web design + drugs (nrr)

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.caffeineweb.com/NASA%20Study.htmone of the most facinating things i've ever seen on the "web"

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    i'm fuked

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    that made me laugh.

how did you find this? are you trying to come off caffeine or you are a huge fan?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    shit, i've spent the past 10min trying to find that old PSA where they showed this guy's self-portrait before and after taking LSD. someone plaese to find that.

• i do all my web design while on mescaline.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Do I look like a fucking spider?

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    http://www.caffeineweb.com/NASA%20Study.htm

one of the most facinating things i've ever seen on the "web"

I took a look at one of the websites they link to, www.caffeineawareness.org, and found this in the "news" section. The caffeine link to Terry Schiavo's initial collapse was considered, but ultimately thought to be unlikely. It offends me that these people misappropriated this information and capitalized on people's fear and ignorance to promote their agenda. These anti-caffeine crusaders remind me of those aspartame nutjobs.

Autopsy Links Caffeine As Culprit in Schiavo???s Collapse:

Findings show excessive amounts of caffeine in her body

(New York, NY) June 12, 2005 --An autopsy concluded that Terry Schiavo initial collapse might have resulted from caffeine intoxication. According to Dr. Jon Thogmartin, the medical examiner found that the amount of caffeine in her body was equal to someone consuming 1 gram per day.

Schiavo suffered from a condition called bulimia, an eating disorder, which results in rapid weight loss. Popular over the counter medications for weight control contain 200 milligrams of caffeine per dosage. ???Combine a few of these pills with several cups of caffeinated beverages and your asking for big trouble??? stated Marina Kushner, founder of the Caffeine Awareness Alliance (www.CaffeineAwareness.org), the first non-profit organization dedicated solely to educating consumers about the dangers of caffeine intoxication.

Caffeine overdoses can lead to headaches, jitteriness, irritability, difficulties in concentration, and mood swings which drain productivity from business and industry. In addition, caffeine consumption is linked to heart disease, pancreas and bladder cancer, hypoglycemia, central nervous system disorders. Caffeine intoxication can produce mood swings and insomnia, increased muscle tension, impair digestion and nutrition, restrict blood circulation to the brain, raise blood pressure and accelerate the heart rate. Death can result in as little as 5 grams of caffeine.

Marina Kushner's new book "The Truth About Caffeine-How Companies That Promote it Deceive Us And What We Can Do About It" reveals frightening evidence of the damage caffeine can cause. ???Since manufacturers are exempt from indicating the exact amount of caffeine found in products offered to the public, consumers cannot make informed decisions.??? said Kushner. ???Since the FDA continues to remain silent on this issue, millions of Americans, especially children, are unaware to the real dangers of this legal and potentially lethal drug.???

The Caffeine Awareness Alliance offers a fact sheet on its website, including a quick video about caffeine addiction, a quiz to test your knowledge and the latest scientific studies about the danger of caffeine. For more information, visit the website at www.CaffeineAwareness.org or call 815-572-8007. Her book ???The Truth About Caffeine??? will be available at bookstores nationwide in October.

News Index

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    coselmed, caffeine is bad. plain and simple. face the facts. get on track, and don't talk back. don't smoke crack, you'll catch a heart attack.

but more importantly, it should be noted that LSD makes the coolest fucking web. it would be cool if the people building this site had some side agenda of promoting LSD, but nope, they're pussies.

((oh, and I've never taken LSD--something I will save till I'm 45 years old. heroin at 55, and cocaine at 65, all the way live. ain't no jive.))

caffeine is for chumps.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    the benzedrine web is

coselmed, caffeine is bad. plain and simple. face the facts. get on track, and don't talk back. don't smoke crack, you'll catch a heart attack.

It's a lot more nuanced than that...I drink two Diet Cokes a day, but no coffee, so it's not like I'm a fiend for it.

Caffeine is bad if you consume too much of it and are addicted to it. On the other hand, it's an active ingredient in many migraine treatments, has been shown to be effective in treating emphysema, and reduces the risk of cirrhosis in people with a high risk for liver disease (alcoholics, obese people, and people with hepatitis B or C). It has potential as an antioxidant, too.

It's a lot more nuanced than that...I drink two Diet Cokes a day, but no coffee, so it's not like I'm fiend.

Caffeine is bad if you consume too much of it and are addicted to it. On the other hand, it's an active ingredient in many migraine treatments and has been shown to be effective in treating emphysema and reduces the risk of cirrhosis in people with a high risk for liver disease (alcoholics, obese people, and people with hepatitis B or C). It has potential as an antioxidant, too.

check me out now. so caffeine fixes problems caused by other fucked up things people shouldn't be doing (alcohol, smoking, etc.)

that's some fucked up justification. people, y'all wanna live good, just eat avocados and oatmeal.

anyhow, anything is bad if you consume too much of it (except avocados and oatmeal, obviously), it doesn't make consuming only little a good thing.

It's a lot more nuanced than that...I drink two Diet Cokes a day, but no coffee, so it's not like I'm fiend.

Caffeine is bad if you consume too much of it and are addicted to it. On the other hand, it's an active ingredient in many migraine treatments and has been shown to be effective in treating emphysema and reduces the risk of cirrhosis in people with a high risk for liver disease (alcoholics, obese people, and people with hepatitis B or C). It has potential as an antioxidant, too.

check me out now. so caffeine fixes problems caused by other fucked up things people shouldn't be doing (alcohol, smoking, etc.)

that's some fucked up justification. people, y'all wanna live good, just eat avocados and oatmeal.

anyhow, anything is bad if you consume too much of it (except avocados and oatmeal, obviously), it doesn't make consuming only little a good thing.

No one is "justifying" anything; my only point is that I think a statement like "caffeine is bad. plain and simple" is an oversimplification and that it has medical utility.

Morphine is "bad," too, but I bet your ass wouldn't refuse it if you were a burn victim.

No one is "justifying" anything; my only point is that I think a statement like "caffeine is bad. plain and simple" is an oversimplification and it has medical utility.

Morphine is "bad," too, but I bet your ass wouldn't refuse it if you were a burn victim.

hell no, and I drink caffeine all the time. just ain't gonna say it does anything good for me is all.

I just think it's funny that the majority of the 'medical utility' you mentioned caffeine having is only balancing out the negative effects of other substances that people should not intake. I'm in no way trying to be hostile with my comments, I'm just being goofy.

but yeah. I think I'll be done with caffeine after seeing this site. I'm a web designer by profession, and looking at the web that the caffeinated spider designed gave me quite a scare.

...and for the record, oversimplification is underrated, and should be practiced a lot more. people try to make things more complicated than they actually are.

AVOCADOS + OATMEAL

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Just as an aside: There's this lady who I see every morning standing outside our building with cup of coffee in her left and hand and a cigarette in her right. EVERY morning!!!

I should walk up on her and be like, "so, gettin' all caffined and nicotined up for the 9 to 5, uh?"

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Crap, I'm a spider on caffiene. Now I know why I can't get my own fucking website done.

- spidey

Just as an aside: There's this lady who I see every morning standing outside our building with cup of coffee in her left and hand and a cigarette in her right. EVERY morning!!!

I should walk up on her and be like, "so, gettin' all caffined and nicotined up for the 9 to 5, uh?"

i just came up with this news teaser:

"when meteorologists turn to satan..."

isn't that wild?

hey drewn, I was in the shower this morning (no next level lufa), and I was thinking how barry white and curtis mayfield would sound if they cut a record together. There could be some serious possibilities there.

...and now I'm thinking, what if they were backed by funkadelic, and recorded july, 1971

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Man that caffeinated spider is way more creative than the regular spider. FREE YOURSELVES FROM THE TYRANNY OF THE HUB AND SPOKE DESIGN PEOPLE!

To vaguely follow up from the "too much of anything is bad for you" theme, I heard recently about how people can manage to get intoxicated by drinking a seriously sick amount of water. I forget what it was called - hydro something, obviously, but anyways, it's something you have to work up to - your body wouldn't be able to handle it regularly, but if you "train" you can manage to absorb enough water that screws up your body's water balance, and makes you feel drunk. Sounds crazy, but they have to watch out for it in addicted populations - heard stories about how inmates/patients would drink the water out of the toilet bowl!

Man that caffeinated spider is way more creative than the regular spider. FREE YOURSELVES FROM THE TYRANNY OF THE HUB AND SPOKE DESIGN PEOPLE!

so what you're telling the masses is 'don't reinvent the wheel'? I can dig that. But what I can't dig is the lack of mathematics. I prefer focused creativity over anxiety driven creativity.

To vaguely follow up from the "too much of anything is bad for you" theme, I heard recently about how people can manage to get intoxicated by drinking a seriously sick amount of water. I forget what it was called - hydro something, obviously, but anyways, it's something you have to work up to - your body wouldn't be able to handle it regularly, but if you "train" you can manage to absorb enough water that screws up your body's water balance, and makes you feel drunk. Sounds crazy, but they have to watch out for it in addicted populations - heard stories about how inmates/patients would drink the water out of the toilet bowl!

been getting drunk off of toilet water for years, son. ain't nuthin new under the sun, son.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    The spider on marijuana drifted off before finishing the job.

cmon that is phucking classic. its like dudes are dying and spider man is slinging half spun webs and falling off buildings while Venom takes over. but coffee is something that keeps me awake but not remotely alert if that makes any sense.

all i know is it wasn't coffee that contributed to the following;

this is arguably the greatest animated gif of all time. this will be its own chapter in art history 101 in the year 2197.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

this is arguably the greatest animated gif of all time. this will be its own chapter in art history 101 in the year 2197.

haha respect, he's my punjabi friend, the context of the gifs is in this harold and kumar review i did for my site http://www.brownvado.com/kumar.htm