ethics question about sampling/bootlegging

crazycratecrazycrate 32 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
by accident i found a beat that uses one of my original songs chopped up dilla/donuts style (no extra drums sounds, just made of the chops of the song).... of course it??s uncredited.... could i theoretically release that beat stated as remix paired with the og song without contacting the artist/label? like re-bootlegging.....

please let me know your thoughts...

thanks,

cc

Comments

• subsub 311 Posts
    legally: i don't think so..
    morally: hell yeah..

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    crazycrate said:
    while googling myself i found a beat that uses one of my original songs chopped up...

• sub said:
    legally: i don't think so..
    morally: hell yeah..

+1

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    crazycrate said:
    by accident i found a beat that uses one of my original songs chopped up dilla/donuts style (no extra drums sounds, just made of the chops of the song).... of course it??s uncredited.... could i theoretically release that beat stated as remix paired with the og song without contacting the artist/label? like re-bootlegging.....

The mischief maker in me says HELLS YES. Do that shit for the fun of it. And anyone who says different can speak your piece. I dare you to make an argument that is in any way compelling.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    yeah, u gotta do this.

• only if you press vinyls of it

• highscheme said:
    only if you press vinyls of it

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Unless the person you're sampling from is a baller and can afford an attorney, sample with impunity. IMHO. That's a legal opinion, FYI.

• Did Numero pay Shoes for Eccentric Breaks & Beats?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    crazycrate said:

The mischief maker in me says HELLS YES. Do that shit for the fun of it. And anyone who says different can speak your piece. I dare you to make an argument that is in any way compelling.
    ^^Suborning pre-meditated criminal bootlegging.

• Reynaldo said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    crazycrate said:

^^Suborning pre-meditated criminal bootlegging.

It's cool as long as he's using violence.

• thanks for all the opinions.....

@kinetic: how can you find an uncredited sample use by googling yourself?

ok, meanwhile the moral aspect cleared up and i??d definitely would press it up on vinyl and even sell it digitally as they did the same thing..... the question now is, what would be the legal outcome of this, in case there would be any legal action?

can you be really sued over releasing something that contains an uncleared sample of yourself

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    crazycrate said:
    thanks for all the opinions.....
    the question now is, what would be the legal outcome of this, in case there would be any legal action?

The lawyers will get rich the artists will get screwed.