Academic articles on "rave" or "dance" culture?

dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
I was wondering if anyone here is aware of any notable or reputable articles that discuss rave or dance culture.
Specifically, I'm writing a short paper on ketamine for a class, and I would like to make note of the popularity of the drug among certain subsets of the culture.

Anyone got anything that might fit the bill here?

Thanks.

Comments

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=rave+ketamine&hl=en&btnG=Search&as_sdt=1,5&as_sdtp=on

There are a ton of scientific articles on the topic. As a student, you should be able to access the full articles through your university/college library, or sites like JSTOR with your university log-in information. I've got journal articles coming out of my ears for my own econ thesis.

PS Just noticed your location. Don't know if journal access works differently in Canada.

Double.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Brian Wilson-The Canadian Rave Scene and Five Theses on Youth Resistance, Canadian Journal of Sociology, Summer 2002, 373-412

Targeting Ecstasy Use at Raves quick view
    Michael H. Dore
    Virginia Law Review, Vol. 88, No. 7 (Nov., 2002), pp. 1583-1623

Musiques et f??tes techno: l'exception franco-britannique des free parties quick view
    Laurent Tessier
    Revue fran??aise de sociologie, Vol. 44, No. 1, Sc??nes et musiques (Jan. - Mar., 2003), pp. 63-91

Drug Use and Risk Behaviour among Regular Ecstasy Users: Does Sexuality Make a Difference? quick view
    Louisa Degenhardt
    Culture, Health & Sexuality, Vol. 7, No. 6 (Nov. - Dec., 2005), pp. 599-614

Ecstasy And Neurodegeneration quick view
    John Merrill, Nicholas Saunders, Adam R. Winstock, Leslie A. King, David Shewan, Phil Dalgarno, Ian M. Stell, John M. Ryan
    BMJ: British Medical Journal, Vol. 313, No. 7054 (Aug. 17, 1996), pp. 423-424

Sexual Behaviour of Ecstasy Users in Sydney, Australia quick view
    Libby Topp, Julie Hando, Paul Dillon
    Culture, Health & Sexuality, Vol. 1, No. 2 (Apr. - Jun., 1999), pp. 147-159

Crystal Methamphetamine and Sexual Sociality in an Urban Gay Subculture: An Elective Affinity quick view
    Adam Isaiah Green, Perry N. Halkitis
    Culture, Health & Sexuality, Vol. 8, No. 4 (Jul. - Aug., 2006), pp. 317-333

Altered States of Consciousness quick view
    SUSAN GREENFIELD
    Social Research, Vol. 68, No. 3, Altered States of Consciousness (FALL 2001), pp. 609-626

• It'd be worth asking over at the djhistory forum too.

• double post

• theres one in the popular culture reader

• I just did a quick pubmed search with the terms "ketamine" and "rave"
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term= ketamine rave

Some are off topic, but looks like a handful of good articles...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    You should probably contact this lady. She was writing about dance culture when the notion that there even was such a thing was in its infancy, and has published several papers on the subject. She was also a regular face on the dancefloor at the Ha??ienda BITD, and was in the Factory Records proto-house outfit Quando Quango alongside her then-husband and resident Ha??ienda DJ Mike Pickering. Some more of her work;

• Paper finished!

Thanks for the help, everyone.