Soul Strut 100: #89 - Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

#89 - Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

Wikipidea

Released as a double album, Electric Ladyland is a cross-section of Hendrix's wide range of musical talent. It includes examples of several genres and styles of music: the psychedelic "Burning of the Midnight Lamp", previously a U.K. single in the summer of 1967; the extended blues jam "Voodoo Chile"; the New Orleans-style R&B of Earl King's "Come On"; the epic studio production of "1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)"; the social commentary of "House Burning Down"; and the Sixties-era Britpop of Noel Redding's "Little Miss Strange". The album also features an electric reworking of the Bob Dylan classic "All Along the Watchtower", which has been well-received by critics as well as by Dylan himself,[2] and also "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)", a staple of both radio and guitar repertoire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Ladyland

Related Threads

Favorite Hendrix Record

Jimi Hendrix Euro pressing appreesh

Best Rock Album Ever!

Your Top 25 Rock Albums EVAR!!!

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I'm not shocked to see this one on the list. I have both German and US copies of the lp, great record.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    ...and the gods made love.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This the album that really tattooed Hendrix on my DNA.

1983 A Merman To Be is still :game_over:

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I always thought Axis and the outtakes from those sessions was the best Hendrix. The Radio One sessions from around the same time are also spot on. As well as the last stuff he did in Hawaii, Tivoli Gardens, Isle of Wight, etc. And I will forever be looking for the instrumental pre-Are You Experienced jam with Third Stone From the Sun that I used to own on cassette.

Electric Ladyland has some great stuff on it (Voodoo Chile and VC SR, Burning the Midnight Lamp, Watchtower) but I find it a little overindulgent in the studio tricks department. I did take my first hit of acid to this LP, a window pane and 1983 (A Merman I Shall Turn To Be) that completely blew my mind forever.

Axis Bold As Love Instrumental Take 21:
    http://www.divshare.com/download/12603540-6b0

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    My 3rd fave Jimi...I'm an Axis man myself and "live at winterland" though not a real "album" is where the real jaw dropping Jimi (and Mitch) resides IMO. But Electric Ladyland, especially 1983 (AMerman...,) is when I realized what "psychedelic" really means. Ridiculously important LP.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    incredible, essential LP. I love Hendrix & have recently been revisiting a lot of his stuff.

And although the Woodstock performance contained on the triple LP is cliche at this point, the stuff that was not included is some super-duty stuff.

Sorry to go off topic. Another early jam from one of those German imports.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Put me in the camp of people who prefer "Axis" (or "Band Of Gypsies") more, bu there are a few of my favorite Jimi performances on this one. I think "House Burning Down" is one of the most underrated tracks in his whole discography, some really intense playing on there. His Mayfield-style playing on the title track is awesome as well.

• there is some really good doc called "classic albums" about the making of this record...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Its one of the very few albums that i need to set aside an afternoon to enjoy.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Added to the spotify Soul Strut Top 100 list:

http://open.spotify.com/user/1121775350/playlist/54CR4Ce88uFkr6shaMHxVX

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I have never listened to this one until today, it was always a bit too "crusty" to me. Anyway, I really dig it now.

• Theres not much I listened to when I was 16 that I still can now but this is .. 1983 A Merman is the track for me. All time classic.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    Electric Ladyland has some great stuff on it but I find it a little overindulgent

That's how I feel.

sabadabada said:
    Electric Ladyland has some great stuff on it but I find it a little overindulgent

That's how I feel.

• After nearly a decade spent lurking in the shadows of this place, this excellent Top 100 list has finally compelled me to join the Soulstrut ranks. Really glad to see this place isn't above Hendrix. 'Electric Ladyland' is such a great record, even though I'm more of an 'Axis' man myself. I don't think 'Ladyland' can't touch the cohesiveness of 'Axis', but what it lacks in overall structure it more than makes up for in variety. Hendrix really covered a lot of ground on this one, which definitely underlines how many great records the man undoubtedly had left in him. Go to tracks for me are: "Long Hot Summer Night", "Midnight Lamp", "Rainy Day"/"Still Raining", and "1983", but there's really not much (if any) filler here.

