post some LANDMARK skater vid's

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
IE Pat Duffy's spot in Questionable. Please note the pair uber-essential rail moves starting @3:58.

Coming at ya from '922222!!

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    could take the whole video, but this obviously is the greatest video part of all time:

the most landmarkinest of all landmarks

except maybe this one, when I think about it:

bonus on the TG one for the satin "AJ SCRATCH" jacket at the end.

...I always wondered

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    could take the whole video, but this obviously is the greatest video part of all time:

the most landmarkinest of all landmarks
    Jason Lee's parts on this had a massive impact, his ramp section was an eye opener.

Santa Cruz' "Home Movie" was pretty essential, the soundtrack was killer.

so many incredible skate vids, "Second Hand Smoke" was another killer.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Hell yeah. That TG was gonna be my follow up. So necessary

:shreddin_it:

great, now I'm an hour deep into skate videos on youtube. thanks.

holmes said:

Jason Lee's parts on this had a massive impact, his ramp section was an eye opener.

Santa Cruz' "Home Movie" was pretty essential, the soundtrack was killer.

so many incredible skate vids, "Second Hand Smoke" was another killer.

You think Jason Lee's ramp part in Video Days had the impact his street part did? I remember one run. It had a FS blunt in it, which was insane, but his street part: he BS kickflips a goddamn bench! So huge. I don't think he does a rolling 360flip in there, but he does soon afterwards, and that's what I think about when I hear his name. And Scientology and acting.
    Music-wise, I mindgarden his part above Gonz's. That Knife Song better for him than Coltrane. I swear.

Music matters so much. I just watched Koston's Menikmati part and remembered that even though the tricks are amazing and it's the emergence of the "frangle," the blazing downtempo keeps it from being higher up on my landmark list.

I will look for Home Movie now. I remember it for a Seattle skater Ryan Aningalan, but not for much else.

SHS has that Jeremy Wray White Room part, right? Super solid the huge flips over huge gaps? Unbelievable.

this is fun

Not as much for the skating, but for Rocco's "give two punk kids the credit card and the fancy car and film it" style. Definitely influential. Big Brother leads to Jackass leads to half the shit on teevee now:

• barjesus said:

Yes. The song. The fire hydrant. Wowee

dukeofdelridge said:

You think Jason Lee's ramp part in Video Days had the impact his street part did? I remember one run. It had a FS blunt in it, which was insane, but his street part: he BS kickflips a goddamn bench! So huge. I don't think he does a rolling 360flip in there, but he does soon afterwards, and that's what I think about when I hear his name. And Scientology and acting.
    Music-wise, I mindgarden his part above Gonz's. That Knife Song better for him than Coltrane. I swear.

Music matters so much. I just watched Koston's Menikmati part and remembered that even though the tricks are amazing and it's the emergence of the "frangle," the blazing downtempo keeps it from being higher up on my landmark list.

I will look for Home Movie now. I remember it for a Seattle skater Ryan Aningalan, but not for much else.

SHS has that Jeremy Wray White Room part, right? Super solid the huge flips over huge gaps? Unbelievable.

this is fun
    of course the street part of Lee's in VD was the thing but the ramp part was eye opening because we didn't realise that he could do that too & at a time when ramps were dying off.

Santa Cruz Streets/Wheels Of Fire still hold up too.

The first couple of Stereo vids are also worth revisiting.

Sick Boys back in the late 80s (early Mack Dawg) was always a fave.

I remember days when you could go to the local video store & rent vids like Rad Moves, Terror At Tahoe, Animal Chin etc.
    They even played Animal Chin at the local movie theatre when it dropped.

• One of my favorites, even though I don't think it is "technically" his best part:

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

i liked welcome to hell because it epitomized a time (for me at least) when the videos were all about going big without all the tech shit that followed. they were fun.
    plus they had the best bails segments (my alma mater makes a lot of appearances!)

that slam section from WTH is all time classic.

This one sold a lot of plane tickets to SF. And Heiro records:

more!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    great, now I'm an hour deep into skate videos on youtube. thanks.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    When Girl came out with the Goldfish video it was huge with my friends. We would set the VCR to continous playback and leave that schitt on for days.

• Not even a skater but enjoyed all of these vids.. Then went to look up an old school local skater I knew(Kien Lieu) and found him
    on this footage. Didn't even know he went all the way back to 89.. Crazy.

matamatic said:
    Not even a skater but enjoyed all of these vids.. Then went to look up an old school local skater I knew(Kien Lieu) and found him
    on this footage. Didn't even know he went all the way back to 89.. Crazy.

i'm hardly a skater anymore, but I'll always be a skater. duuuuuuuuuuuuude you know, right? Corny, but true.

Hokus Pokus got worn out over here. You just blew my mind when I hit play on your vid link and it's that kid singing Satisfaction: I started singing right along, and realized that's still how I sing that song to myself. And then Eddie El Gato Elguera talks about his kids and how he made them "haffpipebed." Too much. My day is made! Punk kid Danny Way doing 720s and feeble grinds down rails. Love it.

"the Donger, skating San Diego with his friend. The man. John Reeves." That's somehow in the list of quotes I could make my old friends rattle off within four miliseconds, if need be.

Unfortunately, need never be's.

If I remember correctly, Kien Lieu was bummed about being nicknamed The Donger, as it was a reference to Long Duc Dong from Sixteen Candles. Although I may have made that up.

John The Man Reeves was great too. The Man is a sick nickname for someone not named Dan. It was always JohnTheManReeves, they never just said John Reeves. So good.

I love it all.

I'll add to my hack Beatles-level Landmark Vids with a Rolling Stones:

obvious but I don't want to get a fivepager and nobody's put this up.

ding ding ding diggy ding ding:

being unable to separate songs from their skate vid usage is a curse.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    this opened up a new world for me bitd....

• this video is the skateboard noastalgia video for me since its in philadelphia.

i did go back and start skating with a buddy of mine about a year ago but time constraints and real life shit didnt really afford me the time to stick with it again.

and i dig louis barletta's style a lot (largely for being able to incorporate a humor and zaniness in his actual lines/skating)

• Japanese skater Gou Miyagi.

If you haven't seen anything from this guy... prepare to have your mind blown.

Can't seem to embed... maybe I'm just slow...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    ^this guy might be good, but Richie Jackson is on a whole nother level when it comes to these unorthodox styles. Hands down one of the best I've ever seen...

• sticky_dojah said:
    ^this guy might be good, but Richie Jackson is on a whole nother level when it comes to these unorthodox styles. Hands down one of the best I've ever seen...

So sick!!

so good

here's another one from the japanese crazyman I've never seen: