I’m listening to a George Harrison record now and

13»

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    i am not a fan of any of the beatles' solo work (with the possible exception of pete best)

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Old Brown Shoe

that reminds me Paul played drums on Ballad of John & Yoko as well.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    For real though, Yoko was the best solo Beatle.

Not to hijack but I'm listening to James Brown "Reality". What a piece of shit! Am I missing something what are you dudes hearing in this? Some totally overrated bullshit if you ask me.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    For real though, Yoko was the best solo Beatle.

no, billy preston was!!!

as far as yoko goes, about the only time i can deal with her is on the b-sides of john lennon singles (like "touch me," an avant-garde screamfest heard on the back side of "power to the people"). a whole yoko album would wear out its welcome QUICK.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    i thought octopus was the B-side to harrison's Something?

maybe im wrong.. but that wasnt a huge hit either.

"Something" is a song written by George Harrison, originally released on the Beatles' last chronological album, Abbey Road by Apple Records. It is the Beatles' song with the second-most cover versions ??? about a thousand ??? trailing behind "Yesterday," which has three times that number. BMI has certified "Something" as the 17th most performed song of the 20th century, with over five million performances. Released as a single in the US and UK with a B-side of "Come Together," breaking multiple precedents set by the Beatles, in that it was George Harrison's first and only A side on a Beatles single, and broke the EMI rule with the Beatles against releasing any singles of tracks already available on an album.

Chart Positions: UK #4 - USA #1

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Been looking for this for years to no avail.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    my gramps had a beatles and Burt Bacharach piano song book. being in goa, india, that had to be an oddity. still waiting for the dr dre and Burt Bacharach collab.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    i thought octopus was the B-side to harrison's Something?

The other side of "Something" was "Come Together." I seem to recall both sides being charting hits.

Yes, and a historic note:

This was one of the last 45's where both songs charted in different spots, which was common up until this point. "Something" was getting a bigger nod (which was good for George), but Billboard decided to put them together and it became the first single to chart as a "double A-side". While there were many singles up to this point where both songs did well, it was the first time both songs went to #1 at the same time.

Another perfect example is Queen's "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions". While "We Are The Champions" was the actual single, some radio stations played "We Will Rock You" as the hit. Some stations would play them both, back to back, and to this day you still hear them like that. Which of course means double royalties.

His Beatles songs would make a very nice disc. Has this been done commercially?

There was a Capitol comp in 1976 or so called [i]The Best Of George Harrison[/b] which was half Beatles/half solo. Never an official comp with just the George tracks.

my favorite Beatles tune is a George song, "Its All Too Much"...

FUCK YEAH, the stereo effects on that track are

the video from magical mytery tour for that song is dope as well

Yellow Submarine

Paul played the drums on Dear Prudence, USSR and Wild Honey Pie.

Don't forget "Birthday" and "Why Don't We Do It In The Road". When you listen to The White Album, you can tell the difference between Ringo and Paul, and fortunately he followed it up with what he did on "The Ballad Of John & Yoko" and of course what would be his first solo album.

Personally, while Ringo as a drummer was consistent in his time with The Beatles, I feel he was much better when the group broke up, and he started doing session work. Check out the work he did with B.B. King, or The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions album, along with his own solo work. Someone already mentioned "It Don't Come Easy", but also listen to its B-side, "Early 1970" or one of my favorite Ringo songs (actually written by George), "Photograph". Not exactly Nick Mason by any means, but he did loads of session work. I guess at that point it was like "hey, I'm Richie, you want me, I'll play drums with you".

Paul played the drums on Dear Prudence, USSR and Wild Honey Pie.

Don't forget "Birthday" and "Why Don't We Do It In The Road". When you listen to The White Album, you can tell the difference between Ringo and Paul, and fortunately he followed it up with what he did on "The Ballad Of John & Yoko" and of course what would be his first solo album.

