pimlicosquirrelpimlicosquirrel 772 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
In the last week we have seen....

Pete Rock
Tango Saloon
Mike Patton
The Tshetsha Boys
Taraf de Haidouks, King Naat Veliov & the Original Kocani Orkestar

These dudes were sick, check out the guy at 1:40.

Comments

• :off_the_wall:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Fleet Foxes last night, Guitar Wolf a few weeks back, both were great.

• jeff beck a couple of months back with narada michael walden on drums.

some suspect song choices and narada's singing did do much for me but jb ran the whole gamut of his styles. his tone is fucking insane and he is playing as good if not better than he ever has.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    pimlicosquirrel said:

:off_the_wall:

REALLY not checking for this guy live anymore. I hope Kenny Parker comes with him to DJ and they put on a real show. If KRS is using local DJs on the tour, good luck with that.

pimlicosquirrel said:

I also thought it was crazy that he is taking a boat to Australia from New York? How do you even do that and how long does it take? If you are scared to fly, get on the flight take a couple vicodins and have a few drinks and sleep. Easy.

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    ^ I hear that Big Chan. I'd love to know the reason behind him not flying - regardless, people in Australia are hungry for this tour.. It's been a long time in the making..
    The boat will take a month to get to Australia (via Hawaii & New Zealand) - and then he will be riding on a tour bus around the country from state to state, including the massive 1727 miles across barren desert (the Nullabor Plain) between Adelaide and Perth.
    Apparently the tour may take a couple of months, which I imagine will be quite the experience for KRS and his entourage, as much as it will be a logistical nightmare for the tour manager.
    I'm not entirely certain of this, but it would make sense for him to stop in many rural areas along the way - Which would make for an amazing journey,
    We're all pretty excited about it finally happening..

• Fleet foxes were red hot
    Beirut was pretty good

Hanging out for Hall and Oates in early Feb.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    The Stepkids
    The Greyboy Allstars w/guest Fred Wesley
    Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:

REALLY not checking for this guy live anymore. I hope Kenny Parker comes with him to DJ and they put on a real show. If KRS is using local DJs on the tour, good luck with that.

Why is he on your live show no-go list? I haven't seen him live in a long time; did he switch up his performance style or something?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Fleet Foxes at Henry Miller Library in Big Sur. Killer performance. Perfect venue for them.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Larry and His Flask last week here in the Kane. Bangin' show. Great energy.

• I saw the Numero Group DJ last night. It was fire. They should do that more often. Anyone else catch that?

• Big_Chan said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:

It's been such a long time coming, I fear a little too long. Although I'm somewhat apprehensive, I'll be going. But I don't want to be hearing about the 9 elements all night.

I loathe to think what the tickets will cost with all the overheads.

• Got to see my best friend play drums with mike watt and Steve mackay (sax player on Stooges "funhouse") on a set of all stooges songs in a tiny bar...most fun I have had at a live show in a long time.

DJ_Enki said:
    Big_Chan said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:

Why is he on your live show no-go list? I haven't seen him live in a long time; did he switch up his performance style or something?

When was the last time you saw him live? He was great when I saw him in the early 90s. Return Of The Boom Bap was his last good album and that was in 1993. Dude started to lose me when he went on college lecture tours and started the "Temple Of Hip-Hop." He needs to just focus on making good music. I attended a couple of his college lectures the first year he started doing them. He contradicted himself a number of times and made a lot of ridiculous arguments. He was here a few weeks ago and I did not go to any of the shows. I saw a video from one of the shows where it was KRS on stage and he was using a local DJ for the show. He told the kid to play real hip-hop for him to rap over. Then KRS kept yelling at the kid every time he started a song because he did not like the song selection. KRS wanted the DJ to only play super keep it real old school hip-hop breaks. Then the kid put on a BDP instrumental joint and KRS stopped again and told the DJ he was cheating by playing that. KRS was yelling at this kid over and over again on stage in front of a crowd. Where was Kenny Parker? Why the hell was he doing a show without his DJ that would play music he liked? I thought it was real corny to do that.
    Did you see this article? http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/krs-one-australian-tour-2012/
    The article had me laughing out loud. "KRS-One is a must see concert and a mandatory lecture for anyone really interested in the true essence of hip hop and how to successfully live the culture." I'm just interested in seeing good live music when I attend a show. I don't need anyone giving me a lecture on how to successfully live the culture. I might sound old, bitter, jaded, whatever but I hope he brings Kenny Parker and puts on some fantastic shows in Australia. I am sure he is still capable of it and he has plenty of classic records to perform. He just needs to get off that "Teacha" platform.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Big_Chan said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:

When was the last time you saw him live? He was great when I saw him in the early 90s. Return Of The Boom Bap was his last good album and that was in 1993. Dude started to lose me when he went on college lecture tours and started the "Temple Of Hip-Hop." He needs to just focus on making good music. I attended a couple of his college lectures the first year he started doing them. He contradicted himself a number of times and made a lot of ridiculous arguments. He was here a few weeks ago and I did not go to any of the shows. I saw a video from one of the shows where it was KRS on stage and he was using a local DJ for the show. He told the kid to play real hip-hop for him to rap over. Then KRS kept yelling at the kid every time he started a song because he did not like the song selection. KRS wanted the DJ to only play super keep it real old school hip-hop breaks. Then the kid put on a BDP instrumental joint and KRS stopped again and told the DJ he was cheating by playing that. KRS was yelling at this kid over and over again on stage in front of a crowd. Where was Kenny Parker? Why the hell was he doing a show without his DJ that would play music he liked? I thought it was real corny to do that.
    Did you see this article? http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/krs-one-australian-tour-2012/
    The article had me laughing out loud. "KRS-One is a must see concert and a mandatory lecture for anyone really interested in the true essence of hip hop and how to successfully live the culture." I'm just interested in seeing good live music when I attend a show. I don't need anyone giving me a lecture on how to successfully live the culture. I might sound old, bitter, jaded, whatever but I hope he brings Kenny Parker and puts on some fantastic shows in Australia. I am sure he is still capable of it and he has plenty of classic records to perform. He just needs to get off that "Teacha" platform.

I haven't seen him since the '90s...Kenny Parker was still his DJ, and he was putting on a fantastic show. I guess that's not the deal anymore.

While I think that it's cool in theory that he'll use some local DJ for his show now, he should at least communicate with the guy beforehand as to what sort of beats he wants rather than just leaving it up to chance and bitching the dude out onstage.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    It was a couple months back. Dam-Funk and Matthewdavid. Matthewdavid did a funk set for the show that killed it. I enjoyed it more than Dam-Funk who was also great.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    SoundOutLoud said:
    I saw the Numero Group DJ last night. It was fire. They should do that more often. Anyone else catch that?

I meant to make it up to the Hideout for the Numeros but the people I was with said the nay-no.

POLICA at Schuba's on the same night was killer though. I usually have a hard time watching bands that play with pre-recorded tracks but the dual drummer setup kept everything very interesting.

Any Strutteurs messin with POLICA?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    jeff beck a couple of months back with narada michael walden on drums.

some suspect song choices and narada's singing did do much for me but jb ran the whole gamut of his styles. his tone is fucking insane and he is playing as good if not better than he ever has.

He sounds fantastic, but then I've been a fan since I was a teenager. Also, it looks from that clip as if Tal Wilkenfeld is back in his band, is that right? I thought she was off doing her own thing.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    My boy Gordon Voidwell played in Gil Scott tribute around corner from my crib on Saturday. Cool to see my dude on stage rocking with Vernon Reid, Nona Hendryx, Abiodun Oyewole of The Last Poets and especially Brian Jackson, who was really doing his thing on keys and flute.

The show was organized by the Black Rock Coalition Orchestra, who I wasn't up on, but who killed it over the course of two and half hours, with lots of great archival audio and video footage of Gil. Great show.

Seeing Roy Ayers on Thursday. Anyone seen him recently?

• DocMcCoy said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

He sounds fantastic, but then I've been a fan since I was a teenager. Also, it looks from that clip as if Tal Wilkenfeld is back in his band, is that right? I thought she was off doing her own thing.

not tal wilkenfeld, some other lady bass player who wasn't too flashy...

• Unherd said:

Seeing Roy Ayers on Thursday. Anyone seen him recently?

Yeah, a couple of times in the last few years, always a great show imo. Both times have been in very small venue's which has added to the flavor.

Video from last years show.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

not tal wilkenfeld, some other lady bass player who wasn't too flashy...

That's Rhonda Smith, ex-Prince bassist. She's nice.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Ah, OK. The footage was a little too murky for me to be certain, but it did cross my mind she might be a little too tall and not skinny enough to be Tal Wilkenfeld. Sounds good, though.

• I saw Wu Tang last night here in SF.

Pretty weak show.

Gza, Meth, Cappadonna, U-God, Deck, Rza and two no-names.

• Due to see Alabama Shakes soon.. Girl can wail....

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I've seen the Swans at the Brooklyn Music Hall a few months back and that was one of the best shows I've ever been to.