Nothing Better To Rile Up SS Than Food Threads

2»

Comments

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    A lot of NY restaurants made it onto that list because buzz was part of the judging criteria, which also makes me surprised Torissi isn't on the list.
    And while Katz's might not deserve to be #27, where have you had better pastrami?

• Gotta give it up for Blue Hill at Stone Barns. It's pretentious to the max (Pocantico Hills? It's Tarrytown, dudes) but had my wedding rehearsal dinner there last May and I was sufficiently blown away. Beautiful pastoral setting (something you won't get in NYC), amazing food, top notch presentation and service. Worth the splurge for a special occasion if you can remember to make reservations well in advance.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The BBQ inclusions make this WAY suspect...Carolina inclusion is admirable, but multiple Texan entries and NO Memphis entries reeks of BS. Is there any need to have multiple brisket spots and only one pork spot?

• Garcia_Vega said:
    A lot of NY restaurants made it onto that list because buzz was part of the judging criteria, which also makes me surprised Torissi isn't on the list.
    And while Katz's might not deserve to be #27, where have you had better pastrami?

Love the pastrami, the bread breaking up doesn't hold it together as a sandwich.

That said, I might have to get pastrami for lunch today.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    The BBQ inclusions make this WAY suspect...Carolina inclusion is admirable, but multiple Texan entries and NO Memphis entries reeks of BS. Is there any need to have multiple brisket spots and only one pork spot?

right. no sense to try to make the list well rounded with pizzerias, delis, and BBQ thrown in as tokens. should have just made a top 100 fine dining list, which would have still stirred up enough controversy on its own

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    sneakyp said:

43. Masa, New York City - who really knows. I did try to get a job here once though. I was only white guy except for one other guy and no one would even talk to me or acknowledge me except for that guy. There were 13 or 14 cooks and only 3 lunch covers. and only 1 dude was allowed to make the rice and Masa and and his Disciples would just wander through the kitchen with these giant wooden rice paddles like they were going to beat you with them any second. The walk-in was a complete disaster with prob over $5000 in inventory of japanese vegetables, herbs, fish, roe, etc. and no one seemed to belly up to try and deal with organizing it. I was asked to cut these perfect 1'2 in medallions of kurobuta pork loin and later discovered they were only for the staff meal. Must be nice.

Haha...I know that white guy! He's killing it right now in Hong Kong with his own restaurant.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Better pastrami than Katz: Langer's in LA. This is a perennial debate though. I sense people pick a side then ride till they die.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    KC BBQ question.

The one time I went to KC, Dante introduced me to the greatness that are burnt ends. I've fiended ever since and recently noted that a place in LA, called Kansas City BBQ, served burnt ends so I took a trip.

What I got didn't look like bits of brisket but rather, pieces of beef that had been pulled apart, like pulled pork. I was like "WTF is this?" but maybe I'm not knowing?

Are burnt ends sometimes served all shredded up?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    This list is highly suspect. Definitely on some ridiculous Zagat's tip--how else do you explain Osteria Mozza surpassing Per Se? That would be offensive if weren't so absurd.

On the subject of Roberta's, Pete Wells wrote a great Diner's blog on his experience there: http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/01/my-bumpy-night-at-robertas/ Not exactly enticing.

Has anyone eaten at Next in Chicago? I don't even understand how you get reservations. I would have loved to have eaten its Escoffier themed menu.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The_Non said:

59. Spiaggia, Chicago - Would love to go to this place

42. Slanted Door, San Francisco - One of the best places I've ever eaten at

30. Frontera Grill, Chicago - Overrated

23. Girl & the Goat, Chicago - Just went to this place during the winter and it was great

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Better pastrami than Katz: Langer's in LA. This is a perennial debate though. I sense people pick a side then ride till they die.

I've never been to this LA place, but really?! No. That's like saying there's better brisket outside of Texas.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Might as well post a quick shill for my exec chef, Perry Hoffman. He's currently neck-and-neck with Voltaggio in Food & Wine's voting. No, our restaurant didn't make that top 101, but neither did Cyrus or Meadowood! Please vote if you feel like it -- I promise you he's an all-around good guy. ;)

http://www.foodandwine.com/peoples-best-new-chef/california