Diplo Feature Article in Latest Rolling Stone

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I feel bad for his kid.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    im surprised he was able to have kids. his pants have been getting increasingly tighter in direct relation to his fame.

for real though, havent read the article yet, but its pretty amazing what he's managed to do

yeah, just read it. that is truly a shame about his kid.

• tripledouble said:
    yeah, just read it. that is truly a shame about his kid.

I don't know what to think. He looks like a cool guy but the end really twisted my guts.

• An impressive career so far but I feel sorry for the kid.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Part-time Dads due to work, custody arrangements, etc. is nothing new; not ideal, but workable.

I know families are volatile and feelings can be highly conflicted, but "I hate my family" just before going through the door after not seeing them was the saddest part imo

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    bassie said:
    Part-time Dads due to work, custody arrangements, etc. is nothing new; not ideal, but workable.

Well from the article he does 300 gigs a year. It said he is in LA roughly 1 week a month. So he would only even be near his kid 20% of the year. Not like I could be a super star DJ even if I wanted, but the time I get to spend with my daughter means a lot and goes by really quickly. You can never get that time back later. I feel sad for both of them to be honest.

Given that schedule, would it be better if he didn't come around at all? I am not being flip - I'm not a parent and am asking sincerely.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    bassie said:
    Given that schedule, would it be better if he didn't come around at all? I am not being flip - I'm not a parent and am asking sincerely.

Now that he's announced to the world that his kid was an accident that he hates, yes.

• he had some killer autions on ebay as formerdiplodocus.

i really admire his hustle and hope he works it out with his baby momma.

peace, stein. . .

• y'all caught that the "i hate my family" thing was a joke about them not getting up to unlock the door for him right?

sounds tiring though

• amphibious said:
    y'all caught that the "i hate my family" thing was a joke about them not getting up to unlock the door for him right?

Yeah, that's how I read it. It also seemed like the author went out of his way to create a "family drama" vibe, but who knows?

Maybe he's trying to make as much money possible right now so that he can bow out and spend more time with his family, although I didn't get that sense from the article. It sounds like he's happy doing his own thing for now, which involves getting paid obscene amounts of money and traveling constantly.

• i just laughed really hard at the florida is good for collecting old records because it is where people go to die.

oh word? diplo sold his records on ebay?

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    I got my Damn Right I Am Somebody from formdiplo

I remember his descriptions used to be hilarious.

Glad dude is getting his shine, but seems like he could do well to man up on the homefront.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    I got my Damn Right I Am Somebody from formdiplo

I remember his descriptions used to be hilarious.

Glad dude is getting his shine, but seems like he could do well to man up on the homefront.

I won the Electric Prunes off him and he addressed it to Robert Smith (of the Cure)...

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    "T-mobile is sending collectors after me"sales. He's a funny guy.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    "That's hot," Rechtshaid says. "Give me the stem, and I'll work on it."

Ha!
    We could all do with a Rechtshaid in our lives.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    amphibious said:
    y'all caught that the "i hate my family" thing was a joke about them not getting up to unlock the door for him right?

Yeah, that's how I read it. It also seemed like the author went out of his way to create a "family drama" vibe, but who knows?

Maybe he's trying to make as much money possible right now so that he can bow out and spend more time with his family, although I didn't get that sense from the article. It sounds like he's happy doing his own thing for now, which involves getting paid obscene amounts of money and traveling constantly.

Yeah, the angle was pretty obvious. But being home for about 10 minutes before hitting the door is pretty telling though. I don't know, there's something kind of sickening about the whole "superstar DJ" lifestyle to me. I mean, I wouldn't mind getting paid obscene amounts to DJ at some Call of Duty programmers party, but doing it day after day after day when you've got a kid? How much money and/or attention do you really need?

I'll always remember Diplos Record Checks on the old TTLab site. Really funny and informative - Pookah, Curtis Knight, Manfred Mann Chapter Two and McDonald and Giles are some of the records I got as a little dude digger just on the strenght of those articles. And the man's made some good music in the past no doubt. I saw him DJ in Stockholm a while ago and it had it's moments but mostly it was all about THE BIG DROPS - compared to when I saw him and Low Budget do a Hollertronix set a thousand years ago and it was so creative and awesome, how they blended all those styles together in a set.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The writer kind of tucked him up there, I thought.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    seemed like the author went out of his way to create a "family drama" vibe, but who

Always gotta keep this possibility in mind, IMO.

