Resumes

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Soooo... anyone got any good tips here? I have no important jobs to put on, no extracurriculars of importance, and... yeah, that's about it.I know many of you guys are the same, yet at least a few of you work, so how do this play out?Thanks guys.P.S. I'm looking for a real (read: "professional") job.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    in what field?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    list your soulstrut activity

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    in what field?

The all encompassing "business"

list your soulstrut activity

Yes, yes, I see this working.

Internet Forum Activity:[/b]

- Soulstrut.com:
    - August 2005: Originated post of suspected transexual; deleted by moderator.
    - June 2005: Originated highly controversial post on the merits of circumcision. Reply count: 115
    - May 2005: Called an "ass" by KingMost; rebuttal: that gay bunny pic of him.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    list the following:

- any voluteer work you've done
    - programs you know
    - education
    - awards
    - assets (motivated? positive? hardworking?)

I don't know though..I'm used to dragging a portfolio around

list the following:

- any voluteer work you've done
    - programs you know
    - education
    - awards
    - assets (motivated? positive? hardworking?)

I don't know though..I'm used to dragging a portfolio around

I was actually going to apply for a marketing position or two and attach a faux-restaurant ad I did in photoshop. Yay? Nay?

Depends on who's looking at it...if it a restaurant owner, you may fly. If it's a graphics dude, you may not. Get some business cards made. Market yourself the way you would market a client. yao?!

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    seriously, pull some george castanza shit. Lie your ass off. Unless they have a killer HR department, you can say whatever you want. They know you're lying, they just want to see if they like you. You probably won't sink at any entry level job, so say you worked for vandalay industires. Set up alibis and whanot. If you get caught, you dont get the job.

But if this is a field and a location where you're trying to set up a reputation, then only lie a little -- they expect that much.

• Yay!!

I worked in a Cafe in Santa Cruz named Cafe Milano. It was a popular and nice place. It had stone floors, marble tables, we had jazz, and I played hip-hop there. It was owned by this shady cat from Morocco. When he kept all the money, and didn't pay any bills, we got evicted and there's a Noah's bagels there now. The co owner completely screwed over his silent partner and opened up a bar down the street two weeks later.

Anyway, You could use that because it existed and was successful 'till homie jacked it all. He didn't even pay for the stone floors. I know because I raided the files. I got my pay, though, and 15 pounds of Java City coffee. Other baristas were not so lucky. It wasn't so much luck since I made sure of it, but they lost two weeks pay.

Cafe Milano, Santa Cruz, CA. Not to be confused with berkeley cafe of the same name. Do an ad for an Art Exhibit and Live Jazz since we did that sort of thing.

Depends on who's looking at it...if it a restaurant owner, you may fly. If it's a graphics dude, you may not. Get some business cards made. Market yourself the way you would market a client. yao?!

ehh yeah. I'm just so not excited about another "job". I want my own shit. Of course, yeah... well, we all know the obvious.

Haha, nah, that's ok, if I really need to do that (nah) I've got a place I worked at previously that went out of business.

Good luck...let me know if you need any help. You can say you got me clients in Ohio...

Good luck...let me know if you need any help. You can say you got me clients in Ohio...

hahaha, you guys are some scammers. :P

anything to have less of you here

anything to have less of you here

Ha, well that would do it. The proliferation of my posting largely has to do with me staying home and be DadWritah to my kids, which I won't be doing after I pick up a full time job.

Well I'll still be DadWritah, but I won't be lounging around the house in my underwear watching Dora the Explorer...... in the daytime anymore.

Well I'll still be DadWritah, but I won't be lounging around the house in my underwear watching Dora the Explorer...... in the daytime anymore.

Not an image I needed right before I head to bed

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    When I started looking for full-time positions in New York, I had three resumes: Editorial, Teaching, and a standard chronological resume. It's even better to have the job description in front of you when you're preparing or tailoring it, since the purpose of having distinct resumes is to highlight your most relevant experience for the specific job or field you're applying to. Few people want to read every bullshit thing you've done in your life for pay and while it's more work to personalize it for each position, I don't know many people who read cover letters. It's also completely ridiculous to see a two or three page resume for someone who hasn't had any real world experience.

If you really don't have any internships or corporate experience that you can include before you graduate, I would suggest you look for a job through a staffing agency. Sure, most of those positions are administrative, but at least you'll get a sense of the corporate environment and will be able to firmly articulate what it is you want to do. You might look for a temp to permanent gig and see what shakes out from that.

When I interview entry-level candidates, a big pet peeve of mine is when they say, "I'll do anything!" I mean, yeah, I believe that you're being sincere about that in order to get your foot in the door, but I prefer to hear a more focused, nuanced answer (something that conveys ambition and how this position will advance your career goals).

A good website to review is www.wetfeet.com.

Thanks femfaux, that was actually a very helpful response. I have now removed "I'll do anything" from my job seeking repertoire.

