Diggin' on Vinyls - Saturday Edition

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Hey Folks,

I was hangin' out with wifey, talking about music. We got on the subject of how she's not a vibes fan, so I embarked upon trying to change her mind with the pretty, melodic joints. To do so, I played the following joints:

1-5. "Prime Thought" (from the "Waiting" LP), "Processional" and "A NIght in Barcelona" (both from "San Francisco"), "When You're Near" (from "Natural Illusions"), and "Montara" (from, um, "Montara")-Bobby Hutcherson.
Sorry, I could only find "Processional" and "Montara" on youtube (but peeps already know these), so here is "Roses Poses" from the "Waiting" LP:

10. "Unity" (from "Unity")-Walt Dickerson.
11. "Moon Child" (from "Moon Child")-Johnny Lytle Trio plus Ray Barretto.
12. "You Don't Know What Love Is" (from "Feelings")-Milt Jackson with Strings

I couldn't hit up the Gary Burton and Cal Tjader sides as she's not too keen on their playing (same with my bro too, for some reason). Oh well, the missus said she liked the songs I played, but she doesn't claim to be a vibes fan. For the next session, I'll work on making her a flute fan (which she is definitely not). What are you listening to this Saturday afternoon?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Saying you don't like vibes, is like saying you don't like water...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Murdock said:
    Saying you don't like vibes, is like saying you don't like water...

Hey Murdock,

Tell me about it, but then again, I'm a percussionist so I'm quite biased. I hope I can bring her around on the vibes tip. I think the 'flute mission' will be even tougher. I plan on hitting with her joints like "Sleeping Beauty" by S.O.U.L. and "Salaam" ("Uzuri" too) by Catalyst in that regard.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Did you try the Bags And Train lp?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    Did you try the Bags And Train lp?

Hey Stratasphere,

No, I didn't play that one, but it would have been a good one to cue up as well. I also started to put on "This Rather Than That" by Buddy Montgomery too, a great LP featuring vibes (and piano).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I thought of that one because it is a record I tend to play when I mellow out.

stratasphere said:
    I thought of that one because it is a record I tend to play when I mellow out.

Yes sir, I concur.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• minimini 879 Posts
    Been listening these:

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    This probably won't change her mind, but it's one of my faves:

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Of the very few vibraphonist recs I got, I must say I thoroughly enjoy Cal Tjader's "Tjader" and Johnny Lytle's "The Soulful Rebel".

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Cal Tjader

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    What are you listening to this Saturday afternoon?
    I'm getting ready to make some sauce, so I went down to basement storage to bring up some canned goods (when I was a kid, I used to have a little thing for the Contadina lady--real talk), ended up rooting through some of my boxes (you know how it goes), and came up and listened to selections from the following:

Chocolate Milk's Comin'
    That International Rappers jernt
    Sam The Sham and The Pharaohs On Tour
    Idris Muhammad's House Of The Rising Sun ("Hard To Face The Music" is my shit)
    A couple of DJ Mark The 45 King's Lost Breakbeats (the yellow one with "Funk Box," and the light blue kinda hip-housey one)
    The eponymous Sylvia record (first side last song plus second side first song--"Next Time That I See You" into "Sweet Stuff"--times infinity)

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Does she like reggae?

Listened to these in the morning.

This one now.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Some of the records I listened to last night.

lipua-lipua orchestre - mualuke (african)
    muyei power - ben ben bee (makossa)
    jakie edwards - oh manio (direction)
    pyramids - penetration (best)
    johnnie taylor - love in the streets (ain't good as the at home) (stax)
    warren smith - ubangi stomp (sun)
    max romeo - reconstruction (mango)
    josey wales - undercover lover (power house)
    ijahman - haile i hymn (mango)
    barrington levy / u brown - girls I like (top ranking int.)

• sunday mornin edition:

brian auger - second wind : robbie mcintosh kills the drums on the whole record (is he the drummer on awb's "pick up the pieces"?). alex lighterwood does some credible rock vocals, too bad the lyrics are so insipid (e.g. "we got to get together, if we want to make a life that's better').

the meters- trick bag : i remebered why i don't pull this out that often. "mr. moon" still does it for me.(although it is sort of a rip of "ain't no use")

la nouvelle frontiere- s/t: one of those records i picked up ages ago and never really checked out. some this harmony singing is a lil too syrupy..interesting cover of leonard cohen's "so long marianne"

isley brothers- 3 +3 : expecting to see this record on the Soulstrut 100... i tink ronald isely is one my favourite singers of them all.

webster lewis- touch my love: i don't think i have put this record on in 10 years and it sounds seriously fresh to my ears... mizell-ish sonorities and production.

war v mandrill: alternating records: mandrill is winning

will add on to this throughout the day as i am desperately trying to procrastinate from some work i need to do...

crabmongerfunk said:
    sunday mornin edition:

brian auger - second wind : robbie mcintosh kills the drums on the whole record (is he the drummer on awb's "pick up the pieces"?). alex lighterwood does some credible rock vocals, too bad the lyrics are so insipid (e.g. "we got to get together, if we want to make a life that's better').

