Old and New Headz ROLL CALL (Check-In)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central
Name: Yuichi

Place: West Los Angeles

How old is you? 30

How did you get here? Raj (Soulstrut) auction back in the day

Sentimental Records: Nite Liters "Analysis" and a Radioshack comp. I overpaid for through Raj's auction.

Places you DIG: LA beatswapmeet

Other interests: NBA, limited kicks, fly fishing, electro-house/dubstep

HOLLA!

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This is a warm-up bitches. Get warmed up.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Name: Bill Bradley

Place: Austin

How did you get here?: I think I ended up here after finding the reviews section. Been coming here for 8 years so it is hard to remember now.

Sentimental Records: Roy Ayers - Everybody Loves The Sunshine, Larry Young's Fuel

Places you DIG: Thrift stores mostly

Other interests: Vintage Volkswagens

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Name: Unherd

Place: NYC

How did you get here?: Man of mystery BTHAV put me on when we were in school together back in '05

Sentimental Records: Milton Wright 'Friends And Buddies", Alice Clark, Ofege. Also, Wu Tang Aint Nothing To Fuck With 12", And Yo Mtv Raps - Hits LP, the first two records I bought, to go along with the Music Factory DJ-In-A-Box set my neighbor gave me when he couldn't figure out how to hook it up.

Places you DIG: Real life moves have limited my record buying over the last couple years. You must deal.

Other interests: Music software, food, coffee, nyc history

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Name: Harvey Canal aka Archaic aka Clark Field

Place: Austin, Texas

How old is you? 40

How did you get here? crates list

Sentimental Records: Wild Tchoupitoulas, Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation, The Best of Sade

Places you DIG: Half Priced Books, Breakaway Records

Other interests: parenting, sexual conquest, weed, sports, books, movies, food.

Rank: I rank Z-Ro as the greatest rapper of all-time not named 2Pac. And oh yeah, WHODAT!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Name: Mjukis/Mathias

Place: Stockholm, Sweden

How old is you? Turning 31

How did you get here? Not sure... Pretty sure I stumbled on the Strut googling some record

Sentimental Records: My dads copy of Sgt Pepper

Places you DIG: Mostly the 3-4 really good stores in Stockholm/Uppsala nowadays... Not good at the thrift store game these days, except for DVDs

Other interests: Movies (still on the DVDs mostly), Video games, Comics, basically focusing on sharpening my producing and actually making some finished music in 2012

Rank: Foreigner with hard-to-pronounce-name, posting at weird hours, little dude-record status

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Name: L*o

Place: The underbelly

How did you get here?: via the Crates list BITD?

Sentimental Records: they're all like children to me

Places you DIG: boutiques/innernets

Other interests: football (not handegg), food, books, ladies, that thigh-slapping lederhosen dancing from Bavaria

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Psycho: The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.
    Leon: Ooooooh.
    Psycho: You just made the list, buddy. And I don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.
    Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Name: Rishan / R*chard

Place: Scotland

How old is you? 30

How did you get here? seldom poasted / often lurked. can't remember back as far as 2000! maybe from big daddy magazine or the man Mark from now sadly defunct professor plastics vinyl frontier record shop in Edinburgh

Sentimental Records: archie whitewater, donald byrd places and spaces, coltrane's sound, gil scott heron it's your world, gary bartz i've known rivers, ohio players on westbound, kmd mr hood, smif n wessun, ahmad jamal awakening.....

Places you DIG: amazon

Other interests: sports, travelling, food, john coltrane

edited as i forgot the rank part

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Name: Mike

Place: Chicago and nearby 'burbs

How did you get here?: I can't remember... randomly surfed on from some Google search

Sentimental Records: My mom's Sgt. Pepper's (how awesome is it that everyone used to write their name on their albums?), Marquee Moon, a re-issue of Journey in Satchidananda (since upgraded but I bought the reissue site unseen and fell in love), Sylvers II

Places you DIG: Mostly thrifts, antique shops, Half-Priced Books, Dusty Groove, Reckless. My former neighborhood spot Mr. Peabody's Records recently shut down

Other interests: Watching old B&W in Blu-ray, women, media criticism, local sports

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Name: Rick Smith

Place: Sellersville, PA (Upper Bucks County)

How old is you? 36

How did you get here? Wanted a Place to Talk About Mos Def in 1999

Sentimental Records: Franck Dervieux - Dimension M (self indulgent Quebec Prog??? Reminds me of great times digging in Montreal in the early 00's)

Places you DIG: Quakertown Farmers Market / Double Decker in Allentown

Other interests: Guitar, Photography , Madden on PS3, Trespassing, Graphic Design

HOLLA!

