Lenny Kravitz "It Ain't Over Till Its Over" yeah or nay?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
SSIA. I told this girl at work today "You know Lenny Kravitz didn't always suck that bad". She was shocked.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    That song blows huge manitee wang, but I'll definitely run some "freedom train"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I like when Lenny gets his "falsetto" on. Good song. Its the strings on that bitch.

Funny i was just in J&R Music worlds vinyl section and saw some recent album by him. Im curious to what hes doing now but i lost him around the Puffy collabos.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i got no problem with it. i belong to you is the best lenny song tho.

• I think it was kind of cool that it came out at the beginning of grunge and nothing else really sounded like it on Radio.

downtownrobbrown said:
    I think it was kind of cool that it came out at the beginning of grunge and nothing else really sounded like it on Radio.

Yeah, im trying to rack my brain to think what in 1991 was doin the Retro Soul thang which Kravitz was already well oiled in doing with Rock.

He didnt get no Black radio with that shit...IIRC. But i do recall BET love.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I ride for the entire Mama Said LP. I think it's his best stuff. I haven't liked anything he's done since.

I ride hard for 5 during the Electronica era. But i really dont want to evaluate dudes career sinceweve beaten that chicken way too many times.

It aint over might be an underappreciated monster and before its time.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Better Falsetto Soul Parody:

• I always liked his cover of "Fields of Joy"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Nay on Lenny Kravitz--period.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

• hobo_d said:
    DJ_Enki said:

Seriously. This thread is embarrassing.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    "Mr. Cab Driver" had the illest bassline at the time imo, and more than made up for the pedestrian lyrics. I liked "Elutheria" in the 90s as well, but in retrospect, it is an awful cut.

Kindly,
    parallax

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    He cheated on Lisa Bonet. That's all anyone needs to know about Lenny Kravitz.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    One of the strongest debut albums of the eighties IMO. In a time where the trend was new jack swing/rap/grunge he drops a 'retro' album with all killer no filler... if that album came out today it would still be

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Nah man....

Nah.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I don't have the hatt for Kravitz that a lot of people here do... probably because I am white and went to college in the 90s.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    i belong to you is the best lenny song tho.

First heard this on Vinroc's So Much Soul vol.2 (kills it on the mellow-play-w/-yr-girl-tip).

leon said:
    One of the strongest debut albums of the eighties IMO. In a time where the trend was new jack swing/rap/grunge he drops a 'retro' album with all killer no filler... if that album came out today it would still be

In 2012, a 60s Retro Flower Rock album wouldnt move shit.

And lets be real. New Jack Swing, R&B, House, and Hip Hop werent competing against Kravitz.
    He was marketed to the White Rock crowd(live Jimi was), despite the mixed kid Jefferson's backstory.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Dude is about 2' 3" and a douche. He has some talent but these facts, and the Bonet thing, throw hella shade on all else for me.

Feather boa, my arse.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I like it, but then again, I also kind of dig "Would I lie to you" - always saw them as partner songs.

On the other hand, I heard a fairly recent Lenny album in a gym once, that was really painful. EVERY song sounded like a cover of a classic rock song, with new terrible lyrics. Only good for playing "spot the chord progression".

Mjukis said:
    EVERY song sounded like a cover of a classic rock song, with new terrible lyrics.

The Lisa Bonet thing notwithstanding, that's the issue I've always had with him - dude has never had an original idea in his life. His repertoire reads like a rap-sheet of lame knock-offs; Lennon, Costello, Smokey, Curtis, Zeppelin, the Chilli Peppers, and so on. I mean, I know rock music is often derivative by definition, but Kravitz abuses the privilege.

DocMcCoy said:
    Mjukis said:
    EVERY song sounded like a cover of a classic rock song, with new terrible lyrics.

The Lisa Bonet thing notwithstanding, that's the issue I've always had with him - dude has never had an original idea in his life. His repertoire reads like a rap-sheet of lame knock-offs; Lennon, Costello, Smokey, Curtis, Zeppelin, the Chilli Peppers, and so on. I mean, I know rock music is often derivative by definition, but Kravitz abuses the privilege.

Why does Led Zepp get a pass for rip offs and considered a great group but Lenny isnt given the pass.

Zepp doesnt/hasnt abuse the "privilege"?

• i never listened to lenny kravitz...but those strings are classic.

no props to him though if he cheated on lisa bonet.

• batmon said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Mjukis said:

Why does Led Zepp get a pass for rip offs and considered a great group but Lenny isnt given the pass.

1 - They haven't gotten a pass, they've been slagged/sued numerous times for this.

2 - They kick Lenny's ass to the moon and back ten times over.

3 - Unlike Lenny, they also did a lot of truly original stuff and basically invented a certain sound.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Man, this site gets more wimpy by the day. PROPS to Lenny for cheating on Lisa Bonet. One, if you have a dime on your arm and it doesn't really mean that much to you...PLAYER. And two, she just woulda gone and eventually cheated on him, so way to beat her to the punch. Also, this news is like 20 years old by now...surprised anyone would even mention it nowadays.

• yeah i didnt really read the tabloids at the time. or now. my bad.

but its always good to hear your advice and thoughts on dealing with the womens

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    yeah i didnt really read the tabloids at the time. or now. my bad.

Hey, it's a fuck or be fucked kinda world we live in. GET FAMILIAR!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    tripledouble said:
    yeah i didnt really read the tabloids at the time. or now. my bad.

Hey, it's a fuck or be fucked kinda world we live in. GET FAMILIAR!

And that's where babies come from.

batmon said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Mjukis said:

I don't know that Zeppelin do get a pass. There's never been a shortage of people pointing out what they owe to Howlin' Wolf, Leadbelly, Bukka White, Willie Dixon, Bert Jansch, Memphis Minnie, Jake Holmes and so on. People used to say that shit about them all the time when I was a kid, and that was a long fucking time ago, long before the days of internet smartasses.

What they did do that Kravitz doesn't was to add a dimension of their own to those bites, even the most blatant - several dimensions, in some cases. They brought something new and original to the party in terms of their approach. I'd be interested in someone playing Zeppelin's In My Time Of Dying back-to-back with the Blind Willie Johnson song that it supposedly rips off, and pointing out exactly what it was that Zeppelin stole, never mind making a case for the extent to which the Zep song would be diminished if you took those elements away. In the case of a song like Nobody's Fault But Mine, it's a little less uncertain but even then, the Zeppelin "version" is as much an adaptation of the form as the song. As an idiom, the blues tends to follow a few well-established, simple and often traditional patterns, and of course there's a vast amount of rock music that's built upon variations and mutations of those patterns. Moreover, authorship of a lot of that shit is far from clear-cut to begin with. You can find a whole bunch of these compare-and-contrast Led Zeppelin plagiarism clips on YouTube, and some of them are really stretching it. The concept of prior art isn't limited solely to patent law.

A song like It Ain't Over Til It's Over, on the other hand, is almost wholly dependent upon a bunch of familiar stylistic devices designed to trigger a particular kind of nostalgic response; "Hey, that Lenny Kravitz song is really cool - it sounds just like a Smokey Robinson song!" This begs the question; why not listen to Smokey, then? Why waste your time listening to some hack's idea of what a Smokey Robinson song would sound like if Smokey still wanted to write the kind of songs he wrote fifteen years earlier? It's that kind of credibility-by-association bullshit that Kravitz has built his entire career upon. What Zeppelin did was, in many cases, massively unethical at the very least, but their work never stood or fell on some Wonder Years shit.