Soul Strut 100: #96 - Tom Scott - Honeysuckle Breeze

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

#96 - Tom Scott - Honeysuckle Breeze

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Only worth a shit for this song:

Never seen this in person ever???. Pete Rock FTW!

Who has ever seen this in a record store?

• Can't believe this made the list... Hell, Junior and the Soulettes might be a one tracker because of a mishap with a butcher's shrink wrapper, but it's more interesting than this one tracker.

This will give us some good Harv Hate, though, on backpacker nostalgia and the need for MORE T.R.O.Y.

Speaking of which... When do the rapz start showing up?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    never seen it in the field
    once or twice in stores
    i would like to know how prevalent this was pre-PR

who was allowed to vote (only registered or lurkers as well)

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    the sample is cool but the song is just OK IMO.

Can't wait to see what #95 is...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I agree this is a one-tracker - Never My Love.
    I play the shit out of this at my night - it is lovely.

Keep in mind these are not the best records of all time??? just top SS Related Records??? I guess at one time we all sweated this record for a Pete Rock sample.

first of all this record sucks - badly! second, the blue green press is the third press. Third, it sucks!!!

I know we can ban posters. Can we ban threads?

Tom Scott is perpetual doo doo

This record is a terd.

Let us not discuss it further.

SOOO BAD!

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/15970/

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    gareth said:

This will give us some good Harv Hate, though, on backpacker nostalgia and the need for MORE T.R.O.Y.

Never in a million years would I ever hate on anything from Mecca and the Soul Brother. That album was at the very least formative, and at best the pinnacle. And I for one never had any problem with CL's raps. It's not like we're talking Group Home here.

b/w

I have suggested over the years that deejays play Straighten It Out with the same sort of undying enthusiasm that they play TROY. So there is that.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Indeed a one-tracker...but its rarity and significance of the sample makes it the ultimate sample-spotter timmy dig-a-lot score.

I actually like the song, fwiw

and I have only ever held one in my hands.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I literally refer to the 2 Tom Scott Impulse albums as "the one with the Pete Rock sample" and "the one with the Casual sample".

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    harsh. i like that record a bit. probably the sample, definitely the cover hippiness, but just generally a nice overall listen. notice i dont say "ridiculous overall listen". nice. pleasant. it plays the background well on a spring day. there was a nice sitar laced track i liked, but it might have been on one of his other impulse albums

stop hating just cause it got sampled!!

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    More than a one tracker in my opinion. A solid four tracker, but not a turd by any means.
    Attached files

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

I have suggested over the years that deejays play Straighten It Out with the same sort of undying enthusiasm that they play TROY. So there is that.

I quit playing "TROY" a long time ago, but "Straighten It Out" will still find its way into a set (as will "Soul Brother #1"). Great song.

Anyway, I'm also assuming that this record made the list due to the fact that most of us sweated it hard for the TROY sample, which makes sense because it was such a digger grail for that reason. I've seen it in a record store exactly once, but for more than I was willing to pay for it, so I've never owned it.

PS: It took me forever to realize that Large Professor clipped the "Today" horns for the "It's a Boy" remix.

HarveyCanal said:
    I literally refer to the 2 Tom Scott Impulse albums as "the one with the Pete Rock sample" and "the one with the Casual sample".

theres also the tom scott hair record, which i think is also on impulse

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Flying Dutchman

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I was always partial to 'North' and 'Never My Love'. I enjoy 'Today', but I too wonder if this album would even be 'up there' if it wasn't for the PR sample.
    Gabor Szabo's album with the California Dreamers - which i'm assuming is from around the same time - has a much better track in my opinion - 'San Francisco Nights'
    The only time I ever saw this in a store was in the late 90s at the infamous Bleeker Bob's for $350. I almost laughed my way out the store...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    tripledouble said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Flying Dutchman

YUP YUP

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/blog/indepth/funky_guzzo_-_hair/

• i like this record but it should be 10-15 max. i mean plenty of other albums have pete rock samples that don;t go for any kind loot so why this record. that said, the black and orange has become one of the toughest pulls on that label.

tom scott gets a lot of scorn from all different corners but he is one of my favourite players, arrangers of that late 60's to mid 70's era that most of us sweat. sure he put out alot of commercial crap but they didn't call him "triple scale" tom scott for nothing...

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Whatever significance this record has, paying more than $15 for it represents terrible value.

I've come across two in the field and gladly sold both, though not, sadly, when it went for $150+.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i like this record but it should be 10-15 max. i mean plenty of other albums have pete rock samples that don;t go for any kind loot so why this record.

Sayin'

I ride harder for the Georgie Fame LP with the Pete rock sample

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Best jazz cover of a Jefferson Airplane song? Discuss

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Danno3000 said:
    Whatever significance this record has, paying more than $15 for it represents terrible value.

I've come across two in the field and gladly sold both, though not, sadly, when it went for $150+.

Well this thread was worth while just for the return of Danno.

I couldn't imagine spending $150 on this record then finding out Pete Rock sampled the best 5 seconds of the album.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    never seen this nor heard it, would probably still flip right past it without thinking twice if it ever turned up.

• mannybolone said:
    Best jazz cover of a Jefferson Airplane song? Discuss

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Was not impressed with this record. Got it off ebay, and like many, it was because of the sample. I believe I've actually seen it twice in stores way back when.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    :ehhx2:
    they should have single issued that song... though, i guess undeniable sample history justifies the space in some shelfs, never seen an og, neither would pay much aswell.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i flirted with an old man at his junk shop and sat there talking with him for about 45 minutes and he gave me this record.
    i like "deliver me" a lot. psst trpldbl, so do you.
    "north" is cool too.

i like the whole record but i am super heavy into the hippies man. to me it's a little surfy and a little byrds-y. i like it.

AKallDay said:

i like "deliver me" a lot. psst trpldbl, so do you.
    yeah we used it on aeiou

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Tom Scott and John Klemmer both needed to be much lower in the mix. Saxterbation.