I’m listening to a George Harrison record now and

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Am i the only one who thinks that Rocket Man, Daniel, Bennie and the Jets and.. :Ahem: ... crocodile rock.... are great songs?

I hope so.

Why do the lamest songs have my name in them? Oh Danny Boy, Danny's Song (Ann Murray wedding hit with the line "We've only just begun, I think I'm going to have a son"). The only good one is Rocky Raccoon, "Daniel was hot, he drew first and shot".

Daniel

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    very low ego lets just play thing

Shocking if true, from the man who angrily proclaimed himself "The Greatest Rock Drummer of All Time"???

Shocking if true, from the man who angrily proclaimed himself "The Greatest Rock Drummer of All Time"???

I've never heard that quote. I know Bernard Purdie pisses him off.

His all-star band gathers a bunch of mid level rockers like, Nils Lofgrin, Joe Walsh, Guys from Guess Who and dudes like that. Everyone gets a chance to step up and sing their hits. His son usually doubles on drums. They play a few of his hits, some Beatles songs and some rock and roll and give the old people their moneys worth from all accounts. I've never been to one, I don't really like that music.

Few would call him the worlds greatest rock drummer, but he was the drummer in what may have been the worlds greatest rock band. And make no mistake, he can drum. My vote at this moment for greatest rock drummer is Earl Palmer. I think he drummed for both Little Richard's Upsetters and Fats Domino's great band, before moving to LA and drumming for everyone else.

Dan

• slushslush 691 Posts
    party seacombe is my jamjamjamjam

you cant front on wonderwall music its one of the best and most diverse beatles related thangs. george is my favourite may he rest in peace you hattttttttters

• very low ego lets just play thing

When did he do that? He can't possiblyhave been serious (or sober)...

• very low ego lets just play thing

i don't think he ever said that, paul said ringo was the best drummer once because every time ringo hit the drums it sounds different, but paul is actually a better technical drummer than ringo, and paul did play drums on a number of beatle songs

i don't think he ever said that, paul said ringo was the best drummer once because every time ringo hit the drums it sounds different, but paul is actually a better technical drummer than ringo, and paul did play drums on a number of beatle songs

I'm not sure that Paul is a better drummer. The drums on McCartney get the job done but don't seem to show that great skill, but I am no drum expert. Ringo had the annoying habit of always riding the cymbals. The drumming on Birthday suck, who's that?

I used to know some of the songs that Paul was rumoured to play on but I can't remember. They may all be from the White LP.

• I'm not sure that Paul is a better drummer. The drums on McCartney get the job done but don't seem to show that great skill, but I am no drum expert. Ringo had the annoying habit of always riding the cymbals. The drumming on Birthday suck, who's that?

I used to know some of the songs that Paul was rumoured to play on but I can't remember. They may all be from the White LP.

i know off the top of my head paul did back in the ussr, paul did a couple drum tracks on the white album

I'm not sure that Paul is a better drummer. The drums on McCartney get the job done but don't seem to show that great skill, but I am no drum expert. Ringo had the annoying habit of always riding the cymbals. The drumming on Birthday suck, who's that?

i know off the top of my head paul did back in the ussr, paul did a couple drum tracks on the white album

I like the drums on BITUSSR. Paul's drumming is real more rock to me than Ringo's.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    party seacombe is my jamjamjamjam

you cant front on wonderwall music its one of the best and most diverse beatles related thangs. george is my favourite may he rest in peace you hattttttttters

the song left off the soundtrack (why??) by the remo four is my favorite from the movie.. "in the first place" produced by harrison.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I just googled and couldn't find it, perhaps that was bull but I did read at some point some where that he said something along those lines...

Never mind that though- back to the point at hand

WONDERWALL MUSIC
    ALL THINGS MUST PAST

and a few other songs...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Paul played the drums on Dear Prudence, USSR and Wild Honey Pie.

And Trojan put out a comp of reggae Beatles covers.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    my favorite Beatles tune is a George song, "Its All Too Much"...and as far as solo George, "Wha Wha" will kick ya in the Boo-Boo...how can ya not like George? seemed like such a nice fella

• ive been driving around "bumpin" rubber soul like it had an 808.

i was just doing that yesterday.

timeless stuff right there.

• my favorite Beatles tune is a George song, "Its All Too Much"...

FUCK YEAH, the stereo effects on that track are

the video from magical mytery tour for that song is dope as well

the only things i listened to when i did acid as a kid was majical mystery tour and the yellow submarine soundtrack

my favorite Beatles tune is a George song, "Its All Too Much"...and as far as solo George, "Wha Wha" will kick ya in the Boo-Boo...how can ya not like George? seemed like such a nice fella

Nice guy, or snooty new age hermit? I like that he played the ukelele and didn't chase the money or adoration. His Beatles songs would make a very nice disc. Has this been done commercially? There must be about 16 of them all great.

Since I am talking about the Beatles so much (what am I a 12 year old girl?) let me say that Imagine is hands down the best solo song.

