Graveyard

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
not often am i floored by a new band. these guys are like a mix of Sabbath, Zeppelin and some Black Keys. they rip it. heavy breakface!!!! dudes are from Sweden. give it a listen. first album i bought on iTunes in a long time!!

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    they pretty much ARE Sabbath on stage too which is a plus for me haha

• behemoth said:

thats a bit of a stretch...

they are alright, but I am still not sold on them.

• If you dig Graveyard, you might dig these dudes too:

http://www.reverbnation.com/9chambers

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    behemoth said:

lol ... I can't force you to like something but how anybody into this type of music can't dig the new Graveyard LP is beyond me. Been rocking this album and playing it on the radio all year long without letting up ... nearly did a backflip when they announced the US tour last week - any Boston area strutteurs hitting the show at the ME on 1/13 should holler at me ... especially since I am being told I will be drinking backstage :D

• I said they are alright, but some other folks who have told me about them have this "second coming" fervor about them (like Ghost a few months ago). They are good but the singing has this white boy blues vibe that I don't dig. It takes me a minute to let go of that hang up, but singing style is something I can eventually work past but definitely something that knocks a band down a few pegs for me. I will probably play a song or two on my radio show though.

SoulOnIce said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    behemoth said:

lol ... I can't force you to like something but how anybody into this type of music can't dig the new Graveyard LP is beyond me. Been rocking this album and playing it on the radio all year long without letting up ... nearly did a backflip when they announced the US tour last week - any Boston area strutteurs hitting the show at the ME on 1/13 should holler at me ... especially since I am being told I will be drinking backstage :D

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    cool schitt, heavy sound on the sabbath.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    They are good but the singing has this white boy blues vibe that I don't dig.

That was my problem - too much mullet in the vocals.

Weird, I think the vocals are the best thing about them, and what sets them apart from the 5,753 other bands playing this sound. I can also see where if you weren't into him it would make it hard to dig the album, but I get so used to sub-par vocalists fronting doom/retro-rock bands - its nice to hear someone who can really belt it out. Not getting the "mullet" comment, tho. Mullet to me says 90s butt rock ... ?

• SoulOnIce said:
    Mullet to me says 90s butt rock ... ?

90's?

Mullets were firmly in place by the early 70's:

I'm liking Graveyard more after a few listens. If that song title is a dis at Randy Holden, though, I might have to retract that.

• had never heard this band before for but the youtube videos are pretty great.
    Thanks for the heads up

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    Weird, I think the vocals are the best thing about them, and what sets them apart from the 5,753 other bands playing this sound.

I agree, I like the vocals, sounds like dude from the cold war kids though, in a good way.
    wait, wtf, no it doesn't,

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Two Thumbs Up

• Vocalist sounds like the Leaf Hound dude to me.

I dig Graveyard.

The_Hook_Up said:
    they are alright, but some other folks who have told me about them have this "second coming" fervor about them (like Ghost a few months ago)

yeah, I definitely bought into the Ghost hype, and was really turned off when I saw them live in May. Haven't really checked the album since. That happens to me with bands a lot though, I either lose or gain interest after seeing them live. I still think the album is decent, but it burns off fast like a candy bar.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    sakedelic said:
    Vocalist sounds like the Leaf Hound dude to me.

I dig Graveyard.

I'm hearing serious Chris Cornell vibes. But yeah. Graveyard is awesome.

• sakedelic said:

I dig Graveyard.

I dont hear a resemblence...Graveyard dude's phrasing is actually really close to Janis, which is probably why I don't like it. More Black Crowes than Black Sabbath (in the vocal department) to me.

• I hear dude's accent which as an American is a bit annoying.
    U.S.A.

They still sound good to me though, these ears dont run.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    sakedelic said:

I dig Graveyard.

Cosign. Serious Cornell/Plant influence when he goes for the gusto on the vocals, but it fits the music. Digging this a lot, thanks for the introduction.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    asstro said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    sakedelic said:

I dig Graveyard.

Cosign. Serious Cornell/Plant influence when he goes for the gusto on the vocals, but it fits the music. Digging this a lot, thanks for the introduction.

Ditto, thanks for posting this stuff. I'm now planning on going to see Graveyard in Richmond in January.

• Thanks for sharing this! Gonna cop the album on itunes. I need some new music like this in my life!

saw Graveyard live Friday night, they pretty much killed it. vocalist doesn't go as "all out" on some of the songs as he does on the albums, but still sounds great and the band play their asses off. they sold out a 700 person club in Boston and the weird mix of metalheads, frat boys and pitchforkers were singing along to every word!

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    saw Graveyard live Friday night, they pretty much killed it. vocalist doesn't go as "all out" on some of the songs as he does on the albums, but still sounds great and the band play their asses off. they sold out a 700 person club in Boston and the weird mix of metalheads, frat boys and pitchforkers were singing along to every word!

I went from hearing Graveyard on WFMU last month, to checking out the whole record on Spotify, to catching their show at the Bowery Ballroom Thursday night. There was a full house there as well, killer band, best hard rock album I've heard in a very long time.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    pkny said:
    SoulOnIce said:

I went from hearing Graveyard on WFMU last month, to checking out the whole record on Spotify, to catching their show at the Bowery Ballroom Thursday night. There was a full house there as well, killer band, best hard rock album I've heard in a very long time.

I'm gonna try to catch them in Richmond tomorrow, anyone else going?

Did they sell any records at the show, by the way?

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    pkny said:
    SoulOnIce said:

I'm gonna try to catch them in Richmond tomorrow, anyone else going?

Did they sell any records at the show, by the way?

I only took a quick look at the merch table at the Bowery Ballroom, didn't see any vinyl from Graveyard folks.

no records, and although they had like 8 different t-shirts all with awesome art, when I went to buy one I was told all they had left was small in all but one of the designs ... on the second night of tour ... ?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Interesting vocalist, solid guitar playing, fun drummer. What more could you ask for? Thanks for putting me on.. I don't think they're fun or heavy enough for the Sabbath comparisons though. Of all the sabbath influenced bands.. You rarely get that fun songwriting like on Paranoid. Orange Sunshine comes close, but the vocals are way different. You could write a whole book on Sabbath influenced bands.. In fact Julian Cope should write it.

- spidey

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I wore the fuck out of this CD in my car. What else like this am I missing that is true throughout the whole album?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Graveyard sounds more like Deep Purple or Free to me than they do Black Sabbath.

Burns said:
    I wore the fuck out of this CD in my car. What else like this am I missing that is true throughout the whole album?

The band Witchcraft is from the same scene in Sweden as Graveyard and have a few albums - all are good but I especially recommend "Firewood"

More recently, check out California band Green & Wood, their debut album was a good slice of lo-fi doom metal/hard rock and they have a new one out that I haven't heard yet but have high hopes for. UK band Orange Goblin just put out a new LP that's a really solid riff-fest and recommended.

Finally, for those looking for something new more on the Sabbath side of things, check out the recent album from Vestal Claret, "Bloodbath"

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    Burns said:

The band Witchcraft is from the same scene in Sweden as Graveyard and have a few albums - all are good but I especially recommend "Firewood"

More recently, check out California band Green & Wood, their debut album was a good slice of lo-fi doom metal/hard rock and they have a new one out that I haven't heard yet but have high hopes for. UK band Orange Goblin just put out a new LP that's a really solid riff-fest and recommended.

Finally, for those looking for something new more on the Sabbath side of things, check out the recent album from Vestal Claret, "Bloodbath"

Yes!!! Thanks.

This one I like a lot by Count Raven
    **** 1/2 for album art.
    This is not being discussed on waxidermy.