2»

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    Saxterbation.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mecca and The Soul Brother better be on this list

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I just got home from work and pulled out my copy of this record. I thought I'd purchased it off ebay but actually bought in at a store, Stereo Jacks' in Cambrigde, MA for $35. Looking back, I'm glad I did not pay more for it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Flip!

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Mannn this record is history.
    Im proud to own an OG copy and it took me long ass time to find it.
    Remember seeing Pete Rock and CL on stage - Pete brought the ENTIRE house to its knees - flashed the cover for the heads - played the og first then segued into TROY
    Holy Grail Emotional shit

• i've only seen it once at goldmines records in biloxi. it was the first record in a stack on the floor that was leaning up against a record shelf. i think i paid 15 for it. ended up selling it a couple years ago for 150 when i was broke.

Any NBA Steeet Vol. 2 Heads!?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    No love for the black sheep sample as well? Today and Les Fleur are a pretty nice combo.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Any NBA Steeet Vol. 2 Heads!?

although i don't play video games this game is almost perfect imo

great video game soundtrack but that song got tiring in the long run

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    No love for the black sheep sample as well? Today and Les Fleur are a pretty nice combo.

Loved it, but they used the Jefferson Airplane guitar intro on Similak Child.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

word. lawnge had that ear for key that pete definitely did not.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    got to be one of the scarcest "in the field" records out there. in 15 years ive found multiples of many records that are supposedly harder to find than this, and ive never seen this ever, except on ebay.

standing offer! ill pay $25! haha

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    Controller_7 said:

Loved it, but they used the Jefferson Airplane guitar intro on Similak Child.

Hmm I guess you're right. Been awhile since I'd listened to either.

• I think this record is decent hippie jazz. I found it at a flea around ' 98 and was unaware of the sample. Nice moment when I dropped the needle, but as soon as I got on ebay that shit was outta here.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Today is a dope cut, Pete Rock sample or not. Reason enough to nab this record. End of story.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    RAJ said:
    I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

#96 - Tom Scott - Honeysuckle Breeze

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

Anyone wanna trade #99 for #96? I have an extra copy of the Tom Scott and like many others, have never found the Joe Quarterman. Both recently sold at auction for $150. Hit me on the PM if interested.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I love this LP!!! I know everyone gets geeked out over "Today," but I must say, "Naima" is my joint. It's sheer beauty!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    AlGarth said:
    Anyone wanna trade #99 for #96?

:shame_on_you:

LoopDreams said:
    AlGarth said:
    Anyone wanna trade #99 for #96?

:shame_on_you:

Hey at least he tried.

I got a #95 for a #100!?

• Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

I love this LP!!! I know everyone gets geeked out over "Today," but I must say, "Naima" is my joint. It's sheer beauty!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I am going to direct my focus to that song now!

I have a copy of this and seen it more than once. Maybe it's just not as rare in Canada? Enjoy "Never My Love" and "Today" like everyone.

• Boondocks usage:

• CinisterCee said:

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    This was a white whale of mine for a long time but then I finally got a white label promo as a Father's Day gift from my wife & daughter. I begged wifey not to tell me what she paid for it cuz I know she probably got ripped. Other than the sentimental value it has to me, it really is just an OK album. "Today" is fire and I've sampled the opening drums from "Mellow Yellow" a few times but besides that this LP has always been a show-off piece for the T.R.O.Y. sample, IMO.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    I'm probably in a minority here but I love this LP in it's own right, not too fussed about the break! I also love G??bor Szab?? Wind, Sky, and Diamonds, surely these both must have been recorded in the same session?

• In this interview (click) with VillageVoice.com, Pete Rock said:
    When I made "Reminisce"???I had friend of mine that passed away, and it was a shock to the community. I was kind of depressed when I made it. And to this day, I can't believe I made it through, the way I was feeling. I guess it was for my boy. When I found the record by Tom Scott, basically I just heard something incredible that touched me and made me cry. It had such a beautiful bassline, and I started with that first. I found some other sounds and then heard some sax in there and used that. Next thing you know, I have a beautiful beat made. When I mixed the song down, I had Charlie Brown from Leaders of the New School in the session with me, and we all just started crying."

Deep.

The LP as a whole is a nice-ish listen, of course everyone loves it for the TROY sample. Surprised the intro for Today never got sampled by anyone, I always thought it'd sound nice hooked up but then I don't make beats...

TROY is one of my favourite songs of all time, absolutely fell in love with it when I heard it. Shame is I've completely rinsed it now and can't listen to it much any more!

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    King.Lewey said:
    Surprised the intro for Today never got sampled by anyone, I always thought it'd sound nice hooked up but then I don't make beats...

Did Black Sheep not use it on their debut, or did they use the OG Jefferson Airplane version?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've had it a number of times.
    Can't remember how many came from stores, shows, thrifts... I have no idea why it's so hard to find (besides the fact it sucks). Have seen it in stores many times for $$$$ and not bought.

Sir Joe I have seen just once, got it at a yard sale.

Jefferson Airplane version is nice and it doesn't have that awful sax solo.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Up on the wall at East Records a month or so ago, must admit its the first time I've seen a OG.
    Out of my price range.