Major Labels Ending All CD Production End of 2012?

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
I've read several reports that all major labels have decided that by years end of 2012 they will no longer be making CD's. Have not found an official statement, but the rumor is flying and I heard it reported on a news story today while driving into work, anyone know if this is true? Is this the deathnail to the record store?

http://allhiphop.com/2011/11/07/2012-the-end-of-the-cd-era/

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    Is this the deathnail to the FYE?

• This seems remarkably stupid if true. What a needless way to alienate the few remaining customers that actually pay full price for physical product. The record industry is nothing if not penny-wise and pound-foolish, but I'll believe it when it actually happens. 2012 cars and computers are still being made with CD drives/players. I expect that the record labels will continue to produce CDs for them.

• Also, to the lede of that article, the CD era is already over.

When would we mark the end of the tape era? I used to drive a '99 with a tape deck, factory installed. I have a sealed cassette of "Get Rich Or Die Tryin'" (2003) somewhere around here. But I'd say the tape era ended before both of those things (the car, and the 50 Cent tape) were manufactured.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Sure I heard/read that 'tape cassette' has been removed from the latest Oxford English dictionary. Which annoys the fusk out of me, because I expect the people that compile that thing use plenty of words that nobody else does, and even if they're not still being sold - they exist! What are we supposed to refer to them as?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Yes. When the music industry loses the customers that still buy cds* they will blame it on what ever new trend is "destroying" the music industry.

Will they sell the rights to down loads to mom and pop record stores?
    Why can't Good Records sell legit down loads of the latest releases in the store and on the web for a tiny profit?

*Both of them.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    This seems remarkably stupid if true. What a needless way to alienate the few remaining customers that actually pay full price for physical product.

• I would file this next to the 'auto companies ceasing production of convertibles' rumor.

b/w

Giving somebody a download for Xmas isn't going to cut it just yet.

• Duderonomy said:
    Sure I heard/read that 'tape cassette' has been removed from the latest Oxford English dictionary.

Really gonna need a citation on that one. Sounds like urban myth. If 'codpiece' is still in the dictionary, cassette still is. Plus 'cassette' refers to more than just a cassette tape.

• would have been nice to have some links to said "news stories".
    As it stands, article is only an opinion piece with nothing to substantiate it's claims..

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    Still no proof that this will happen, just rumours.

CD-format to be abandoned by major labels by the end of 2012

You read it well. The major labels plan to abandon the CD-format by the end of 2012 (or even earlier) and replace it with download/stream only releases via iTunes and related music services. The only CD-formats that will be left over will be the limited edition ones, which will of course not be available for every artist. The distribution model for these remaining CD releases would be primarily Amazon which is already the biggest CD retailer worldwide anyhow.

3 weeks ago we heard it for the first time and since then we have tried getting some feedback from EMI, Universal and Sony. All declined to comment.

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=46980_0_2_0_C

• This is patently false. On many acts physical sales still account for 75% of total sales. On some physical sales are 90%.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    "Update: We were approached by several people working with major labels, who indeed re-confirm that plans do exist to give up the CD. We keep on trying to get an official confirmation, but it seems that the matter is very controversial, especially after Side-Line brought out the story."

I don't doubt this plan down the line. I could see why labels would do it and the reasons behind it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    drbrownscelray said:
    This is patently false. On many acts physical sales still account for 75% of total sales. On some physical sales are 90%.

Similar situation when lps and cassettes were discontinued.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    frenzie said:
    would have been nice to have some links to said "news stories".
    As it stands, article is only an opinion piece with nothing to substantiate it's claims..

More an opinion piece but it cites why the idea is out there

"a much-discussed article last month in Side Line magazine suggested that 2012 might be the last year that CDs are even pressed

http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/killed+compact+disc/5697748/story.html

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    "hey, have you guys heard, Cds are BACK !!!"

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    frenzie said:
    would have been nice to have some links to said "news stories".

More an opinion piece but it cites why the idea is out there

"a much-discussed article last month in Side Line magazine suggested that 2012 might be the last year that CDs are even pressed

http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/killed+compact+disc/5697748/story.html

I think they are going on the assumption that the world is ending in 2012, so definitely no more CDs.

• I can't see it happening. Indie artists will continue to put out CD's & majors will want to compete in the marketplace. Also, majors still press vinyl so why would they stop manufacturing CD's.