Dollar Bin Staples

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    NerdAlert said:
    tripledouble said:
    that is actually sweet Bette, but i forgive you. theres some nice tracks besides the break too!

Bette Streisand, Barbara Midler

yup. ive made the same mistake.
    i love "do you want to dance". classic

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    hcrink said:
    NerdAlert said:
    Definitely not super common $1 bin records in LA these days. haha

Seriously, when is the last time you guys have regularly pulled clean copies of most of this shit in a dollar bin? I mean I definitely remember when most of these WERE $1 bin staples, but yeah, not really in the last 5 years.

Wondering about "clean copies" is missing the point.

If it were pristine and clean, it likely wouldn't be in a dollar bin in the first place.

bobtheorange said:
    The Viceroys - Granny's Pad

You must be from the Pacific Northwest. I can tell you with certainty that this LP does not turn up in my neck of the woods ever.

bobtheorange said:

You must be from the Pacific Northwest. I can tell you with certainty that this LP does not turn up in my neck of the woods ever.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Just thought of this. Cool doc about J Rocc, Daedelus, Nobody, and Ras G hittin the WHAT!? Dollar binnns!

• pickwick33 said:
    bobtheorange said:

Yep, but I probably should withdraw that one from the list. I don't really see it around that often here in Portland but I included it anyway since it is always cheap when it does show up.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    hcrink said:
    NerdAlert said:

Seriously, when is the last time you guys have regularly pulled clean copies of most of this shit in a dollar bin? I mean I definitely remember when most of these WERE $1 bin staples, but yeah, not really in the last 5 years.

If it were pristine and clean, it likely wouldn't be in a dollar bin in the first place.

Haha these 'dollar bin' threads always have totally non-dollar bin records posted, with reasons like it must be a regional thing or I didn't think you meant pristine copies.
    If condition isn't a factor then almost anything could be found in the dollar bin.
    And regional? Regional shmegional... dollar bin records are a $1 anywhere.
    That's how I read what this thread is about, anyway.

I saw an OG Miles Davis Relaxin' in the dollar bin awhile back... a hammered G grade, but a dollar. Does that make it a "dollar bin staple"?
    No.

You know what a good dollar bin staple is? That Lee Oskar shit.
    No regional BS, no condition factor, just a clean $1 record anywhere.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    tripledouble said:

ramsely lewis..mother natures son

NOT A DOLLAR.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some more:

-"The Dude"-Quincy Jones.
    -"Too Hot to Handle" and "Central Heating"-Heatwave.
    -"52nd Street"-Billy Joel.
    -"S/T"-Rickie Lee Jones.
    -"Rumors"-Fleetwood Mac.
    -"Bella Donna"-Stevie Nicks.
    -"Something/Anything"-Todd Rundgren.
    -"Light Up the Night"-The Brothers Johnson.
    -All Steely Dan joints from the 70s.
    -"I Want You", "Let's Get it On", "Here My Dear", and "What's Going On?"-Marvin Gaye.
    -Stevie Wonder's LPs from 69-80 (though I'm not a "Secret Life of Plants" or "Hotter than July" fan).
    -"Pressure Sensitive"-Ronnie Laws.
    -Bob James's Tappan Zee stuff (I-IV, perhaps "Touchdown" and "Lucky Seven" as well).
    -"Sunny Side Up"-Wilbert Longmire.
    -"Heavy Horses" and "Aqualung"-Jethro Tull.
    -"A Salty Dog"-Procol Harum.
    -"Songs from the Big Chair"-Tears for Fears.
    -"Unforgettable Fire"-U2.
    -"So"-Peter Gabriel.
    -"Why Can't We Be Friends", "All Day Music", and "The World is a Ghetto"-War.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

BallzDeep said:
    pickwick33 said:
    hcrink said:
    NerdAlert said:

Haha these 'dollar bin' threads always have totally non-dollar bin records posted, with reasons like it must be a regional thing or I didn't think you meant pristine copies.

With the possible exception of that Viceroys record, you won't go broke finding anything listed here. And Ramsey Lewis was too much of a popular seller in his time for Mother Nature's Son to be a collector's item. The breakbeat mob doesn't run everything.

