nailbiting solutions? (obviously nrr)

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Even worse than my vinyl habit is my nailbiting habit. Been doing it my whole life. Have any strutters kicked the habit? What worked for you?

Comments

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    nail polish?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Pretend your nails are covered in toxic waste. Chew gum. Cut them excruciatingly short.

Dig more and cake up your hands with grime.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    you should try gloves all day. Also maybe putting something that tastes terrible on your fingernails might do the trick

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    They already are exruciatingly short. Its not so much a nervous habit for me, I don't even notice when I'm biting my nails- it's like second nature. I've never clipped my nails once in my life, I've been biting them since I had teeth. When I was younger I tried that stuff that you put on them that tastes nasty. Then I would forget that it was on my nails and start nailbiting that nasty taste. Then I would already have the taste in my mouth so I'd just keep on chewing the rest. Worst habit ever I tell you.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    What worked for you?

chimpanzees

next time you folls see me I'll be wearing gloves and chewing gum lol.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Even worse than my vinyl habit is my nailbiting habit.

especially on a woman...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    doods, mole is no joke. even if he stuck his hand in dogshit, he'd still be like this in 5min...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    GROSS

Mine aren't nearly that bad. It could be worse though, I could have

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Mine aren't nearly that bad. It could be worse though, I could have

S.T.D.'S and openly talk about it.

suddenly I feel so ashamed

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    1. Oral Stage (Age 0 - 1.5)

Erogenous Zone in Focus: Mouth

Gratifying Activities: Nursing - eating, as well as mouth movement, including sucking, gumming, biting and swallowing.

Interaction with the Environment: To the infant, the mother's breast not only is the source of food and drink, but also represents her love. Because the child's personality is controlled by the id and therefore demands immediate gratification, responsive nurturing is key. Both insufficient and forceful feeding can result in fixation in this stage.

Symptoms of Oral Fixation:

* Smoking
    * Constant chewing on gum, pens, pencils, etc.
    * Nail biting
    * Overeating
    * Drinking
    * Sarcasm ("the biting personality") and verbal hostility

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    clearly you are going about this all wrong. the problem is not with your nails, but with your mouth. Wire that bitch shut. Problem solved.

What would Rusty Kuntz do?

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    obsessively cleaning them with a toothpick or paperclip.
    you could always take up smoking.

• man i bite the shit out of my fingernails as well as the hangnails and skin around them. I have done it my whole life and would love to quit. I do it all day,everyday..clean or dirty hands. Gross I know..but I cant seem to catch myself before I start. Also..when sitting I get that fucking coke knee bounce action like a madman. please help

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    When I was little, I'd always pick the dead skin around my fingers. Mom made me wear a batter's glove, as a result.

• When I was little, I'd always pick the dead skin around my fingers. Mom made me wear a batter's glove, as a result.

yeah im really bad about that too. maybe I should wear Mizuno batting gloves to work

man i bite the shit out of my fingernails as well as the hangnails and skin around them. I have done it my whole life and would love to quit. I do it all day,everyday..clean or dirty hands. Gross I know..but I cant seem to catch myself before I start. Also..when sitting I get that fucking coke knee bounce action like a madman. please help

Finally, someone that relates.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    work on some breathing exercizes and shit.

• sit on your hands.

sit on your hands.

How do I do that when I'm walking? Peace

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    sit on your hands.

• sit on your hands.

How do I do that when I'm walking? Peace
    pockets.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    shit on your hands.

• shit on your hands.

tried that and it didnt work either

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Even worse than my vinyl habit is my nailbiting habit.

especially on a woman...

REAL TALK

And it wouldn't matter how fine she was for me, females with nasty or too short nails, man - even stumpy thumbs are a super-duper turn off.

Even thinking about it gives my stomach the :willies:

• They already are exruciatingly short. Its not so much a nervous habit for me, I don't even notice when I'm biting my nails- it's like second nature. I've never clipped my nails once in my life, I've been biting them since I had teeth.

Me too. At this point I've accepted it as my personal addiction. There is no getting rid of it. I've ditched it for weeks at a time, until I'm driving somewhere and unconsciously bite all of em down. At least it won't shorten my life like smoking.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts