What goes harder than The Meters? (New jack-r)

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
I know that many would say Meters records have been done to death...but that doesn't take away from the fact that the shit is dope...

If any Strutters have a moment, please post something that in your opinion elicits a broken neck or break face more than a Meters record...thanks.

Comments

• fuck the non-funky haters

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts

Love the bass line and kazoo like horn section on this.

• Harder.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Am I the only one here who thinks Meters records are completely boring as hell?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    button said:

Ha ha ha. I do love the Meters but when I'm DJing trying to find a song to play I often think, "damn, this stuff is just too damned slow!" Cardova is usually what I go with. Or [chickenrelated]Chicken Strut[/chickenrelated].

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I don't think Meters records are "boring as hell" but I prefer tracks where they back up vocalists to their instro cuts. "Gossip," "Break in the Road," etc

I was a bit harsh. Cissy Strut still sounds good, and Handclapping Song too. Sorry to thread hijack

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yeah the first three josie records are kind of slow grooves, although pretty damn top notch, wont fit into most dance floor scenarios.
    Ject...eddie bo and his drummer james black probably could go track for track and rock harder than the meters in my opinion. but i love them both

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    its a beautiful thing what got down with the Oh Calcutta snippet to make that Amerie track. Meters related dance floor burner!!

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    button said:

I don't care how slow the grooves are, for me listening to Zigaboo playing is the exact opposite to boring.

• NEVER FORGET

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    barkays

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

• That first minute or so, my goodness.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    This is why I dig the Strut.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    its a beautiful thing what got down with the Oh Calcutta snippet to make that Amerie track. Meters related dance floor burner!!

Yeah, that was a great loop. One of those "holy crap, why has nobody used this before?" joints.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Has to be something from New Orleans I guess.

Or Hook & Sling. I remember in an early issue of Big Daddy somebody put out an album (CD I think) of James Black drumming. Anybody kop that ish?

Here's a few from my hometown:

The Chefs
    Aalon Butler
    Sonrize

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Goddamn...everyone of these jawns hit the spot. I'm glad I don't live near ya'll because it seems I owe all of you a beer.

And @Button, I can totally see someone not digging The Meters...I've noticed lots of their tracks don't keep my attention for the entire length of the tune but I always assumed that's cuz I'm a hyper-ADD impatient dude whose always looking for the break.

EDIT: Oh yeah, might as well keep the tunes coming....

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    This may not be harder but it's hard enough.

unreleased Wisconsin prison funk

• Not old skool but almost nothing reminds me of the Meters more than these guys:

Not especially "hard hitting" but they really have the Meters' sound DOWN.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    This may not be harder but it's hard enough.

if anyone goes harder than the meters its james/jbs.

• leonleon 883 Posts

Ike Turner from the highly recommended Black man's soul lp. Shreddin it!