I know exactly what you mean. This thread has been done before, and inevitably some one will list that one "WTF" record that never shows up. But I didn't see a lot of that, this time out.

If condition isn't a factor then almost anything could be found in the dollar bin.

Well, that's the point. No one in this era is going to stick a 99-cent price tag on an album still sealed. Woolworth's has been out of business for some time now.

But seriously, folks - you want some dollar-bin staples? Oh, I got some dollar-bin Staples for your ass. Pun intended.

Out of a multi-decade career, this was the Staple Singers' most popular LP. Three hit singles ("Respect Yourself," "I'll Take You There," "This World") plus album tracks that hold up just as well ("Are You Sure," "We The People," "I'm Just Another Soldier"). Ubiquitous in the cheap section.

• most Cal Tjader albums are worth it for $1 especially this:

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    cali must really be dry cuz all these records turn up in numbers clean in nyc area
    should i be gripping them to sell for 9.99 on ebay?
    i can't be bothered

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Didn't you try that ruse over on vg+?
    Containers full of Superfly and War, to feed the poor and vinyl hungry of the Old World.

An idea that didn't fly IIRC.
    My, how they didn't appreciate that, the heathens.

wow, somehow ive never picked that cal tjader up. probably cause i havent seen it for a buck yet. not whining about its dollar status, but just surprised at myself i havent got it yet since i love some cal. to what other of his records is it comparable ?

gotta second grover washington jr joints.
    reed seed, mr magic (one of those classic covers!!), feels so good (siiiiick), all the kings horses

how would you vote as dollar bin champion? most albums in the bins with highest quality material
    ramsey? grover? steely dan? the police? prince? marvin?
    mj really only has two in their consistently, but they are two of the greatest

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    --Prince's "Purple Rain" and "Around the World in a Day" (these ones always seem to show up)
    --Zapp s/t, "II," "III," "IV U," Roger's "Facets Of" and "Unlimited"
    --George Clinton "Computer Games"

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    If a record costs $2-$5 can it not be considered a "dollar bin"? Aren't we talking about cheap heat here?
    :poor:

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    "Love You Inside And Out" FTW

And over here there's Shakatak and Real Thing 12s for daaaaays at about 50c a throw.

Only fools sleep.

• CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    George Benson "Breezin", "Give Me The Night", "In Flight"
    Bob James "Touchdown"
    Deodato "Prelude", "Deodato 2"
    Grover Washington "Mister Magic"
    *Most CTI from the 70's*
    Paul McCartney "McCartney"
    Neil Young "Everybody Knows This is Nowhere"
    Stevie Wonder, Isley Brothers, Sly Stone, Earth, Wind, & Fire (any from the 70's)
    Ahmad Jamal "Happy Music"
    Roberta Flack "First Take", "Chapter Two"
    Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    hcrink said:
    NerdAlert said:

You can pull great stuff from the dollar bins of many metropolitan areas of the United States, even in 2012. Don't let the Bay Area get you jaded!

• car wash ost

peace, stein. . .

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    The Franks and Grover stuff I consider my own cheap champions. "Winelight" was always cheap in the late 80s - has this somehow achieved Grael status despute having "Just The Two Of Us" on it? It must have sold millions.

jjfad, what is your take on the latest Franks output? Songs are still strong but production is just too clean, no sound of air being shifted in the studio. On the good stuff like "One Bad Habit" and "B'wana" you can almost hear the charts being read; the horns especially had real tone. I mean, the Jef-Lorber-produced era stuff was hella clean, but somehow had decent dynamic range.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

J i m s t e r said:

jjfad, what is your take on the latest Franks output? Songs are still strong but production is just too clean, no sound of air being shifted in the studio. On the good stuff like "One Bad Habit" and "B'wana" you can almost hear the charts being read; the horns especially had real tone. I mean, the Jef-Lorber-produced era stuff was hella clean, but somehow had decent dynamic range.

As far as the new stuff goes, the songwriting is still killer, but production is definitely lacking some rawness. I notice a lot of newer stuff (not just Franks) that have horns that are lacking in the way you descirbed. The horns on Bwana are hard to top. That sax solo is

I've never paid more than a buck for all my ZZ Top, ACDC, and Sabbath records.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Yes! 1- 3.00 opened or sealed.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    If not a buck, damn near close to it...