Ethnic Studies in Tucson.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
Figured this was worth sharing here. I have a lot of good friends who are affected by this and are currently fighting at the forefront of this nonsense. If it wasn't for them, I'd probably be embarrassed to rep my city.

No mas burritos.

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    so obtuse and sad

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Not even a parody can make this fool dumber than he already is.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The list of "banned books" in AZ because of this is even more pathetic.

day said:

Not to take away from any of this, but I like how the author couldn't decide on an opening paragraph for that article so was all "Eff it, I'll put 'em both in!"

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    that daily show clip was perfection. arizona bigots, continually with their heads in their asses for the whole world to see. such a shame that folks in the state gotta deal with it.

This move was just announced today. Sean Arce is the director of the program discussed in the video above. Great guy and well-respected by his students and the community. (And a regular at my weekly.) Dudes are out for blood.

TUSD dropping its director of Mexican American Studies

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/education/precollegiate/tusd-dropping-its-director-of-mexican-american-studies/article_a3cf1946-66fe-58dc-b8a7-628a97d2ca02.html

In a nutshell:

"The Tucson Unified School District will not be renewing the contract for Sean Arce, the director of its Mexican American Studies program."

The news of the change in leadership comes as Arce is being honored by a national education group for his work.

The Zinn Education Project selected Arce to receive the 2012 Myles Horton Award for Teaching People's History.

"Tucson's Mexican American Studies program gets it absolutely right: Ground the curriculum in students' lives, teach about what matters in the world, respect students as intellectuals, and help students imagine themselves as promoters of justice," said Bill Bigelow, co-director of the Zinn Education Project. "Mr. Arce has begun work that we hope will be emulated by school districts throughout the United States."

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    The latest mockery of our democracy. Let fools know how we can help y'all down there.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    While we're on the subject of education, has anybody seen Waiting for Superman? Been meaning to check that out for a minute.

*no embedding*

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I haven't seen Waiting for Superman, but my man who is an education prof absolutely hates that movie with a white hot passion. He describes it as an insidious and decontextualized commercial for charter schools, which in his view will only further erode the public schools. Others have liked it.

The situation in Tuscon is completely out of control. I heard an interview with the Superintendent and it was all talking points -- no substance at all. "These people in the Mexican American studies program are using Marx and other Marxist texts like The Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paolo Freire as their bibles....I went into one of the classes one day and there was a poster of Che Guevara on the wall." It just makes my head hurt. So wrong-headed. So wrong. So hostile to empowerment and education. So bad.

Tell your friends to keep fighting, Herm! It's the good fight.

JRoot