I’m listening to a George Harrison record now and

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited August 2005 in Music Talk
what a piece of shit. I don't get these Beatles people. This shit fucking blows. Anybody who likes those guys, clue me in.I mean, I wouldn't normally be listening to him anyway, but I pull out random crap records every now and then and throw them on... and this is the most mellow, boring, non-catchy trash I've ever heard. WTF?

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    BAN

• Did it sell well?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    BAN

I'd just like some enlightenment here. I just threw on a Burt Bacharach record and I like it better than the Harrison record already... and nobody but Austin Powers and 65 y/o grandmas like Bacharach.

Did it sell well?

good q, i have no idea.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Well I'm sure AP knows some obscure GH song that will blow your mind. But I never really got into him as a solo artist. The Beatles were great and catchy, plus they did do a lot of cool experimintation. But it's a major craze that took people over and so people are not really willing to say "such and such project sucks" People pretty much just say they are all the greatest.

Paul and John are the only ones that put out good LP's. Ringo's stuff can blow really bad.

I don't think we even want to get on the whole Beatles debate.

So let's keep it to George. Nice guy, great guitar player, but his solo music doesn't really do anything for me.

• Did it sell well?

good q, i have no idea.

I just checked RIAA and the dude has sold (shipped?) 10.5 million records.

Did it sell well?

good q, i have no idea.
    I just checked RIAA and the dude has sold (shipped?) 10.5 million records.

can you check individual albums?

• Sure. ALL THINGS MUST PASS did 6 million.

John Lennon sold 13.5 mil

Paul sold 14 mil

*in the US

how about... Somewhere in England?

• Well I'm sure AP knows some obscure GH song that will blow your mind. But I never really got into him as a solo artist. The Beatles were great and catchy, plus they did do a lot of cool experimintation. But it's a major craze that took people over and so people are not really willing to say "such and such project sucks" People pretty much just say they are all the greatest.

Paul and John are the only ones that put out good LP's. Ringo's stuff can blow really bad.

So let's keep it to George. Nice guy, great guitar player, but his solo music doesn't really do anything for me.

???????? Are you serious ??????????

I saw and old top 5 list from radio stations in the 70's and this LP was on almost all of them. Doesn't make it good....cuz the reast of that list was Elton John and the other Beatles solo stuff.

Well I'm sure AP knows some obscure GH song that will blow your mind. But I never really got into him as a solo artist. The Beatles were great and catchy, plus they did do a lot of cool experimintation. But it's a major craze that took people over and so people are not really willing to say "such and such project sucks" People pretty much just say they are all the greatest.

I realize that it's got great players and all but I'm just not into GH. I'm not saying that it sounds like 12 years olds, I'm just saying I have no desire to own it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I saw and old top 5 list from radio stations in the 70's and this LP was on almost all of them. Doesn't make it good....cuz the reast of that list was Elton John and the other Beatles solo stuff.

Yo, don't knock on Elton John - I find him quite helpful in my attempts to channel the rage of other cultures...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I gotta say that "My Sweet Lord" is a cut and passes one of the crucial pop music greatness tests which is coverage by other important artists. I have a nice version by John Gary Williams on Stax and a reggae version on Greendoor or Bamboo can't remember which. Soufriere this ring any bells?

BTW his Beatles output is incredible. I think you could get a very well respected greatest hits package out of it.

Taxman

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Here Comes the Sun

Within You Without You

I Me Mine

Long, Long, Long

Something

Savoy Truffle

I Want to Tell You

Think For Your Self

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I liked this ^ one back in the day. No idea if it holds up.

This is the one to get:

Somewhere In England always sucked.

Ringo had the best radio singles of all of them.

Paul only did one good solo record, and Emmett Rhodes did one just as good.

My .02c.

Dan

My .02c.

Dan

Octopus Garden was a pretty huge hit.

I have to know what record you like of Paul's!

I think II was great. RAM had some moments. S/T was pretty good to. I guess I'm including Wings with my assesment. Venus and Mars is great as well.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I never got too deep into his solo album cuts, but I like some of his solo hits, especially "What is Life." His Beatles songs are excellent, some of their most ambitious recordings were his compositions. I really like the original version of Dylan's "If Not For You" with Harrison on guitar and backup vocals, too.

Edwin Starr does "My Sweet Lord" on his "Involved" LP, too, which has one of the best covers of a Motown record:

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    what a piece of shit. I don't get these Beatles people.

George Harrison solo albums I don't know that much about, but "I don't get these Beatles people"? Come on dude, the Beatles?

I know we've had this discussion before, but really.

Where's my

graemlin???

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Dudes we're not talking about some sort of private press obscurity that came out in a landfill.

If you're dissing solo George Harrison without ever having really listened to Wonderwall Music or All Things Must Pass, or waiting for AP to "hip" you to the hot track, well, JESUS CHRIST GET A CLUE.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    George harrison is not the beatles. George harrison is a member of the beatles. GW which record was it?

- spidey

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Am i the only one who thinks that Rocket Man, Daniel, Bennie and the Jets and.. :Ahem: ... crocodile rock.... are great songs? Eltons fine by me.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

This is the one to get:

yeah. the movie is too. plus, it stars in-her-prime jane birkin.

• Dudes we're not talking about some sort of private press obscurity that came out in a landfill.

If you're dissing solo George Harrison without ever having really listened to Wonderwall Music or All Things Must Pass, or waiting for AP to "hip" you to the hot track, well, JESUS CHRIST GET A CLUE.

It's infrequent, but I am in total agreement with Douglas here

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Dudes we're not talking about some sort of private press obscurity that came out in a landfill.

If you're dissing solo George Harrison without ever having really listened to Wonderwall Music or All Things Must Pass, or waiting for AP to "hip" you to the hot track, well, JESUS CHRIST GET A CLUE[/b].

It's infrequent, but I am in total agreement with Douglas here

co-beard

• All Things Must Pass is a great album, imo way better than any Paul solo LP.

Lennon had many moments in the 70s, including 2 full LPs worth (by my count)

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    George Harrison's solo material is kind of scattered, especially once Apple folded and he founded Dark Horse Records. Somewhere In England[/b] pretty much sold on the basis of "All Those Years Ago", which he did in honor of John Lennon, and the video of which received loads of airtime on MTV. But the album wasn't as good.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

First off, it was a Beatles song, not a Ringo solo track.

Second off, it was not a hit. It was and still is an album track that gets a lot of radio airplay, but it was never a hit, as it was not released as a single anywhere (B-side, maybe, but never a single proper).

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    the five best Beatles solo albums in order--one for each Beatle:

Plastic Ono Band

All Things Must Pass

Ram

Ringo

• the five best Beatles solo albums in order--one for each Beatle:

Plastic Ono Band
    All Things Must Pass
    Ram
    Ringo

in my life 'Imagine' is probably tops, followed by your top 2.
    can't deal with ram or ringo.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

My .02c.

Dan

I have to know what record you like of Paul's!

I think II was great. RAM had some moments. S/T was pretty good to. I guess I'm including Wings with my assesment. Venus and Mars is great as well.

The Cherries S/T one. We just had a thread about it. I don't know if there is even a McCartney song I like after Cherries. The Girl Is Mine, but only MJ versus.

Ringo on the radio:
    It Don't Come Easy
    Oh My My
    No No song
    You're Sixteen
    Were all good radio hits to me.

He had a slew of top tens after the break up, did better on the radio in the early 70s than his old partners. Also:
    Back Off Boogaloo
    Photgraph
    Only You

He's my favorite Beatle in recent years for doing his all star tours ever year or so, very low ego lets just play thing.

George gets big points for playing the ukelele.

Dan