Looking forward to the rest of the countdown.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Mr. Attention said:
    After nearly a decade spent lurking in the shadows of this place, this excellent Top 100 list has finally compelled me to join the Soulstrut ranks. Really glad to see this place isn't above Hendrix. 'Electric Ladyland' is such a great record, even though I'm more of an 'Axis' man myself. I don't think 'Ladyland' can't touch the cohesiveness of 'Axis', but what it lacks in overall structure it more than makes up for in variety. Hendrix really covered a lot of ground on this one, which definitely underlines how many great records the man undoubtedly had left in him. Go to tracks for me are: "Long Hot Summer Night", "Midnight Lamp", "Rainy Day"/"Still Raining", and "1983", but there's really not much (if any) filler here.

Looking forward to the rest of the countdown.

Welcome!!!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    I have never listened to this one until today, it was always a bit too "crusty" to me. Anyway, I really dig it now.

plaese to explain "crusty"

The_Hook_Up said:
    finelikewine said:

Waxidermy expression meant to signify overly common rock titles from the 50s through the 70s. Or something.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    The Hendrix album i revisit most is 'Live in the west', a compilation of performances, that compel to me more than the studio recordings, where some of the songs sound a bit too outdated for me. Also Hendrix live captures his energy to the fullest, some of the studio stuff has that studio wizardry i'm not always into when it comes to Hendrix.

The_Hook_Up said:
    finelikewine said:

A definition I found on waxidermy:

Crust - 60s & early 70s classic rock & jazz LPs that are perceived as having 'collectability' by older collectors who don't penetrate beyond the obvious when it comes to collecting records. Simultaneously, these individuals often do not recognize the value of obscure private press psych and SSW rarities.

http://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32034&hilit=definition+of+crust

Crust is the same old 'collectable' records by obvious, huge bands that you've seen on the walls going back to the 60's or 70's, and crust cllectors are people who haven't expanded their muscal horizon since they were 17.

http://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32034&hilit=definition+of+crust

• Electric Ladyland is all about Side 3 for me. Nothing you will ever hear on the radio, and it all flows together in a suite-like fashion. I like the long "Voodoo Chile" on Side 1 as well, but "1983 (A Merman I Should Be)" is the greatest Hendrix song that no one ever talks about.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    So glad to hear that every digs 1983 so much. I always wondered why It is rarely discussed in the crust world but for me it's the height of Hendrix imagination and beauty. The strummed bass chord part is so ill. Probably the record I would have most like to have seen made because it's so varied and features lots interesting cameos.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Anybody ride for Burning Of The Midnight Lamp?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    Anybody ride for Burning Of The Midnight Lamp?

Yes!

There are so many fukin' good songs on this album that no one talks about!
    The CD version gets major play in the car most of the year.
    Most of the non-talked about songs on this album could trump other bands top albums. Sayin'
    Little Miss Strange, a bouncy burner that has a classic Hendrix wah solo at the end,
    Long Hot Summer Night, a great blues joint that makes you want to play guitar.,
    Crosstown Traffic - the fuk!, absolute experience at their best in my book,
    Rainy Day, Dream Away - soul funk blues thick smoke in the room,
    "House Burning Down" - the best song on this album, the fuckin illest intro guitar ever
    that speeds into a sweet blues joint, some of Hendrix best guitar work, I'll take all
    the recording wizardry for this schitt, and the outro, WTF!!!

• Ironically the only record on this list so far that I haven't listened to, but I did buy it once... for my little brother

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Scott Schillo said:
    Electric Ladyland is all about Side 3 for me. Nothing you will ever hear on the radio, and it all flows together in a suite-like fashion. I like the long "Voodoo Chile" on Side 1 as well, but "1983 (A Merman I Should Be)" is the greatest Hendrix song that no one ever talks about.

QFT.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    Sorry to go off topic. Another early jam from one of those German imports.

YES, This is one of my all-time favorite Hendrix cuts.. right up there with Happy Birthday.. The Curtis Knight stuff is best without Curtis Knight singing on top.

- spidey

• Scott Schillo said:
    Electric Ladyland is all about Side 3 for me. Nothing you will ever hear on the radio, and it all flows together in a suite-like fashion. I like the long "Voodoo Chile" on Side 1 as well, but "1983 (A Merman I Should Be)" is the greatest Hendrix song that no one ever talks about.

The last sentence sums it up for me - 1983 is really a beautiful journey with some brilliant playing and studio wizardry....I'll take Electric Ladyland and Band Of Gypsys on any desert island