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    Name: Gomez80

Place: Beaverton, Oregon

How old is you? 31

How did you get here? Someone told me I could find loose women on here, lol. Naw, for real I heard about this site from an old co worker.

Sentimental Records: I don't know about sentimental but I like listening to Sonny Rollins The Bridge album.

Places you DIG: Music Time, Everyday Music, and thrift stores

Other interests: American football, parenting, and trying to stay alive

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    gomez80 said:
    Name: Gomez80

Place: Beaverton, Oregon

How old is you? 31

How did you get here? Someone told me I could find loose women on here, lol. Naw, for real I heard about this site from an old co worker.

Sentimental Records: I don't know about sentimental but I like listening to Sonny Rollins The Bridge album.

Places you DIG: Music Time, Everyday Music, and thrift stores

Other interests: American football, parenting, and trying to stay alive

WELCOME!

• Name: Sabadabada (Peter)

Place: New York City / Mill Neck, NY

How did you get here?: Took wrong turn looking for SoulSeek

Sentimental Records: Sergio Mendes "Look Around" I picked it up in a thrift store, all beat up with no cover, and that started it all. Also the three Brubeck/Tjader 10"s on Fantasy.

Places you DIG: Mostly on ebay or from sellers on line, if I come across a garage sale, or out of the way thrift that doesn't look too picked over, I stop in.

Other interests: Work, family, new home. Books. 16 mm film making.

• Name: Etothek

Place: DTLA

How old is you? 33

How did you get here? Came for the mixes, Stayed for the RAERS

Sentimental Records: Free to Be Me and You. Talking Heads : Naive Melody. Klezmorim : Streets of Gold.

Places you DIG: Lake Forest Thrifts on the Daily, Records LA, and Port of Sound

Other interests: Print Design, Storage Wars, The Progressive Left

• Name: Antonio

Place: West Philly

How old is you? 37

How did you get here? oldenstylehats aka formaformadiplo

Sentimental Records: happy sad classics like cymande, Air, Manu Chao, ol Beatles joints that my folks let me play when i was 5

Places you DIG: anywhere i go its always on the back of my mind to find some record holdings.

Other interests: playing basketball, cooking, community resiliency, bicycles, shell rehabbing, urban decay, zombies

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Name: Richard

Place: Easton, PA by way of NYC

How old is you? 42

How did you get here? crates@oblivion.accessus.net

Sentimental Records: EWF "That's The Way Of The World", Roy Ayers "Everybody Loves The Sunshine". Moms loved those joints.

Places You Dig: Online and the occasional garage sale

Other Interests: Guitars, Sneakers, Bourbon, surviving raising my 3 children

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Name: Ivan

Place: San Francisco

How old is you? 32 today! (Actually, 8 if you count by leap years) *Ahem, ahem *

How did you get here? OG I think

Sentimental Records: Verocai, duh

Places you DIG: teh Internet

Other interests: writing code and starting companies

Rank: rising daily. Oh wait, on Soulstrut? Falling off daily.

• Name: CousinLarry

Place: Richmond, VA

How old is you? 30

How did you get here? A local record dude told me about it, he used to be a regular but I can't remember his old user name anymore and don't want to put his real name on blast.

Sentimental Records: I don't know, all the ones I have kept are sentimental for one reason or another. My favorite records are the ones that make my daughter dance.

Places you DIG: My work is about a mile from 2 different Goodwills and we have some great stores in Richmond. I don't buy nearly as much as I used to.

Other interests: Hanging with my family. drinking whiskey and riding my bike. Not generally all at the same time though.