"The Ballad Of John & Yoko" is a tune and a half, reminds me of bob dylan's subtaranean sickness

• Last night the wife said,
    Oh boy, when you're dead
    You don't take nothing with you
    But your soul -

THINK!!!!!

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts

BTW his Beatles output is incredible. I think you could get a very well respected greatest hits package out of it.

Taxman
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Here Comes the Sun
    Within You Without You
    I Me Mine
    Long, Long, Long
    Something
    Savoy Truffle
    I Want to Tell You
    Think For Your Self

Seriously, alot of my favorite Beatles songs are right here on this list. George had lots of talent. I just don't think he clamored for the spotlight.

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts

With Vassar Clements playing fiddle. RIP.

Co-Sign

i got my mind set on youuuuuuuu i got my mind set on you

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    as for george i hate to say it but he's overated if you ask me. almost all the best beatles licks and solos were played by macca and lennon. dude quit the band numerous times and had nominal creative input on numerous key albums (peppers in particular). additionally he wrote the single WORST song in the beatles entire catalogue in Piggies.

then he subjected us to tom petty, jeff lynne et al durring the 80's. and i wont even get into the wilburys.

http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=13KQ93NL15KPM37Z5ORR74DNLQ

- spidey

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i got my mind set on youuuuuuuu i got my mind set on you

Man, did he ever do a Job on that tune - the original 60's version (by R&B singer James Ray) is rather undistinguished. When Harrison's version was a hit, I remember killing time in a thrift store, looking through the 45's, when this song erupted from a portable radio and a six-year-old kid started singing along with it. That renewed my faith in rock & roll right there and then.

• This thread is some funny shit. Love 'em or hate 'em, the Beat-Alls always seem to generate mucho debate. Most just have to face facts. They were a phenomenon that will never be repeated in our lifetimes. Best just to embrace their music 'cause there's no escaping it. A lot of our heroes have succumbed. Ramsey Lewis, George Benson, Booket T & The Mgs based whole albums off of them. Otis Redding did Daytripper & was doing his own answer to Sgt Pepper before he passed on. Nina Simone has performed a slew of Harrison. Motown, Slick Rick, Fat Boys.... list goes on. Check out this other intelligent debate I coincidentally came across the other night.

http://oldschoolhiphop.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~7766.asp

All right fellow music lovers. Rant over. You can go back to hating T.R.O.Y. & all that other overrated Hip Hop.

• fave post-breakup solo things:
    instant karma
    photograph
    imagine (maybe? i think there are others i'm forgetting because it's 4:30 am and i'm drunk)

but don't be frontin on solo ringo
    photograph is a masterpiece

This thread is some funny shit. Love 'em or hate 'em, the Beat-Alls always seem to generate mucho debate. Most just have to face facts.

This thread is some funny shit. Love 'em or hate 'em, the Beat-Alls always seem to generate mucho debate. Most just have to face facts. They were a phenomenon that will never be repeated in our lifetimes. Best just to embrace their music 'cause there's no escaping it. A lot of our heroes have succumbed. Ramsey Lewis, George Benson, Booket T & The Mgs based whole albums off of them. Otis Redding did Daytripper & was doing his own answer to Sgt Pepper before he passed on. Nina Simone has performed a slew of Harrison. Motown, Slick Rick, Fat Boys.... list goes on. Check out this other intelligent debate I coincidentally came across the other night.

http://oldschoolhiphop.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~7766.asp

All right fellow music lovers. Rant over. You can go back to hating T.R.O.Y. & all that other overrated Hip Hop.

not to mention the massive amount of dope old skool reggae covers from heptones to susan cadogan "imagine"

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

plaese to bring "Donny Cash" to the strut....that dood would cause some spirited albeit lively discussions...I bet he is the type to get his panties in a twist quick...we need a new dipshit know-it-all.

• Let me just say:

"Blue Jay Way" from the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour album. A true psychedelic gem.

My dad used to play this album quite a bit when I was a kid and "Blue Jay Way" used to really scare the crap out of me!

"please don't be long...please don't you be very long ..."