Check out this little sh1t expose the Monsanto Corp and tell them to shove it!

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central

Comments

• Hell yeah! I absolutely hate Monsanto, and especially after them running all kinds of "job creator" ad campaigns in my city.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    http://www.naturalnews.com/034847_Michael_Taylor_Monsanto_FDA.html

The one man who may be responsible for more food related illnesses and deaths than anyone in history, Michael R. Taylor, has just been promoted from US Food Safety Czar to Senior Advisor to the Commissioner of the FDA, a position which would enable the giant biotech company Monsanto to silently and legally feed cancer causing vegetables to every living person who is not 100% strictly organic.

President Obama has appointed the former Monsanto Vice President and lobbyist Michael R. Taylor to the throne. This is the same man who was Food Safety Czar for the FDA when Genetically Modified Organisms were allowed into the US food supply without undergoing a single test to determine their safety or risks.

• Yes, Monsanto is the stereotypical evil corporation.

• and the first to patent life (their seeds).

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    crackpot conspiracy alert

their business practices may be (definitely are) ruinous and immoral, but there is nothing wrong with GM crops.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Rishan said:
    crackpot conspiracy alert

their business practices may be (definitely are) ruinous and immoral, but there is nothing wrong with GM crops.

evidence on health effects of GM crops may be unclear, but that doesn't meant that there's nothing wrong with GM crops.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    There's got to be a middle ground. The jury is still out on GM crops but there's not enough food in the world to feed everyone without them.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    the jury is only still out because people who have no understanding of science are in positions of influence

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    white_tea said:
    ...there's not enough food in the world to feed everyone without them...

There is enough food, the problem is it's unequally distributed &/or used for other purposes (ex. biofuels or livestock feed).

• Rishan said:
    the jury is only still out because people who have no understanding of science are in positions of influence

It's been a while since I've taken a look at any of the GMO-related issues, but my understanding was always that there isn't any scientific evidence that they cause any of the health problems that some people attribute to them. Has there been a reversal on this?

• one of the issues is that long term effects will pretty much be determined on the people consuming them. ummm, no thanks. this is from a company that dumped pcbs in every waterway in the world and suppressed their data that pcbs caused cancer for over fifty years. take a look at Aniston Alabama...real nice business practices. i will give monsanto no benefit of the doubt ever and find it hard to believe that they are all of a sudden not a pathological criminal organization.

you want to put them in charge of the world food supply? proprietary seed stock, terminator seeds, and all this fuckery is intended to crush independent farming and make everyone dependent on their experiments for survival. there is a reason that many countries refuse to harbor gmo crops.

• if you look really closely, you can see the hand of his parents up his ass working him like a puppet.

excellent message...... but surely depressing when you pull the curtain away.

b/w

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    what does GM crops have to do with PCBs? Monsanto are scumbags in the top bracket, but it is completely unrelated. you can't just associate GM crops with Monsanto only.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    dwyhajlo said:

It's been a while since I've taken a look at any of the GMO-related issues, but my understanding was always that there isn't any scientific evidence that they cause any of the health problems that some people attribute to them. Has there been a reversal on this?

aye, that is correct. but because people don't understand genetics (or are unwilling to learn it) they talk all kinds of shite about it.

• Baby, bathwater.

Sure there's *some* good to be derived from GMO.

However, Monsanto is among more craven, ruthless corps I've ever come across...

AND shouldn't our FOOD SUPPLY (in contrast to, say, the laptop market or music licensing or some other industry not fundamental to the survival of our human race) be the subject of a little more oversight than the average industry? I dunno, maybe Monsanto shouldn't be running things, that's all.

• Rishan said:
    what does GM crops have to do with PCBs? Monsanto are scumbags in the top bracket, but it is completely unrelated. you can't just associate GM crops with Monsanto only.

let me clarify the relation. Monsanto made fortunes for its investors on both of them.
    i agree you cant associate GM crops with Monsanto, just like McDonalds isnt the sole representative of the fastfood market.

• i'm 100% with rootless on that. keep private profiteers (with abominable track records) far away from the basics of survival.

also 100% with vintage...that little kid was super puppety. but fuck it, at least its positive. kids have parrotted much worse shit

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what's wrong with monsanto?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Monsanto seeds are only good for one harvest. So instead of producing their own seeds for the next growing season, farmers who use Monsanto seeds are dependent on buying seeds again and again from Monsanto each year.

Monsanto is also doing this crazy shit where if your non-Monsanto crops get accidently germinated by Monsanto spores from a nearby Monsanto farm, Monsanto is suing you. It's basically just an underhanded way for Monsanto to shut down organic farms which they view as competition.

Assholes won't be happy until all there is in the world is Monsanto crops. Fuck them!

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Monsanto seeds are only good for one harvest. So instead of producing their own seeds for the next growing season, farmers who use Monsanto seeds are dependent on buying seeds again and again from Monsanto each year.

evidence? i am involved in plant breeding and this is true of some species establishment anyway. genetic modifications occur in nature though mutations and competition from environmental stress and natural selection. this is how all organisms adapt and evolve. the speed of it doesn't matter, one year or a million years. there is no difference in organic crops or GM.

• rishan, terminator seeds, patented by monsanto, dont reseed, making farmers dependent on buying seeds year after year. this is fairly common knowledge. they do a lot of genetic engineering and some of it is specifically intended to make people dependent on them. like monsanto peddling the specific seeds that are resistant to their roundup poison insecticide.

mosanto is not your friend, sorry and gmo's are a sketchy proposition and DEFINITELY not what we should be banking global food production on

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    rishan, terminator seeds, patented by monsanto, dont reseed, making farmers dependent on buying seeds year after year. this is fairly common knowledge. they do a lot of genetic engineering and some of it is specifically intended to make people dependent on them. like monsanto peddling the specific seeds that are resistant to their roundup poison insecticide.

mosanto is not your friend, sorry and gmo's are a sketchy proposition and DEFINITELY not what we should be banking global food production on

it's not just monsanto though, everyone does this - bayer, johnsons, british seed houses, syngenta, barenbrug. if we are going to get into this argument, might as well talk about the ethics of the clothes on our backs and where our laptop components are made etc. it's just how the world works, it's shite, but there is no alternative.

strictly speaking, biologically, there is nothing at all sketchy about GMO's. i work in the industry, have a post grad qualification, and the amount of propaganda, fear mongering and conspiracies surrounding this subject is crazy.

Rishan said:
    it's not just monsanto though, everyone does this - bayer, johnsons, british seed houses, syngenta, barenbrug. if we are going to get into this argument, might as well talk about the ethics of the clothes on our backs and where our laptop components are made etc. it's just how the world works, it's shite, but there is no alternative

Dude, come on. Just because other companies do it, doesn't make it anymore acceptable. If we regularly adopt the attitude "well that's the way it is" or "that's how the world works" than why not just say f*ck it and let it all go to waste. The false equivalency between clothing & Monsanto crops & practices is quite a stretch. However overblown the hype or 'propaganda' may be about gmo's, there are certain consequences pertaining to these crops & the shady practices surrounding their use that put all of our food supply & health at risk. The huge drop in bee populations in North America, may very well be linked to or at least partially caused by some of these crops. Don't forget Monsanto produces pesticides. You should look in to some of the shit they do to farmers & some of the devastation their products have caused; there are several docs out there.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    ost said:

Dude, come on. Just because other companies do it, doesn't make it anymore acceptable. If we regularly adopt the attitude "well that's the way it is" or "that's how the world works" than why not just say f*ck it and let it all go to waste. The false equivalency between clothing & Monsanto crops & practices is quite a stretch. However overblown the hype or 'propaganda' may be about gmo's, there are certain consequences pertaining to these crops & the shady practices surrounding their use that put all of our food supply & health at risk. The huge drop in bee populations in North America, may very well be linked to or at least partially caused by some of these crops. Don't forget Monsanto produces pesticides. You should look in to some of the shit they do to farmers & some of the devastation their products have caused; there are several docs out there.