the meters- trick bag : i remebered why i don't pull this out that often. "mr. moon" still does it for me.(although it is sort of a rip of "ain't no use")

la nouvelle frontiere- s/t: one of those records i picked up ages ago and never really checked out. some this harmony singing is a lil too syrupy..interesting cover of leonard cohen's "so long marianne"

isley brothers- 3 +3 : expecting to see this record on the Soulstrut 100... i tink ronald isely is one my favourite singers of them all.

webster lewis- touch my love: i don't think i have put this record on in 10 years and it sounds seriously fresh to my ears... mizell-ish sonorities and production.

war v mandrill: alternating records: mandrill is winning

will add on to this throughout the day as i am desperately trying to procrastinate from some work i need to do...

Hey Crabmongerfunk,

Those are some nice selections, mane!!! I too dig that "Second Wind" LP by Brian Auger's Oblivion Express. The others you listed are on point as well, although I side with War on the War vs. Mandrill tip. Earlier this morning I listed to:

-"Soul Makossa"-Manu Diango (and also The Mighty Tom Cat's 45; doubles-mixing related)
    .-"Hibiscus"-Manu Diango.
    -"Funky Nassau (Parts 1 & 2)-The Beginning of the End.
    -"Easy Evil"-John Travolta.
    -"Pop Muzik"-M.
    -"You Are in My System"-The System.
    -"She's a Woman"-Jose Feliciano

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i need this on 7 if anyone gots 1

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I stayed in last night (late west coast Bruins game related) and spent the latter part of the night listening to records I bought yesterday.

So this is kind of a "weekend finds" post also, as I bought these three records on a quick stop at Stereo Jack's records yesterday.

First, I finally got a copy (and a nice clean one for less than $20) of Grant Green Alive ... man, this record kills. Idris just goes off through the whole session - his drumming on "Let the Music Take Your Mind" is some of the hardest I have ever heard, anywhere ... it's like he's trying to break the sticks. But, while I have heard the famous breakbeat tracks on this album before, the big discovery for me was the beautiful "Time to Remember" ... just a gorgeous tune:

I also sat on the fence for a few minutes but finally decided to grab a copy of this LP, Walter Jackson's Greatest Hits on Okeh:

To be honest, I wasn't all that familiar with Jackson's material, but I am a firm believer in 60's Okeh soul, and with a 3rd of the tracks being Curtis Mayfield productions, I knew I couldn't go wrong. The fact that it was a super clean original press for ten bucks didn't hurt either. Man, am I glad I grabbed this! While a few of the tracks suffer from schmaltzy arrangements heavy on the strings and female backing choruses, there are some really killer smooth but deep soul ballads on here as good as anything I've heard. Jackson's voice is just stunning at times, and the tracks where the arrangements have a more soulful vibe to them fit my late night drinking good beer alone mood perfectly. Tell me, who can front on this:

finally, I decided to actually re-buy an album that I had owned once and sold, Macondo on Atlantic. I remember not feeling it years ago when I grabbed it, and sold it for a couple of bucks at my swap. Since then I was seeing it around stores for decent money ($25 or so) and had a friend tell me they really liked it, and think I saw someone talking it up on here even. So, when I saw a NM copy for $2 at Jack's, I figured let's try it again - because ultimately I actually like being wrong or finding my tastes have changed, so $2 was a small enough gamble to see if I should have held on the first time. While the LP is not end-to-end killer, it does have some great tracks on it, some pretty hard latin rock with a decent groove, and though there were a couple of tracks I actually had to get up and go to the turntable and skip, I'll definitely be playing this one on my radio show at some point - so $2 well-spent:

Grant Green Alive ... man, this record kills. Idris just goes off through the whole session

Same reaction I got when I first heard this record. Idris bangs the shit out of the drums. lol And the mellow tunes are nice too. Definitely a dope record.

• Big_Stacks said:

for some inexplicable reason, i used to collect covers of this song. there is a cool version by sarah vaughn on one of her mainstream lp's...

Big_Stacks said:

big fan of this version. mike melvoin has a nice rhodes part, plus earl palmer and hal blaine, victor feldman on percussion!

crabmongerfunk said:
    Big_Stacks said:

for some inexplicable reason, i used to collect covers of this song. there is a cool version by sarah vaughn on one of her mainstream lp's...

Big_Stacks said:

big fan of this version. mike melvoin has a nice rhodes part, plus earl palmer and hal blaine, victor feldman on percussion!

Hey Crabmongerfunk,

I played the John Travolta joint goofing around with the missus, since she wasn't aware that he had a record. Yes, Jose Feliciano's version of "She's a Woman" is beautiful, and my wife was quite appreciative of this one. Also, I put on "Popcorn" by Hot Butter, again, as a goof. I couldn't leave it on long because it can get annoying. Her response was, "I remember that. I can't believe you have that record. What made you buy that one?" I responded, "I can't remember, who knows where I picked it up."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak