Odd Future - "Rella" video

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central
Have we discussed this new video yet? Are these kids really crazy or is this just more of them going for shock value? The video is a little next level.

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Marilyn Manson Now Going Door-To-Door Trying To Shock People
    OVERLAND PARK, KS???Stung by flagging album sales and Eminem's supplanting him as Middle America's worst nightmare, shock rocker Marilyn Manson has embarked on a door-to-door tour of suburbia in a desperate, last-ditch effort to shock and offend average Americans.

Accompanied by bandmates Twiggy Ramirez, Madonna Wayne Gacy, and Zim Zum, Manson kicked off his 50-city "Boo" tour Jan. 26 in
    Overland Park, a conservative, middle-class suburb of Kansas City.

"When we first laid eyes on Overland Park, with its neat little frame houses, immaculately landscaped lawns, and SUVs in the driveways, we couldn't wait to swoop down on it like the Black Death," said Manson, born Brian Warner in Canton, OH. "We were like, 'Welcome to our nightmare, you bloated, pustulent pigs.'"

Last Friday at 4 p.m., Mark Wesley, 46, a resident of Overland Park's exclusive Maple Bluff subdivision, heard the sound of "animal-like shrieking" coming from the vicinity of his front lawn. Upon opening his front door, he was greeted by the sight of a pale and shirtless Manson carving a pentagram into his chest with a razor blade.

"Look at me, suburban dung," Manson told Wesley. "Does this shock you?"

When Wesley replied no, he said Manson became "petulant." Recalled Wesley: "He started stamping his feet and shaking his fists, saying, 'What do you mean no? Aren't your uptight, puritanical sensibilities offended? Don't you want to censor me so you don't have to confront the ugly truth I represent?' So I say, 'Well, not particularly.' Then, after a long pause, he says, 'Well, screw you, jerk!' and walks off sulking."

That evening, Linda Schmidt was preparing to drive her daughter Alyssa to a Girl Scouts meeting when she found Manson standing on her porch draped in sheep entrails.

"I knew who he was, but I was kind of busy and didn't really have time to chat," Schmidt said. "He just kept standing there staring at me, expecting me to react in some way."

Added Schmidt: "I tried to be nice and humor him a little. I said, 'Yesiree, that sure is some shocking satanic imagery, no doubt about it. And that one eye with no color in the pupil, very disturbing. I'd sure like to suppress that.' I mean, what do you say to Marilyn Manson?"

A deflated Manson remained on Schmidt's porch as she and Alyssa drove off.

Subsequent attempts to provoke outrage were met with equal indifference.

"[Manson] was standing at my front door wearing those fake breasts he wore on the cover of Mechanical Animals," retiree Judith Hahn said. "He said, 'My name is Marilyn Manson, and I'm here to tear your little world apart.' I thought he was collecting for the Kiwanis food drive, so I gave him some cans of pumpkin-pie filling."

Undaunted, Manson and his entourage stepped up their assault on mainstream American sensibilities. On Tuesday, they arrived in the tiny Detroit suburb of Grosse Pointe Farms, where stockbroker Glenn Binford answered his doorbell to find Manson hanging upside-down on a wooden cross as Ramirez performed fellatio on him.

"I just stood there thinking, now there's a boy who tries way too hard," Binford said. "I mean, come on: Homoerotic sacrilege went out in the late '90s."

Other provocative acts by Manson???including dismembering a chicken, bathing in pig's blood, and wearing a three-piece suit of human noses???failed to arouse anyone's ire, instead prompting comments such as "sophomoric," "trite," and "so Alice Cooper."

Manson's lone brush with controversy occurred in Edina, MN, a suburb of Minneapolis. An unidentified neighborhood-watch volunteer phoned police after seeing a nude, feces-smeared Manson being led around on a leash by a dwarf dominatrix. Officers arrived on the scene, but let Manson go with a warning for parading without a city permit.

"I could have given him a citation, but I figured, how much harm is he really causing?" Edina Police Officer Dan Herberger said. "I mean, he's just Marilyn Manson, for the love of Mike."

The "Boo" tour was dealt a further blow when Manson learned that Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP had been banned from all Kmart stores. Manson's current album, Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death), is still available.

"Why are all you people outraged by Eminem? He's not scary!" Manson said. "He doesn't sport ghoulishly pale skin or wear gender-bending make-up. He's just some regular guy. I'm the one who people should be terrified by, not him! Me!"

"If you ban me," Manson continued, "I promise to rail against censorship and hypocrisy. Please? Pretty, pretty please?"

By Monday, the tour appeared to have lost all momentum. Sources close to Manson described him as "exhausted and discouraged," despite not having even completed the first leg of the three-month tour. By the time he arrived in Hoffman Estates, IL, Manson had resorted to leaving flaming bags of dog feces on doorsteps and shining a flashlight under his chin to make himself look "spooky." He was ultimately chased from a Hoffman Estates subdivision by a group of bicycle-riding teenagers who advised him to "get [his] chalk-white goblin ass" out of their neighborhood.

On Friday, Manson is slated to appear in Bethesda, MD, where many believe he will bring his tour to a premature end.

"Have you people forgotten already?" Manson told The Washington Post. "You all thought I was responsible for Columbine two years ago. Well, I was! I was! I know I vehemently denied it at the time, but, really, I personally told those two kids to shoot up the school. I'm serious. I sent them an e-mail. And I told them to worship Satan, too. You hear that, kids? Marilyn Manson says you should shoot your friends in the head with a gun! And everyone should eat babies! And rape their dead grandparents! And poop on a church! There, now will someone please be offended?"

• Awesome video. Lots of funny moments. Masturbation turning people into cats. Tyler-gina. Tylericentaur.

What was that slap a Black girl into an Asian girl thing?

I think I'm too old to listen to them, like sit down and listen to them, but they come up with some clever ideas.

• Double

• Tyler kinda looks like Miss J in that centaur wig!

• The video's funny, but that beat is pretty wack. Odd Future has become more of an outlet to witness youthful rap energy than to hear good rap music.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    youknowyouknow said:
    The video's funny, but that beat is pretty wack. Odd Future has become more of an outlet to witness youthful rap energy than to hear good rap music.

Hmm, I feel pretty much the opposite. The video has some good bits but I don't think I ever want to see it again (though the snort to pull back to centaur part did genuinely make me laugh). However I think it's the best track I've heard from these guys in ages, a throwback to when a lot of their stuff was good rapping over stripped back beats. If the track is an indication of what the group album is going to be like I'm officially hyped again for it.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Interesting video, but it strikes me as a desperate ploy to maintain relevancy. Them A$AP dudes seem to have replaced OF as the youthful rap crew du jour.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    phongone said:
    Interesting video, but it strikes me as a desperate ploy to maintain relevancy. Them A$AP dudes seem to have replaced OF as the youthful rap crew du jour.

What, there's only room for one of those, then? Is rap now like reggae, where there's only ever one international superstar at a time? Is it even possible for a crew that's barely been on most people's radar for more than two years to be making "a desperate ploy to maintain relevancy"? Funny, it just looks like a music video to me. Thank fuck Wu Tang weren't received like this; we'd have been lucky to ever hear Liquid Swords.

• You guys don't get sick of the over-the-top shock value raps? I recognize the skill and talent but damn man, that stuff gets old and silly to me pretty fast. (Same with the imagery.) It's not just an Odd Future thing neither, I felt the same way with Eminem. (And in a different-but-similar way, Rick Ross and his superhero drug dealer quadrillionaire persona). Don't get me wrong, there are times when it's done in a witty way, but when it comes off as a blatant "oooh...this will REALLY piss off so-and-so" it tends to take away from - as silly as it sounds - "the art" of it.

Maybe I'm old and maybe I'm soft...whatever.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Shit is just funny, period. I don't know what you self-righteous crusties are rambling on about.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I don't consume it enough to get sick of it. Removing the musical aspect from the conversation for a minute - I am glad for its presence and prefer creative, silly, shock attempts than self-righteous, take-oneself-too-seriously stuff which I guess one can say is on the other end of the spectrum. It's a very good thing there's room for these guys to have a career. Anyway, to Doc's point, there's plenty of room for all of it.

I do like their music, so when they do shit for the "art" and/or fun of it, that's a bonus to me. I genuinely like the music artists like Gucci, Wayne, A$AP and Odd Future make, and I guess since I like clothes and shoes, I thoroughly enjoy things like ridiculous and fun one-upmanship of chains and outfits...and videos that aren't all rolling through the hood, custom cars, corner signs, ass claps and crackheads dancing in front of the liquor store.

• bassie said:
    I don't consume it enough to get sick of it. Removing the musical aspect from the conversation for a minute - I am glad for its presence and prefer creative, silly, shock attempts than self-righteous, take-oneself-too-seriously stuff which I guess one can say is on the other end of the spectrum. It's a very good thing there's room for these guys to have a career. Anyway, to Doc's point, there's plenty of room for all of it.

I do like their music, so when they do shit for the "art" and/or fun of it, that's a bonus to me. I genuinely like the music artists like Gucci, Wayne, A$AP and Odd Future make, and I guess since I like clothes and shoes, I thoroughly enjoy things like ridiculous and fun one-upmanship of chains and outfits...and videos that aren't all rolling through the hood, custom cars, corner signs, ass claps and crackheads dancing in front of the liquor store.

I hate anybody that takes themselves too seriously, that extends far beyond rappers. Personally though, I don't prefer one over the other. I'm equally annoyed by both 'cause they both come off as "trying waaaay too hard." Guess I'm more of a middle ground type of dude when it comes that. I'm also a card-carrying member of the "room for it all" crowd, though I might not listen to it all. (Case in point, I have the utmost respect for what ICP does.)

Herm said:

I hate anybody that takes themselves too seriously, that extends far beyond rappers. Personally though, I don't prefer one over the other. I'm equally annoyed by both 'cause they both come off as "trying waaaay too hard."

This is person-/artist-specific imo, not a given characteristic of a whole ideology, aesthetic, genre, etc.