I'll use the rest of your advice as well.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    coselmed, can you recommend any good resources for answering those hand-wavey HR questions? I can handle technical questions in my field, I just want to know what HR wants to hear when they ask me what my worst quality is. If you have any good books / websites I'd appreciate it, since I'm about to start job searching...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    coselmed, can you recommend any good resources for answering those hand-wavey HR questions? I can handle technical questions in my field, I just want to know what HR wants to hear when they ask me what my worst quality is. If you have any good books / websites I'd appreciate it, since I'm about to start job searching...

I hate those fuckin questions. I went to one interview once for a design position and I had to do some lame ass "real world simulation" ...a secretary diffusing an angry customer because the vet isn't in. shit was so fuckin dumb I just left.

I hate those fuckin questions. I went to one interview once for a design position and I had to do some lame ass "real world simulation" ...a secretary diffusing an angry customer because the vet isn't in. shit was so fuckin dumb I just left.

You obviously wouldn't make a good secretary. Or vet, for that matter.

You obviously wouldn't make a good secretary. Or vet, for that matter.

seriously...if i wanted to role play I would have applied for a job at the local dominatrix's place.

Personally, I think people who ask those types of questions are not very bright. I mean, what sort of information do you really expect to glean from that?

On the rare occasions I get asked that sort of question, I'll say something like, "My worst quality is that I occasionally feel too much passion for my work, and become disappointed when my team members don't respond similarly." This actually goes over well for people who work on the account side of marketing because then you immediately segue into your ability to motivate others and be a "team player." If you aren't either of these things or can't pull this one off sincerely, don't say it.

As far as resources go, I would just read the stuff on WetFeet or post more inane questions here and let the SoulStrut folks provide responses (there's always some good, legitimate advice amongst the chaff).

http://www.wetfeet.com./advice/interviewing.asp

Here are some responses to a strength/weakness question:

Good answer: "I think my strengths are in my ability to understand the intent of a project, master the details, and organize and pursue a well-developed project plan. My weakness might be that I can be a little impatient with people who don't keep their commitments, although I'm learning that I get better results by being tactful and persistent in asking questions, rather than making demands." (Shows coherence and a learning attitude; turns a weakness into another strength.)

Pretty good answer: "I'm a good detail person. I do what needs to be done, and I get it done on time. I don't know of anything that would prevent my doing a good job." (Less compelling, but fairly believable.)

Bad answer: "I'm good at numbers, as long as I'm left alone to get the work done. I can't think of any weaknesses." (Turns a strength into a weakness! Refuses to think about weaknesses or opportunities to learn.)

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    One tip I can suggest is to edit your resume for every job you are applying for using the key words used in the original job listing. That way when they run your resume through their filter your resume will pop up because it will have everything they were looking for.

Outside of that they best way to get a job is through referrals and networking. Every job I've had I've gotten through knowing someone that referred me to the hiring manager.

Good luck on your job hunt.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I just got this e-mail that may help you fill out your resume and impress potential employers

Good day to you sir,

A Genuine College Degree in 2 weeks ! 1-206-350-5982 < - ccall n0ww !

Have you ever thought that the only thing stopping you from a great job and better pay was a few letters behind your name???

Well now you can get them!

BA???? BSc?????? MA MSc MBA???? PhD

Within 2 weeks!?????????? No Study Required!???????? 100% Verifiable!

These are real, genuine non accredited degrees that include Bachelors, Masters and Doctorate degrees.??

They are verifiable and student records and transcripts are also available.

This little known secret has been kept quiet for years.?? The opportunity exists due to a legal loophole allowing some established colleges to award degrees at their discretion.

With all of the attention that this news has been generating, I wouldn't be surprised to see this loophole closed very soon.?? Order yours today.?? Just call the number below.?? You'll thank me later.

1-206-350-5982

Mia Voss

real, genuine non accredited[/b] degrees

real, genuine non accredited degrees

I'm totally gonna sign up...right after I get done paying for that genuine faux pearl bracelet I ordered my girlfriend off tv.

real, genuine non accredited[/b] degrees

I'm totally gonna sign up...right after I get done paying for that genuine faux pearl bracelet I ordered my girlfriend off tv.

Me, too...Right after we finish paying off my Diamonique engagement ring from QVC.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    okay - I'll field this one guys. I've been the HR director at a large Midtown Law Firm for the past ten years and look at resumes all day. Here is my advice.

Education:
    Experince:
    Interests:

Education: dont include anything pre-undergrad, dont include GPA unless 3.5 or better.

Experience: make sure there are no gaps, try and have previous employment of 2 yrs and up at each previous place (unless you're just out of school), use bullet points and short action sentences. Match your tenses. Show dont tell. (not "I am a good manager" but "I lead a large group of students in a research project spanning ...blah blah blah").

Interests: Put something impressive like a sport or volunteer work, and then something unique.

Write a cover letter, keep it short no more than 1/2 page. ALWAYS SEND THANK YOU NOTES TO INTERVIEWERS. If you actually hand write it on stationary it makes an impression.

Good Luck.