Rank: Been here a while, but don't post too much. I will say this, I have made some great friends and even started a business because of this place. Props to Raj for keeping it going.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Name: Guzzo

Place: Los Angeles, CA but always reppin' West Covina (Lark Ellen steez)

How old is you? 31

How did you get here? I was stoned and wanted to read more about David Axelrod

Sentimental Records: Lou Donaldson "Hot Dog" (first LP that blew my sample hungry mind), Larry T & the Family (Heatrocks)

Places you DIG: Buena Park record show, Los Angeles suburbs

Other interests: bad tattoo's, story telling, and women

• Name: John

Place: Ireland

How did you get here?: Can't remember, probably by accident

Places you DIG: anywhere

Other interests: movies, NFL, football (soccer to you folks)

• CousinLarry said:
    even started a business because of this place. Props to Raj for keeping it going.

I befriended a friend of yours (may be one of your employees?) at a wedding I was DJing. We started talking music. When I asked him if he was on Soul Strut (I'm pretty sure) he said either he works for, or is friends with "Cousin Larry".

See man???. COMMUNITY!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Name: DJ Enki

Place: Oakland, CA

How old is you? 36

How did you get here? Knowing various other Strutters via the Bay Area DJ community

Sentimental Records: K. Frimpong, records I produced and released

Places you DIG: A few Bay Area stores...I'm no longer the flea market freak I was in my younger days

Other interests: Basketball, cooking, the Steelers, getting back into trout and bass fishing (including re-acquainting myself with fly fishing, which I haven't done in a good 20 years)

Rank: Extra-schmedium dude who still cares about breaks, yo.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Name: Etothek

How old is you? 33 (and a 1/3rd)

Places you DIG: Records LA

one of these days we should hook up (ayo)

• Name: If you know me, you know

Place: Calgary

How old is you? 30

How did you get here? Stumbled onto the forum via mixes/radio in '01 and really opened my eyes to a universe of music, art, culture, and graemlins.

Sentimental Records: Herbie Hancock Headhunters will always hold a special place

Places you DIG: wherever...especially when traveling. Although the work schedule has really slowed me down.

Other interests: Food, drink, merriment

Rank: Pretty low on the totem pole. I did, however, get course credit in university for writing an ethnographic study on Soulstrut!

• Guzzo said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    Name: Etothek

How old is you? 33 (and a 1/3rd)

Places you DIG: Records LA

one of these days we should hook up (ayo)

Ha! Definitely!

I've been hitting up Scott's location at The Last Book Store downtown. Have you been there yet?

Also - Beat Swap Meet 4 Year Anniversary is on March 11!!! :beerbang:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Name: Rich

Place: Born NYC / Live Texas

How old is you? 54

How did you get here? Cool Chris / Coffin Joe invite

Sentimental Records: Many of the LP's I released on Rockadelic Records

Places you DIG: Everywhere/Anywhere

Other interests: Family, Basketball, Dead Presidents

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Name: Don't wear it out!

Place: Many different places

How old is you? 1972 vintage

How did you get here?

Sentimental Records: BT Express, Hell Up In Harlem

Places you DIG: internets, fleas, random places

Other interests: sandwiches, typography, hip hop archeology, geek mythology, working and partying hard

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Name: DOR

Place: Two Ron Toe

How old is you? 30's

How did you get here? Around 01-02 a female customer of mine told me to check it out. Made an account under a different username which I forgot and made DOR.

Sentimental Records: Alice Clark

Places you DIG: Nose

Other interests: All things tech, Football (soccer for Americans) & Photography.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    CousinLarry said:
    even started a business because of this place. Props to Raj for keeping it going.

I befriended a friend of yours (may be one of your employees?) at a wedding I was DJing. We started talking music. When I asked him if he was on Soul Strut (I'm pretty sure) he said either he works for, or is friends with "Cousin Larry".

See man???. COMMUNITY!

I started a wedding DJ business with two Struters. One was Fatback who doesn't do weddings or post on here anymore, but is a Soul Strut legend.

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    Name:

Place: Finland

How did you get here?: Can't really remember, started lurking wayway back.

Sentimental Records: Third Sight - Zodiac Killer, used to scratch nonstop to that Will I Get Shop By A Dope Fiend beat.

Places you DIG: Thrift stores +local record store

Other interests: djing & promoting shows, quality tv-series, comics, graphic design, graffiti, movies & spicy food when I'm hungover