• bassie said:
    ass claps

so do you like or not like the gigantic, earthquake-inducing ass clap that starts off this video?

lmho - I'm neither here nor there about it.
    I mean the whole video is taking the already ridiculous and overdone and making it even more ridiculous and therefore not that overdone...yet?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    Have we discussed this new video yet? Are these kids really crazy or is this just more of them going for shock value? The video is a little next level.

I think their whole crew is dope but, IMO, I think they just keep the "shock" thing going because this formula has been working for them. Odd Future w/o the craziness is just a gang of skaters that can rhyme. They take chances and that's something today's Hip-Hop cats lack.

• awesome video. pretty good song.

peace, stein. . .

Breez said:
    They take chances and that's something today's Hip-Hop cats lack.

Yeah, when the alternative is Saigon talking out the side of his mouth about "batty bwoy" rappers who wear skinny jeans which, apart from its innate stupidity and offensiveness, really is the most who-gives-a-fuck topic imaginable for a song, never mind almost an entire fucking mixtape (and I like Saigon), then I'll choose OF, A$AP, Black Hippy et al without a second thought. I've just started doing a review column for one of the monthlies in the UK, and already I'm getting sent some of the most boring rap records I've ever fucking heard in my life. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that mid-90s aesthetic in and of itself - I can listen to a tune like Luchini all day every day. But when you have new music which presents itself as "real hip-hop", yet lacks anything that might elevate it beyond the dreariest kind of four-elements conservatism, it beggars belief that anyone would even want to listen to it, much less hold it up as an example of what hip-hop ought to sound like.

youngEINSTEIN said:
    awesome video. pretty good song.

yea, simply put.

Shit's like the Mulholland Drive of rap videos - a whole lot of confusion and delight!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Saigon???

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

HarveyCanal said:
    Saigon???

Yeah, I liked his album. Sue me. His new mixtape is shit, though. It just so happened he was the uppermost example in my mind at the time of a dude with something to say about this new generation of rappers and their fashion choices. As if that makes any difference to how good Danny Brown is, for instance.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Saigon???

Yeah, I liked his album. Sue me. His new mixtape is shit, though. It just so happened he was the uppermost example in my mind at the time of a dude with something to say about this new generation of rappers and their fashion choices. As if that makes any difference to how good Danny Brown is, for instance.

Saigon's album was okay. Would have been great if it was released in 2007.

Yeah, we've discussed this before, haven't we? I agree and all, but at the same time there are plenty of other records that came out in 2007 which still sound good now. Funny thing is, according to Sai's Twitter, he's managed to place about three or four songs from that album in movies, so it's turned out to have quite a bit of life in it after all. Also, he's been talking about a kind of supergroup project he has cooking called MARS which will supposedly feature him, Cormega, Action Bronson and Roc Marciano produced by Extra P. Can't imagine how Mega would feel about being roped into another "supergroup", but it could be worth a listen, at least.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Earl being back home might make for some more interesting new OF material.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Saigon???

You didn't know he's still relevant? Wait til he comes out with his rap supergroup, MARS.

Mega (Cormega)
    Action Bronson
    Roc Marciano
    Saigon

DocMcCoy said:
    supergroup project he has cooking called MARS which will supposedly feature him, Cormega, Action Bronson and Roc Marciano produced by Extra P. Can't imagine how Mega would feel about being roped into another "supergroup", but it could be worth a listen, at least.

This is good news....I guess?
    Cormega is easily in my top ten - pairing up with Saigon is interesting, but yes - does he need to be part of a bigger thing?...especially with two guys I am not that into lol
    Anyway, I hoping for the best.

bassie said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    supergroup project he has cooking called MARS which will supposedly feature him, Cormega, Action Bronson and Roc Marciano produced by Extra P. Can't imagine how Mega would feel about being roped into another "supergroup", but it could be worth a listen, at least.

This is good news....I guess?
    Cormega is easily in my top ten - pairing up with Saigon is interesting, but yes - does he need to be part of a bigger thing?...especially with two guys I am not that into lol
    Anyway, I hoping for the best.

Well, in many ways I suppose it comes down to how you feel about that classic boom-bap aesthetic; specifically whether or not you think the current "problems" with hip-hop can be traced back to the point when that style ceased to be the only game in town (if, indeed, it ever was). I reckon that between the five of 'em they could get a pretty good album out of this concept. The thing I'm least looking forward to about it is the whole "WE BRINGIN' NEW YORK BACK, SON!" carry-on that's bound to accompany it, because whatever else it does, I doubt it's going to do that.

• "I bet you got some Jake One... you ain't got no Yeezy???"

hahahah

These dudes seem like they're having the best time of their lives riding this Odd Future hype now. I like that they're just having fun and not giving a fuck.

• BeatChemist said:
    "I bet you got some Jake One... you ain't got no Yeezy???"

hahahah

These dudes seem like they're having the best time of their lives riding this Odd Future hype now. I like that they're just having fun and not giving a fuck.

That would be J-kwon not Jake One.