I never got into his debut album at all...listened to it many a time trying to get it and just couldn't even pretend to dig it...perhaps over my head.

That being said, dude is stacking paper and getting the goddamn job done...and I'm not about to make sweeping assumptions about his family situation based off of a rolling stone article that (without question) profits off of controversy....if that family tidbit wasn't in the article, it would have been another "look at this DJ's crazy lifestyle, yo" article...pretty convenient twist at the end.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Yes, I wouldn't read too much into those few lines. His baby mama seemed to be set up fairly well in a nice home, able to be full-time mom -- let's not discount how much that makes a difference in rearing a young child and how rare it can be when a dad is all but absentee.

JectWon said:
    hogginthefogg said:
    seemed like the author went out of his way to create a "family drama" vibe, but who

That being said, dude is stacking paper and getting the goddamn job done...and I'm not about to make sweeping assumptions about his family situation based off of a rolling stone article that (without question) profits off of controversy....if that family tidbit wasn't in the article, it would have been another "look at this DJ's crazy lifestyle, yo" article...pretty convenient twist at the end.

yeah, its hard to be impressed or excuse that picture thats painted at the end, but its a bit disrespectful that he said the family situation was personal and he didnt want to get into it and then the writer makes his passing observations of parental neglect the closing theme of the piece.

i cant imagine attending rave like parties 30 nights a year, let alone 300. but i guess huge stacks of cash would help make it tolerable.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Between the strip clubs, the inquiry about what happened after the strip clubs (!), and ending it on the note of "he never sees his son and his son's mom can't believe it," my impression of the writer is that he doesn't really like Diplo, but he's kind of jealous of him.

My overall impression -- Diplo's got a good hustle working, is a little hedonistic, and his personal life is messy (and I'm glad it's not mine). i don't know dude at all, and have enjoyed some of his music over the years. I'm not mad. On balance, it's probably good press for W$s.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    The nature of the dj business & his popularity make it so that he has to make that money quickly because it probably won't last. The family responsibility issues are unfortunate. But if he's out of town 300 days a year, there's only so much parenting he can in fact do. Although he could chose to work in LA for less money instead.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    ost said:
    The nature of the dj business & his popularity make it so that he has to make that money quickly because it probably won't last.

Yeah, this. He's gotta get that money while he can, and if he's smart about it, he'll be very well set up for the future when he can't command big dollars for a gig. As far as the parenting stuff goes, I didn't read it as "OMG family strife!" just that dude is on the grind nonstop, which unfortunately means he can't be around too much to raise his kid.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    I don't think I buy the "DJ business" excuse for Diplo.

I understand its where he came from and its his bread and butter...but at this point, producing tracks for Chris Brown, Usher, Bieber, and by the sounds of it potentially a lot of other stars, he could easily transition his game to a more studio-centred lifestyle and still make heaps of money. I'm guessing he just doesn't want to do that.

After reading four posts saying how sad it all was, I definitely went into the article with a set mindframe. And yup - On re-reading it, I can see that line in a much lighter way. Though, given their non-reaction, it seems like it would be more accurate to say "My family hates me" lol

It is a shitty personal angle to take in the article...maybe the guy is jealous or maybe he's not. Maybe it's a non-story about a dude who has already made it and so the writer needs some fat to give folks to chew on. It worked!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Seems to me like dude took a bunch of random comments, most likely said with a bit of sarcasm, from a few days of hanging out and presented them as if they were structured responses to actual questions.

Can you imagine if someone followed you around for a few days and wrote down all the random shit you said. The interviewer could have been crazy annoying too. Diplo might have been a little more flippant than sincere. But he should have known that anything he said, joking or not, could be framed with some angle.

I can't even imagine what it's like to be in his shoes. He'll make more at one gig than I might make in a year or two or three of full time work. You can't live that kind of life without some sacrifices to normalcy.

• what happens in vegas gets put on blast in rolling stone. the 'journalist' seems like a sniveling twerp of a sensationalist.

• Not even enough free time to make a :hayek: ?