What are 2 Complimentary Genres you can enjoy hearing back and forth?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
Hey all,
basically what the title says, like if you had Genre A and Genre B and basically switched between the two genres over and over, what do you find interesting? I'm even more curious of stuff that you weren't sure you wouldn't have enjoyed as much, but it worked. For myself, a while back there used to be this local program on a college radio station that mixed up Northern Soul and Rockabilly (I don't even think I knew those were genres back then) and I never knew the artists, but it was a great dynamic and I loved it. Thoughts? And limit it to 2 genres if possible (it's more polarizing).

Comments

• Perhaps if you asked the question in the form of a heavily photoshopped gif?

Still lurkin' like me eh?

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    I always found punk and dancehall/reggae go well together.

• STEVie
    nicks
    SteviE
    Wonder
    Steve
    MILLer
    Stev e
    PeRRy
    Stevie
    WinwooD
    Cat
    STEvens
    dead serious

reggae and r&b

• STEVie
    nicks
    SteviE
    Wonder
    Steve
    MILLer
    Stev e
    PeRRy
    Stevie
    WinwooD
    Cat
    STEvens
    dead serious

reggae and r&b

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Texas rap and NOLA rap.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Death Metal, and Easy Listening.
    Once you get a bit worn out by the heavy themes and thunderous guitars plus the negativity of the death metal...

Switch to the easy listening for some lighter fare and relief!

Then, when the easy listening becomes a little too fluffy and m.o.r.,
    its back to the harder stuff for that sorely missed oomph.

I'll demonstrate below.

See?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Kadink said:
    I always found punk and dancehall/reggae go well together.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    Reggae & Jungle

HipHop & Drum&Bass; or Jungle

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Dub
    Psych

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I like both kinds of music, country AND western.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    My night is pre-1985 (it started out as pre-1980) soul and reggae. It works out quite well. I think this is an obvious one?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont get this thread?

If two genres are "COMPLIMENTARY", listening to them back to back/switching up isnt an issue.

Shouldnt it be - 2 Genres that arent comp that somehow are?

Were talkin Peanut Butter Meets Chocolate Soundclash steez?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    -Bats, any way you want to phrase it man, the musical equivelant of mayonaise on french fries (i've still yet to try that nasty shit, yet i'm wierdly curious...would definitely do french fries and vanilla ice cream...should have been born pregnant.

-Bassie, yeah soul and reggae is obvious, but it's always dependable and legit, moreso with a sweet reggae soul cover! best of both worlds at the same time, which is efficient on time.

-Ska and big band jazz....similarities because of the horns, but the rhythms are totally different.

-At the gym I like 80s hardcore/punk/slayer with early 90s gangsta rap, but I never listen to that combination at home or for leisure.

-Thirding punk & reggae

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    french fries and mustard is much better!!

more interesting than the genres mixing is the fan bases...punk and reggae might work at your local crusties hang-out, but just try dropping From Ashes Rise or Crass at the next Black and Red bashment.

I played records for my friends' record release a while ago - punk/hardcore bands all night. I brought rap records because the band members are listeners/fans...the audience, maybe not so much lol. It worked for the most part, people were into it and all that, but it almost ended in blows with me and a couple because of the 'c'rap I was playing. Good times.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Hmm maybe with Dijon mustard...chutney would be wicked too now that i think of it

That's a good point Bassie, its easy to romanticize the crowds in the UK back in the day with reggae/dub and punk in its infancy, but pulling off something like that would be a challenge. Based on my experience with various demographics over the years, if there is a genre that unites pot heads, goths, metal heads, frats, ginos, hoppers and all the rest...they are all closet fans of a genre known as "U2." Really strange phenomenom. I never look at them the same after they admit that. And I never tell them I love the song "Mysterious Ways."

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    House + Disco

Boogie + Hip Hop