Soul Strut 100: #93 - Black Moon - Enta Da Stage

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

#93 - Black Moon - Enta Da Stage

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Definitely one of the rap albums I listened to the most BITD.

How old were they when they made this?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

"Enta Da Stage" is an amazing LP, nuff said!!! It represents such vintage 90s hip-hop, chocked full of boomin', filtered basslines, dirty, neck-snapping drums, haunting, yet melodic and multilayered samples, and great lyrics that are delivered with style and finesse. In short, it is the blueprint of a great, timeless hip-hop album. Simply put, "Enta Da Stage" is one of the greatest hip-hop LPs of the 90s (or any era for that matter).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    enta da stage vs. da shinin might be the hiphop version of off the wall vs thriller

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Stood the test of time well. Still gets plays.
    Who Got Da Props is a certified classic banger.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yep bonafied classic
    so grimy, great basslines and cohesivness i would play this in a dusty church basement i had the keys to and spark..great memories!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Overrated w/ mediocre mcs.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Only owned Da Shinin'. Poast favourite bangers.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I really like the sound of this album, even today, but the MCs have always been kind of a turn off. The instrumentals are great, though!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    enta da stage vs. da shinin might be the hiphop version of off the wall vs thriller

That's a tough one for sure.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    JRoot said:
    I really like the sound of this album, even today, but the MCs have always been kind of a turn off. The instrumentals are great, though!

Fully agree. The beats are tremendous--Da Beatminerz really had their shit on lock back then. The rhyming is pretty whatever, though.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    classic for me. help to clear up og vs reish confusion? different labels on the vinyl, right?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    phongone said:
    tripledouble said:

im with the other folks. black moons record didnt age to well for me. buckshot just couldnt carry the whole record.
    tek and steele on the other hand... shining is much better

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    phongone said:
    tripledouble said:

im with the other folks. black moons record didnt age to well for me. buckshot just couldnt carry the whole record.
    tek and steele on the other hand... shining is much better

Production-wise, "Dah Shinin" gets the edge. IF - and this is a big IF - the Black Moon album had used/included the remixed beats to some of their singles, I think it'd put them on closer par with one another.

BTW: Black Moon performed "Enta" at Rock the Bells last summer and let's just say that while this album probably sounds awesome in some settings ("the whip"), it does not work outdoors. At all.

3 Classics and some Filler.

Stinky Bedroom Rap.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    Stinky Bedroom Rap

See also: Olde-English-Labels-All-On-Your-Bedroom-Wall Rap

james said:
    batmon said:
    Stinky Bedroom Rap

See also: Olde-English-Labels-All-On-Your-Bedroom-Wall Rap

Haha.....

Im Too Cool For Phillies So I Use White Owl Rap.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Best use of Donald Byrd "Wind Parade"?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    In a boredom induced youtube sweep, I saw the How Many MCs video recently. That vid must of cost like $2 to shoot, cracked me up. Kings of the the remixes that weren't on the album.
    I played the fuck outta this when it came out. Great production with mediocre MCs make it still good imo. They work in the scheme of things like Group Home-Livin Proof.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I love especially the basslines on this joint.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Been trying to give this one a try for the past year. Can't seem to get through the entire album....

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Some undeniable classics on there, but I rarely make it thru the whole LP. Maybe it would help if I smoked weed?

Dah Shinin' is a better LP with slightly inferior singles.

• having trouble buying Buckshot's "wildin' out" bit in this video

b/w

The Originz of Backpack Rapp?

TheKindCromang said:
    The Originz of Backpack Rapp?

Yup until crunchy dudes ran off with it.

I recall Native Tongue dudes rockin' packs before it went standard hood accessory.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Super muddy album. Ita almost like its majority low end, muddy low end.

Loved it. Still dig it. Shinin is better for me. Some great songs on here though.

"Get on my skateboard and do a muthafuckin drive by."

Hand stand scratches in the freight elevator for the win.

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    It's a good album, and the production does carry the MC's for sure. Do you guys feel that this album should have been higher on the list or not on the list at all?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    the 12-inches are classic. da shinin is the better album.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    gomez80 said:
    It's a good album, and the production does carry the MC's for sure. Do you guys feel that this album should have been higher on the list or not on the list at all?

Again: don't sweat the placement. It's not like we had 10000 votes coming in. Even a couple of votes probably could have moved any single album up 10 notches or what not.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    finelikewine said:

Awesome, thanks for doing this.