March Finds

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    From Sunday's Pasadena swap meet...

"Arabesque" is a great movie and one of Mancini's more "out" moments. The Dell LP is private Los Angeles reggae from '77. The Embryo is Ron Carter's "Uptown Conversation". I'm really enjoying the Gary Burton one. T. Swift was in good condition considering being on budget label vinyl and is one of those "party records" that is often found trashed. I also found public domain DVDs of "The Klansmen" and "His Girl Friday" for $2/each.

45s...

Leroy Holmes' Orchestra and Chorus "The Big Gundown" / "The Charge Of The Light Brigade" (UA)
    Marilyn Mattson "He Means So Much To Me" / "You Cheated" (Allied): Killer A-side that was put on a comp of female garage bands. Recorded in L.A. at the studio which is now KCET
    The Pathfinders "Sweet Is The Woman" / "Bull Run" (Capehart)
    he Gemini's "Hawaii - Hawaii" / "Polynesian Soul" (Rogler Productions): Upbeat ska-like tunes promoting tourism (?) to the island. Private imprint I guess from the 70s commercial actress and singer, Helen Rogler.
    The Volumes "I Love You" / "Dreams" (Virgo/Roulette repress)
    Tobin Matthews "Ruby Duby Du" / "Leatherjacket Cowboy" (Chief): Songs from the 1960 movie, "Key Witness"
    Carl Henderson "Sharing You" / "Please Stop Laughing At Me" (Omen/A&M)
    The Spinners "That's What Girls Are Made For" / "Heebee Jeebee's" (Tri-Phi): Their debut Fuqua-penned single.
    The Swingers "Bay-Hay Bee Doll" (vocal) / Inst.: Promotional 1966 single for JC Penney. Cool instro w/ horrible faux-British vocals
    Willie (Warwick) and the Poor Boys "Orange Blossom Special" / "I Take The Time" (Sunsound): Bluegrass fiddle rock
    The Yellow Balloon " Yellow Balloon" / "Noollab Wolley" (Canterbury)
    The Presidents "5-10-15.." / "I'm Still Dancing" (Sussex)
    Dell & The Sensations "Am True" / Unchained Melody" (Sanco)

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    went to a philly record show last weekend and didnt come up on too much. i was straight up looking to drop money on something nice, but really wasnt tempted by anything. saw a couple nice heavy pieces at decent prices that i recommended to friends, but not much for me.

ultramags was a good dollar comeup. lottie golden is a great record i had never had a chance to listen to...really feeling it after the first listen

top three werent from the show
    ive actually been looking for that Sacca brothers record for a looooong time

oh yeah, this pile mysteriously appeared on my stoop. couple decent reggae and soul keepers.nothing crazy, but its nice for records to come to me on their own volition

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    milliondollars said:
    Humanacat said:

what'S the Fuzztones like?

It's good 80s garage revival, this one has pretty raw live covers of Voices Green and Purple by the Bees, No Friend of Mine by the Sparkles, and the bag i'm in.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Oligee said:
    Found these yesterday at a thrift shop for 2 bucks a pop. I can die now.

fake finds alert!!! seriously, that is a huge come up. what is the record in the mmiddle.

True story. Found 3 copies, 1 sealed, 1 opened and 1 sleeveless which is in excellent condition. Want to sell the sealed copy if anyone's interested and open for a trade or sale on the sleeveless one. Keeping the opened one for myself.

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Dez-Art and Stoney Ground - Caribbean Style 12" 1984

Photobucket
    Janko Nilovic - Super America LP
    Photobucket

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

thrift store find

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

store basement finds
    got them for free cause i helped dude sort out his classical
    also found my first copy of this gem and thought of the strut revival

i am deciding to sell or trade, PM me if interested

• Photochop RAER

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ^^^^^^
    5 stars

• leonleon 883 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:

Photochop RAER

Will quote when #1 of the Soulstrut 100 is revealed...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Wasn't planning on buying latin, but couldn't pass these up at the Beatswapmeet here in LA. Great show.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I like that Lytle LP a lot. been trying to mint up cheaply for years but I always find it either pricey or as best as mine.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Several recent pick ups.
    Big thank you to 4yeargraduate for that Ollie Nightingale

• Highlights from yesterday morning's flea market. Since there's been no winter they moved opening day up 3 weeks, but it was under 30 degrees and very dark at 7am thanks to the time change. I was impressed at the turnout of dealers and shoppers--folks are hardcore--and there were lots of records to be had.

First 4 LPs were from a seller I had never seen before, $3 each, everything was really clean and I probably should have picked up more. My Beatles phase was a long time ago but I ain't gonna turn down an original mono in that condition at that price. Jimmy Smith is not in superb condition but I couldn't pass for $5--you just don't see Blue Note at this market, especially not deep groove NY address.
    Attached files

• And the 45s... A guy had a big box of 'em for 50 cents apiece, which is a prime risk taking opportunity. I got the Festivals from this guy not knowing what to expect, got home and played it and quickly realized it was one of my best flea market scores ever. Hey Girl is great but it's the flip (Checkin' Out) that really does it for me.
    Attached files

• I don't know much about latin stuff but I took a chance on a few outta the 50 cent box. The Roberto Roena is awesome, and the flip is a great cover of Dock of The Bay. Makes me want more stuff like it. Rocky Roberts I never heard of but with a picture sleeve like that it's gotta be cool, right? The Dietrofront song is kinda ehhh but the cover of Chain of Fools (called Ciao Ciao Ciao) on the other side is where it's at.
    Attached files

• Damn this 3 attachment thing...shoulda done group shots. Anyway I really like this Elmore James...I've heard a bunch of his stuff but never this tune...very raw and powerful. I come across tons of Marvelettes 45s (seems like more than most Motown artists) so it surprised me to find one I didn't have yet. 50s stuff isn't really my bag but the Channels is a very good 2-sider.
    Attached files

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Wasn't planning on buying latin, but couldn't pass these up at the Beatswapmeet here in LA. Great show.

Who had the Acid LP? I don't think I've ever seen a copy in Los Angeles

• I heard it was at that one Council Thrift in West LA
    :oof:

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    A little wax from the past couple of weeks. Surprised to find the Goblin at a local thrift, and it's a fun listen. The rest were pulled in town and in Mtl on the way through last week. I always thought Body and Soul was just a pretty face, but it's got some good tracks.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    yuichi said:

Who had the Acid LP? I don't think I've ever seen a copy in Los Angeles

It's the rainbow-color label. I bought it off this guy outdoors who had "latin" "private press" "psych" and stuff like that neatly labeled. Actually he had more than one record I wanted to get.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Found a semi-grail. No idea why it hasn't been repressed.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Found a semi-grail. No idea why it hasn't been repressed.

Nice . missed that one

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Just copped this piece of dance music

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Photobucket

Hand me a late pass. I'm loving this record.

• One of the best 45s I've heard in years. Got a copy from a Craig Moerer Buy it Now. Was marked VG due to SL Dish but plays mint.

And Forgotten Lovers now available on vinyl! 1000 pressed. On Feeding Tube Records, still available.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Found this yesterday at my mans store. White label mono.