Soul Boulders 2

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central

do yourselves a favor an acquire the cd. mix of the year!

Comments

• beautiful mix, guys!

• This mix makes me wanna go for a very long drive.

• Thanks, dudes!

Josh and I were pretty nervous about trying to do a follow-up. The way people loved the first one it felt like we were just guaranteed to disappoint. I'm glad we didn't sophomore slump on you!

• i couldnt figure out how to order it on mr.mathfrica's website. halp plaese
    would love to order #1 too as my copy seems to have disapeared

• Damn, Josh and I tried to make it pretty easy! (One Paypal address, prices including S&H, etc.) Is there something we can do to make it less confusing? We haven't had any other complaints but, you know, obviously we want to make it simple for folks to cop.

Regardless, T***, just PM me your address and I'll make it happen on the strength!

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    My only complaint is that I wish you guys would've let some of the songs run longer, such as the Alan Toussaint and Brenda Lee Eagers. I like the edit on the Page Three track and my personal pick is probably The Webs track, that song has blown everyones mind who i've played it for. Great mix guys.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Mongo_Slade said:
    Damn, Josh and I tried to make it pretty easy! (One Paypal address, prices including S&H, etc.) Is there something we can do to make it less confusing? We haven't had any other complaints but, you know, obviously we want to make it simple for folks to cop.

Regardless, T***, just PM me your address and I'll make it happen on the strength!

This is TL on the DL we're talking about here. dude's computer is made of wood and runs by sundial.

• come on now with that snarky bullcrap... i stepped my shit up and got myself a windup.

• haze25 said:
    My only complaint is that I wish you guys would've let some of the songs run longer, such as the Alan Toussaint and Brenda Lee Eagers. I like the edit on the Page Three track and my personal pick is probably The Webs track, that song has blown everyones mind who i've played it for. Great mix guys.

Thanks, man!

I think we wanted to make it much more than just a compilation or playlist, so we probably erred on the side of touching things up/cutting things short. All the editing did allow us to squeeze in more songs we love!

• LOVE this mix--bought it back in November but only recently got down to REALLY listening to it multiple times.

I stumbled across soulstrut.com trying to figure out what some of the songs were. I liked what I saw so much (I was hooked with the "record digging stories" thread) I decided to join.

Anyway there are lots of great songs on this mix but two I had never heard before especially grabbed my attention:

1) The Key To Love Is Understanding by The Majestics - figured this out after a litte internet research. Never would have guessed it was from '81 just by listening! Fantastic song.

2) The track with the "too much for a man to take" chorus. What is this???? I've pretty much googled every line of the lyrics and it's killing me!

I know there are many who may feel "if you have to ask you'll never know," but the reason I listen to something like Soul Boulders 2 is to be exposed to music I may have never found on my own, learning about songs and artists that may take me into uncharted listening/collecting territory.

Thanks in advance to anyone who volunteers this info!!!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Can't help you with the mix, but... Welcome to the Strut

• spirit_of_66 said:
    I stumbled across soulstrut.com trying to figure out what some of the songs were. I liked what I saw so much (I was hooked with the "record digging stories" thread) I decided to join.

That's really dope to me and is exactly the kind of thing I hoped would happen when B.Cause and I omitted a track list from Soul Boulders 2.

Back in 2002 or 2003, I first stumbled across SoulStrut when I was trying to figure out the track list information on Dante Carfagna's Chains and Black Exhaust compilation. I knew about half of the songs and googling those titles lead me to a SoulStrut thread where others were sharing information to piece it together. There was enough other cool stuff on the board that I ended up sticking around. In the process I've learned a lot and formed some real-life friendships that I really value.

Welcome!

• This is a really nice mix. Thanks fellas. Any copies of the first issue around still?

• RAJ and Mongo,

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Been listening to the SB2 during my commute almost every day this week--still enjoying the hell out of it and still searching for that song.

I also really like the "that's when you got some soul" (am I remembering that correctly?) track with the muted trumpet--great, earlier-60's sound on that one.

• I'm almost giddy...

Just figured out what the "Too Much" song is, FINALLY. I won't share it here since clearly you guys want to keep it secret, but it was eBay that came through in the end. The lyrics must not be catalogued anywhere and the words in the title/chorus of the song are way too vague to get you anywhere with google.

Great tune, definitely on my want list now.

• overflo said:
    This is a really nice mix. Thanks fellas. Any copies of the first issue around still?

Thanks!

B.Cause and I did a small repress of the original Soul Boulders last year. I still have some and I think he may, too.

• spirit_of_66 said:
    I'm almost giddy...

Just figured out what the "Too Much" song is, FINALLY. I won't share it here since clearly you guys want to keep it secret, but it was eBay that came through in the end. The lyrics must not be catalogued anywhere and the words in the title/chorus of the song are way too vague to get you anywhere with google.

Great tune, definitely on my want list now.

Nice, glad you figured that out! Both sides of that 45 are totally great.

For what it's worth, I've got no problem with people revealing song titles here or wherever. In fact, I'd be happy if that happened.

We just omitted them because sometimes it's a lot more fun to hear a piece of music and not know what it is. If the song's important to you, you end up listening to it more closely as you pick it apart for clues to what it might be. Sometimes you luck out and find it right away. Other times, the search leads you to listen to a lot of other things that are not it but that are great to discover. And if or when you finally learn what it is, it's a lot more satisfying than if someone just tells you up front. Or at least that's how it works for me.

• I finally found at least one of those songs from off that mix I been bugging about
    It's So Hard To Break the Habit by the Webs :coolsmirk:

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I'd been meaning to cop this mix for so long. Totally bittersweet getting it this way, but I'm glad long-lost strutter B.Cause made it happen.

This shit really blew my hair back this morning.

Matthew Africa & DJ B.Cause - Soul Boulders 2 by djbcause

Also, this is awesome:

Mongo_Slade said:
    For what it's worth, I've got no problem with people revealing song titles here or wherever. In fact, I'd be happy if that happened.

We just omitted them because sometimes it's a lot more fun to hear a piece of music and not know what it is. If the song's important to you, you end up listening to it more closely as you pick it apart for clues to what it might be. Sometimes you luck out and find it right away. Other times, the search leads you to listen to a lot of other things that are not it but that are great to discover. And if or when you finally learn what it is, it's a lot more satisfying than if someone just tells you up front. Or at least that's how it works for me.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    jahwise said:
    I finally found at least one of those songs from off that mix I been bugging about
    It's So Hard To Break the Habit by the Webs :coolsmirk:

Thanks!

• Wondering what the 2nd song in the intro is...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Still playing this mix all the time. LOVE IT. Does anyone know what the last song is??????

• I've played this mix at least 3 times a week since I first heard it.

I'm going crazy trying to find out the name of the anti-drugs song. The pushers gettin rich off you..

• badder_than_evil said:

I'm going crazy trying to find out the name of the anti-drugs song. The pushers gettin rich off you..
    The Prophet & His Disciples - You Fool, You Fool Pt 2

Soul Boulders 2 has been in heavy rotation since it came out last year. Easily one of my all time favorite mixes.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I miss Matthew

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Delay said:
    I miss Matthew

No doubt. A hair over a year since his passing. RIP

Man, this is one of my favorite mixes ever. Listened to it twice today back to back while on the road.

• Happy Birthday Matthew. I miss you homie.

Have fun guys.

• same month Aaron passed a year earlier. and a good record scene friend here in Philly, Rudy Rue.
    SoulBoulders foreverzzz

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    it was great celebrating his life again last night with the bay area fam

there were many great photos up reminding us of good times with him, but this one going way way back is still my favorite