recommend a good thriller/mystery film plaese

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
my ma told me to see ghost writer (polanski) the other day.
might just do that, but what other great thrillers do you all recommend?

oh yeah, and i was trying to remember the name of a film from about ten years back of a family reunion where there is drama, maybe even a murder. always wanted to see it, but now i cant remember what its called! the reunion? the dinner? those didnt give me results. pretty famous director i think (dont remember that either). the family was white. thats all i got

Comments

• The Ghost Writer is what I was about to login and recommend... So, let's say I second the motion.

• HeyHey 3x2x. Your Ma is right. Ghost Writer is a good Recommend. I think the movie you are thinking of is "The Celebration" Danish Movie, Lars Von Trier? Other good thrillers... Polanski, Hitchcock, I remember Shallow Grave was good but I saw it a while back. Paranormal Activity? Pretty nail biting... It's hard to find a really good Thriller. I'm looking too

Drag Me To Hell was good too

• YEAAAAAH Cro!!! the Celebration!!!!!

ok ghost writer gets props. gotta pull the trigger in a minute or two

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    just caught this on cable the other night

pretty interesting, noir-ish flick.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    NxNW

James Mason FTW

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Blow Out

• blow up
    the boys from brazil
    the conversation
    winter's bone
    the manchurain candidate (the og version)
    a history of violence
    house of games
    marathon man
    martha marcy may marlene
    manhunter
    picnic at hanging rock
    the wicker man
    lone star
    blue velvet
    memento
    the pledge
    affliction
    rosemary's baby
    the 9th gate
    valley of elah

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

blow up
    the wicker man

For The Wicker Man, I can not stress enough how important it is that you watch the original and not the Cage remake.

However, I found the remake of/ode to Blow Up, Blow Out, to be quite good.

Tzameti (13)

Had my stomach in knots. It took me a couple of days to recover.

Ive never seen Clue and if i did it was on HBO way BITD. Anyone?

• Ghost Writer is indeed good as far as recent thrillers go. And Haneke's Cach?? (Hidden) is the best thriller I've seen in years, although I'm sure many people will continue to be baffled by the mystery in it.

Dead Man's Shoes is another new one that I quite liked, and the thriller/mystery element is definitely there.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    The Paculas: Klute, Parallax View and All The Presidents Men. Yes you could say that the latter isn't a thriller but it's definately thrilling

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    'Clue' & 'Murder by Death' are 2 classics, IMO. But if you haven't already, check out 'Hanna' .

Breez said:
    'Clue' & 'Murder by Death' are 2 classics, IMO. But if you haven't already, check out 'Hanna' .

Is Hanna Thriller/Mystery?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Hells yes to Cache and The Celebration (interesting choice this one for the thriller/mystery category, but I am not complaining...incredible film).
    And in light of The Celebration, I would add The Funeral.

Even if the subject matter isn't typical of mysteries, Haneke's films are always shrouded in questions.
    Maybe off the typical thriller/mystery path, but Time of the Wolf and White Ribbon are another two of his that I would say have storylines mostly in the shadows.

Chinatown
    Witness for the Prosecution

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• on Cache.
    That shit is INTENSE!!

Also remembered:

Lemming

weird French Thriller-type movie with Charlotte Gainsbourg

Also: Gotta correct myself. The Celebration is Thomas Vinterberg, not Lars Von Trier

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Technically a mystery but hard to categorize as such since it's so much more than that. Twisted family drama mystery maybe. Very heavy stuff. One of the most rewarding movies I've seen last year, can't recommend it enough.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    batmon said:
    Breez said:

Is Hanna Thriller/Mystery?

A bit of both.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:

The one with Tim Curry, right? Love it. But it's a comedy, not a thriller.

• HarveyCanal said:

Severely underrated.

My favorites:
    Rope
    Rear Window
    Blow Up
    Seconds
    Venus in Furs (1969; Franco)
    Deep End
    The Conversation
    Night Moves
    Blow Out
    Blood Simple
    The Day the Sun Turned Cold
    Sombre
    Mulholland Drive
    Demonlover
    Boarding Gate

More later (maybe).

DJ_Enki said:
    batmon said:

its a mystery film right?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    batmon said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    batmon said:

its a mystery film right?

Spoof whodunit with about five different endings. Rainy sunday afternoon type of film.

Second on Tzameti (13) , really different kind of thriller. I think I saw something recently about a remake being released starring Jason Statham but I'm choosing to pretend this is just a bad dream.

Also, as far as Hitchcock type films (one man/woman rushing against time to save themselves/a loved one and where the viewer is as much in the dark as the protagonist) would also recommend:

Tell No One (Ne le dis ?? personne) - Doesn't quite manage to make it all the way through at the momentum it starts at but still really enjoyable.

Frantic - Another great paranoid chase thriller.

Breakdown - Unexpectedly great lateish Russell. Simple story really well told

• parallax was great!! saw it a long time ago when i bought some weird vhs tapes from a shop that was closing...laughing policeman was another one that i got in that batch that had some memorable scenes. for some reason the most memorable was a detective tailing a guy, getting on an empty bus, and grabbing a seat beside a lady, despite the bus being empty. since then ive always wanted to do that just to weird people out

i still want to see ghost writer, but my viewing partner insisted on the swedish girl with dragon tattoo. not bad at all, although the rapey vibes are always a little rough for friday night viewings.

looooove rear window...i showed my friend a trailer and it was the corniest looking thing ever...very milquetoast. there are others that are more representative of how good the film is. heres the corny one:

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Vertigo
    Zodiac
    Le Samourai
    The Killing (Kubrick)
    Charley Varrick
    The American Friend
    The Long Goodbye
    Lemming
    The 4th Man
    Body Double

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    oh, and for some killer but lesser-known 70s Elliott Gould, The Silent Partner.

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    anybody ever see the perfect host....
    dood from frasier KILLS it...

• my favourite mystery thriller...

stone cold classic for me

Ghost Writer is also killer for sure but don't try to trust in my taste i'm a big polanski fan...

• Semi-corny, supernatural:
    Gotham
    Angel Heart
    Heart of Midnight

Zodiac
    The Right Distance
    Shadows in the Palace
    The Consequences of Love
    Memories of Murder
    Dirty Pretty Things
    8 Women
    Gosford Park
    S??ance
    Eyes Wide Shut
    A Simple Plan (who cares if it's semi-Fargo-derivative?)
    Cure
    The Blue Villa
    Stormy Monday
    American Gigolo
    Bad Timing
    Sisters (and any of those De Palma mysteries/thrillers; love that guy's stuff)
    Klute
    Short Night of the Glass Dolls
    Don't Look Now
    High and Low
    Double Indemnity
    The Woman in the Window

etc. etc.