45 storage solution...inexpensive related

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
only had three at the neighborhood Target, but going to get 3 more when they get back in stock(30 bucks a pop) and stack 'em on these three, perfect... each drawer is over a foot deep. Moved into a new record room and didnt want a buncha white boxes laying around. Records are unorganized, so I just took one record out of each cube so I dont look at the randomness of the spines and say to myself, "I need to organize these" and then not do it. Lazy.

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Hmmm, those have potential.

I'm getting tired of white box living.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    What are those exactly? Link please!

• http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/mobile_product_detail.jsp?tcin=13217121&keywords=Closet maid

Website has em at $35...must of been a sale when I got mine...

• thanks for the tip. those look useful.

are they sturdy enough to stack?

• Yeah, in fact they are made to stack

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    those look nice. are the drawers on rollers? are they strong enough to support a drawer full of 45s?

• Yes, drawers on rollers. No, they are not strong enough, I am just waiting for mine to collapse in a jumbled mess of vinyl and veneer. I am going to treat it like an art installation.

• Sorry for the snarkiness, but there are damn near 900 45s safely stored in the drawers in the photo...yes they can handle the weight.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Damn.. this looks like exactly what I need - except I don't think they're available downunder :(

• jesus that looks nice.

right now i have a bunch of these guys:

not enough 45's to fill up 6 drawers though. however perhaps purchasing a few of those might encourage me to step up my 45 game.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    smoking_robot said:
    . however perhaps purchasing a few of those might encourage me to step up my 45 game.

That logic is gonna take you down a slippery slope and next thing you know, you end up here:

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/mobile_product_detail.jsp?tcin=13217121&keywords=Closet maid

Great solution for an often tricky problem. I like how the drawer fronts are open to tempt the viewer with the frontmost 45. I just stepped up my 45 storage game with a big custom-built desk with drawers full, but these would have been a LOT cheaper. Might get one for the office.

• hook, hows the side to side room inside each drawer? if the 45s arent in tight will they slide around?

• there is a good inch on both sides of the record...so yeah, they can slide, but I found using that inch to stagger them to either side is a good way to separate labels or genres or whatever.

• cool. last question...is the back 1/4 inch?
    i'm considering making some or incorporating it into my turn table console, that i also need to construct :P

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Nice. I like.

Been living with the Platter Packs like woah!

• The_Hook_Up said:
    http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/mobile_product_detail.jsp?tcin=13217121&keywords=Closet maid

Ugh, $42 at my local Target. I guess I can stand to wait until they go on sale because I'll need quite a few.

• mrmatthew said:
    smoking_robot said:
    . however perhaps purchasing a few of those might encourage me to step up my 45 game.

That logic is gonna take you down a slippery slope and next thing you know, you end up here:

a handful of acid trips back, i eventually came to peace with myself about that aspect of my personality.

at first glace i swore that was the illest 8-track collection i ever saw.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This is so boss.

Relatedly...I was in Ikea over the weekend and looking at dressers for this same reason. I did come upon this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80129589/

Each drawer is about 10 inches deep, if I recall, which is more shallow than typical Ikea dressers. It's theoretically wide enough to fit four rows of 45s but I couldn't accurately measure it. I've been obsessed with building/hacking together some kind of 45 storage system that uses drawers so between Target and Ikea, one of these should work well.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    the Target joints look real nice. I just wish they were an inch narrower so that there wasn't so much free space for the 45s to float around in, but i think that's just the record OCD in me talking.

• If anyone wants a more solid interior for the 45's I imagine two cut furring strips adhered along the bottom outer edges inside the drawer could make for a nice blocking and tighten up the fit. I am about to order a stack of these as well. Thanks so much for the heads up!

• brian, i was thinking about it and you coul easily remedy that with a little foam insert, one inch high, wedged into the bottom of the drawer. or two on each side to keep it aesthetically centered.
    i really like the front exposure (aYO!) allowing you to see the 7 inches (had to go there AYO). i'm thinking when i build a console to hold decks to have a couple drawers like the Targets but have two rows in each

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

Damn those are sexy lookin! I'm lunch break diggin' today at target.

• 4YearGraduate said:
    If anyone wants a more solid interior for the 45's I imagine two cut firring strips adhered along the bottom outer edges inside the drawer could make for a nice blocking and tighten up the fit. I am about to order a stack of these as well. Thanks so much for the heads up!

didnt see your post. same thought!

they does indeed look good

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

• yo that design is nice!! does it come in black too?
    you got specs on it?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

• cant see the interior on that one, tho

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So I copped one of these from Target yesterday - $38, ouch. Kind of a pain to put together; took at least 90 minutes but would likely be faster the second time.

My own beef with it, right now, is that the drawer doesn't pull out far enough to be able to easily reach the 7"s in the back. If you treat these drawers, card catalog style, it's not so bad, though the edges of the rails are potentially sharp enough to cut you if you're not careful. I think finding a way to shorten them isn't a bad idea but then you're also losing storage space which seems counter-productive.

This said, I'm tempted to try buying two more of these and then lashing them together, probably with some kind of spacer between them, and then building a three crate LP box on top. Getting the dimensions to match would be the main challenge...normally, the three organizers, side by side, would be 36 inches wide but to have a complementary set of LP boxes to fit on top, you'd probably want to add at least another 3-4 inches. That'd give you 9 drawers for 7"s (probably...700-800?), plus 3 bins for LPs (200?) on top.

My other thought was buying four of these total, putting them 2x2 to create a top space of 24x23, which would easily be big enough to fit most turntables or record cleaners. The only problem would be that you couldn't put it in a corner since you need access on both sides; it's not as convenient a footprint as side-by-side.

But I have to say...I had actually sketched out a basic design for a 7" + LP organizer that used drawers on the bottom and bins on top. Provided, I had imagined LP drawers on the lowest base and then two stories of 7" drawers on top of that, with one set of LP bins on the very top, but frankly, for the cost, I'm willing to compromise!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    cant see the interior on that one, tho

I think the configuration is customizable. I'd have to check the specs, though.