rubbish. i watched one of those documentaries just before xmas and used to read the conspiracy websites years ago. i'm not at all defending monsanto, but if we are talking about ethics it is all exactly the same. 'fuck it and let it all go to waste' is exactly what is happening. i would love to live in a world without capitalism and bent government in the pockets of exploiting multi national corporations but it's not going to happen.

putting monsanto completely to one side, i don't believe anyone here is well informed enough to talk like they are about GMO's. same goes for pesticides which i am trained to use and lecture on.

and pesticides belong to many different groups of chemicals and hormones that do vastly different things. the advances being made means they are nothing like they used to be in the 60's and 70's etc. all of those have been rightly banned. legislation is heavy as fuck over here in europe. several countries are not even allowed to spray them at all. the bee population thing is very concerning and research has been going on for years into safer, more selective and controlled pesticides, direct action use.

Rishan said:
    ost said:

rubbish. i watched one of those documentaries just before xmas and used to read the conspiracy websites years ago. i'm not at all defending monsanto, but if we are talking about ethics it is all exactly the same. 'fuck it and let it all go to waste' is exactly what is happening. i would love to live in a world without capitalism and bent government in the pockets of exploiting multi national corporations but it's not going to happen.

putting monsanto completely to one side, i don't believe anyone here is well informed enough to talk like they are about GMO's. same goes for pesticides which i am trained to use and lecture on.

and pesticides belong to many different groups of chemicals and hormones that do vastly different things. the advances being made means they are nothing like they used to be in the 60's and 70's etc. all of those have been rightly banned. legislation is heavy as fuck over here in europe. several countries are not even allowed to spray them at all. the bee population thing is very concerning and research has been going on for years into safer, more selective and controlled pesticides, direct action use.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" (Upton Sinclair)

Legislation is heavy because they've already seen the damage that it can do. They've already degraded soils & polluted our environments from the seeping of said pesticides into the aquifers for instance. They don't get to have the benefit of the doubt anymore.

• rubbish. i watched one of those documentaries just before xmas and used to read the conspiracy websites years ago. i'm not at all defending monsanto
    Really? So you're just a reactionary in general?

You watched "one of those documentaries" but can't be bothered to say which one or respond to it but you've helpfully added that it was just before xmas that you saw it. I see how this works.

You tout your credentials in the vaguest way possible and cite no facts or statistics. I guess we should all just shut up and listen to you.

I often wonder, how many of you condescending scientificial types would be ok with standing in a field as you were showered with your own pesticides? I mean, does it take an advanced degree to think this? Or does having thoughts like this preclude one from going into your line of work?

I'll grant that the GMO scare is largely that, a scare. The people who feel that combining two types of fruit may cause cancer in the long term are probably wrong. People focus on GMOs rather than toxics because it's relatively easier to localize one's thinking around the idea of genetically tampering with things that evolved over millions of years than it is to consider what it means to live on poisoned food, breathe heavy metals, and so on and so forth.

And I'll grant that it appears that while the Terminator patent was purchased by Monsanto, they have not deployed it, bless their hearts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto#Terminator_seed_controversy
    http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pages/terminator-seeds.aspx

None of which is to say that defending Monsanto, which is exactly what you just did, repeatedly, isn't the very definition of NAGL.

• Rishan said:
    i work in the industry, have a post grad qualification

Sorry but if you are indeed a scientist then you understand the very rudimentary concept of biodiversity and thus how GMO's and reducing crop types are an hindrance to this?
    Why do I walk into most large grocery stores and see only 1 type of cucumber, 2 types of tomato? An old post war industry that now propagates only one seed type, not good. We have lost so many crop types in such a short time because of these big businesses. There's nothing to believe in or not vis a vis conspiracy, these aren't speculations they are facts.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I study God and work for Him too. That makes me like an angel. And since none of you can even fly, woooooooosh!

• lol @ Rishan.

seeds that can only be harvested one season, created by a corporation, in a lab, with the specific purpose of rendering farmers dependent and increasing profits = genetic mutations that occur naturally over the course of 1,000,000 years.

guys, it's just a difference in scale; it's essentially the same thing!