Dan

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Don't Pass Me By is a fantastic Beatles-era Ringo song. It Don't Come Easy is a favourite song period.

Taxman alone makes George the man. He also produced a bunch of great films. And he was the cutest Beatles to me.

I just saw Hard Day's Night for the first time and found it to be annoying to the max.

Don't Pass Me By is a fantastic Beatles-era Ringo song.

With Vassar Clements playing fiddle. RIP.

• Nice guy, or snooty new age hermit?

musically i always liked john and george the best, but they seemed like assholes, i would rather get high and or drunk with paul and ringo

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I dont think he was, he rationalized it by saying the Beatles were the greatest rock band of all time, since he drummed for them, he thought he could call himself that...I am sure he was joking and drunk we he said it.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i have to go with paul all the way. yeah he was a bit twatty (esp in recent years) but he's also the most well rounded of the group.

paul highlights:

she's a woman
    taxman guitar solo
    guiding band through peppers shenanigans (ie george quiting, lennon being too intoxicated to work half the time)
    white album drumming durring ringo's brief quiting the band ( add why don't we do it in the road to the list)
    Salvaging Abbey Road (there would be no album if paul hadnt concocted the medley at the end)

one could go on and on.

as for solo records i give it to paul anyday.

obviously plastic ono band is a next level record but its not something i can listen to day in day out.

whereas mccartney's solo jams are packed with hits.

McCartney
    Ram
    Band on The Run
    Venus And Mars

not to mention singles like Juniors Farm, Coming Up

as for george i hate to say it but he's overated if you ask me. almost all the best beatles licks and solos were played by macca and lennon. dude quit the band numerous times and had nominal creative input on numerous key albums (peppers in particular). additionally he wrote the single WORST song in the beatles entire catalogue in Piggies.

then he subjected us to tom petty, jeff lynne et al durring the 80's. and i wont even get into the wilburys.

i have to go with paul all the way. yeah he was a bit twatty (esp in recent years) but he's also the most well rounded of the group.

paul highlights:

she's a woman
    taxman guitar solo
    guiding band through peppers shenanigans (ie george quiting, lennon being too intoxicated to work half the time)
    white album drumming durring ringo's brief quiting the band ( add why don't we do it in the road to the list)
    Salvaging Abbey Road (there would be no album if paul hadnt concocted the medley at the end)

one could go on and on.

as for solo records i give it to paul anyday.

obviously plastic ono band is a next level record but its not something i can listen to day in day out.

whereas mccartney's solo jams are packed with hits.

McCartney
    Ram
    Band on The Run
    Venus And Mars

not to mention singles like Juniors Farm, Coming Up

as for george i hate to say it but he's overated if you ask me. almost all the best beatles licks and solos were played by macca and lennon. dude quit the band numerous times and had nominal creative input on numerous key albums (peppers in particular). additionally he wrote the single WORST song in the beatles entire catalogue in Piggies.

then he subjected us to tom petty, jeff lynne et al durring the 80's. and i wont even get into the wilburys.

Are we talking about the same band?

Are we talking about the same band?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    didnt get far into this thread - but got far enough to say I like Burt. I think he's one of the greatest song writers or the second half of the century.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Octopus Garden was a pretty huge hit.

First off, it was a Beatles song, not a Ringo solo track.

Second off, it was not a hit. It was and still is an album track that gets a lot of radio airplay, but it was never a hit, as it was not released as a single anywhere (B-side, maybe, but never a single proper).

I don't even think it was a flipside (and the Beatles were the kind of band where even the flip sides - most of them - charted). It was a straight album track just like you said. Otherwise, I'm in agreeance. Just one of those anal things I've always had...if a song wasn't a single and/or didn't chart in somebody's Top 40, it wasn't a hit.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    To whom it may concern:

I wasn't trying to start a Beatles debate, although I personally could care less about them. That's why I posted this, because it just seems that multi-millions of people hold any Beatles in high regard - which is why it was confusing to me because this Somewhere in England album is total shit - I mean, beyond my disinterest in the Beatles.

So, I got some clarification from a few different angles, and that was helpful.

That is all.

i thought octopus was the B-side to harrison's Something?

maybe im wrong.. but that wasnt a huge hit either.

i thought octopus was the B-side to harrison's Something?

The other side of "Something" was "Come Together." I seem to recall both sides being charting hits.

yeah that's right

speaking of B-side though.. my fave harrison track = Old Brown Shoe

yeah that's right

speaking of B-side though.. my fave harrison track = Old Brown Shoe

i am not a fan of any of the beatles' solo work (with the possible exception of pete best), however, i think paul, john and george really brought it on the singles.

george: "what is life," "i got my mind set on you"
    paul: "hi hi hi," "the mess" (b-side of the unlistenable "my love"), "helen wheels" (badass rockabilly guitar), "junior's farm"
    john: "power to the people," "whatever gets you through the night," "give peace a chance," (those last 3 titles read like a 1970's catchphrase hall of fame, dont it), "happy xmas"
    ringo: forget about ringo, his solo records dont do it for me - hits, misses, none of it