Lenny Kravitz "It Ain't Over Till Its Over" yeah or nay?

2»

Comments

• middle class white people roadtrip music.

when Lenny steps in the studio he probably tries to envision the Volkswagen commercial the track will eventually be licensed for, and then gets to work.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Middle class Audi Driving White Guy repping Lenny:

:dominoes:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    RAJ said:

The prosecution rests, your honour.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    RAJ said:

His music is derivative... so what? So many dudes on here ride for Daptone and Stonesthrow releases. You want derivative?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    RAJ said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    RAJ said:

His music is derivative... so what? So many dudes on here ride for Daptone and Stonesthrow releases. You want derivative?

Exactly. Dudes are on some justify their shit but hatt on the next man shit.

Is there some recent thread about some Sabbath sounding band? Shit dont apply then does it?

RAJ said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    RAJ said:

Well, to tell you the truth, I'm not too crazy about that shit either. But to me, there's a difference between the kind of derivative that fetishises, say, a particular way of making records or a particular ethos, and the kind of derivative that I hear on Lenny Kravitz records. I dunno, perhaps I'm overthinking it and there isn't that much of a difference at all, but putting all that time and energy into making a song sound like Led Zeppelin only not as good seems pointless to me. I feel the same way about Jamiroquai and his Leroy Hutson/Roy Ayers/Deodato/Mizell Brothers knock-offery. If everything Lenny Kravitz did sounded like that song you posted, I don't know if I'd like it any better, but I'd at least be prepared to accept that, OK, that's Lenny Kravitz's thing - the whole Zeppelin throwback schtick. But the constant hopping from one style to another just leaves me thinking he's just a musical magpie who doesn't actually have a distinctive voice of his own. He looks and sounds like he came in kit form. I've always felt like this about him. I just don't like the guy's music.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Fact: Lenny Kravitz sounds much, much less like Led Zeppelin than Sharon Jones sounds like Lyn Collins.

HarveyCanal said:
    Fact: Lenny Kravitz sounds much, much less like Led Zeppelin than Sharon Jones sounds like Lyn Collins.

Perhaps, but like I said, I'm not too wild about that stuff either. In any event, at least it's possible to say about Sharon Jones that her thing is sounding like Lyn Collins, whether that's actually true or not, and base your value judgement upon whether that kind of thing is interesting to you. Lenny Kravitz seems to be about sounding vaguely like a whole bunch of other people, but not so vague that you wouldn't notice (because I think you're meant to notice), and not to the extent that you'd choose to listen to him over that whole bunch of other people. Not me, anyway.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Whatever gets you through the day.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    RAJ said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    RAJ said:

Well, to tell you the truth, I'm not too crazy about that shit either. But to me, there's a difference between the kind of derivative that fetishises, say, a particular way of making records or a particular ethos, and the kind of derivative that I hear on Lenny Kravitz records. I dunno, perhaps I'm overthinking it and there isn't that much of a difference at all, but putting all that time and energy into making a song sound like Led Zeppelin only not as good seems pointless to me. I feel the same way about Jamiroquai and his Leroy Hutson/Roy Ayers/Deodato/Mizell Brothers knock-offery. If everything Lenny Kravitz did sounded like that song you posted, I don't know if I'd like it any better, but I'd at least be prepared to accept that, OK, that's Lenny Kravitz's thing - the whole Zeppelin throwback schtick. But the constant hopping from one style to another just leaves me thinking he's just a musical magpie who doesn't actually have a distinctive voice of his own. He looks and sounds like he came in kit form. I've always felt like this about him. I just don't like the guy's music.

I feel ya.

I find it weird that hes the lightning rod for knock-offery when its the practice was well oiled by the time he came out. And now shit is like regular.

When Zep came out was their core intial audience up on the Blues guys that they bit from? Or was it years later when critics pointed out who they were referencing?
    LK got charged with that shit from day one and played to a public that was well versed in the genres he was jacking.

Wasnt a gang of Rock in the late 80s early 90s using the 60 as a launching point.
    Eddie Brikell and that Hippie shit for example?

Blah blah blah?