tape each mailer, then stack them up and securely tape all together. Works great:

> Outer mailer top: two cardboard inserts at top plus 7 records underneath
    > Middle mailer #1: 9 LPs
    > Middle mailer #2: 9 LPs
    > Outer mailer bottom: 7 records + two inserts at bottom.

^ That's32 LPs right there. Add more middle mailers as needed.

Sorry for the grueling / boring-ass post, but I've shipped up to 50 records at once using this method, usually only having to pay no more than $12-15 plus cost of mailers. Also, it seems far more sturdy that just shipping all in the same box. Any more than 50, and I'd just double box the LPs inside two 13 x 13 x 13" double-ply's.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Buy a Uhaul box, stack em upright, and buffer both sides so raers are in the middle.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    Most good mailers (the extendable ones) can usually hold a max of about 9 LPs per mailer, and can then be taped together with others and mailed as one. Individually tape each mailer, then stack them up and securely tape all together. Works great:

> Outer mailer top: two cardboard inserts at top plus 7 records underneath
    > Middle mailer #1: 9 LPs
    > Middle mailer #2: 9 LPs
    > Outer mailer bottom: 7 records + two inserts at bottom.

^ That's32 LPs right there. Add more middle mailers as needed.

Sorry for the grueling / boring-ass post, but I've shipped up to 50 records at once using this method, usually only having to pay no more than $12-15 plus cost of mailers. Also, it seems far more sturdy that just shipping all in the same box. Any more than 50, and I'd just double box the LPs inside two 13 x 13 x 13" double-ply's.

This.

Finally figured this out a few monthes ago after years of shipping 10-20 records at a time overseas. Makes the most sense and saves the most $, expecially if you only have record mailers available as mailing material.