New Music / Release Thread

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Great new old school dance music.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    This was pleasingly pleasant. Did anyone pick up the 12"?

Okem said:

Missed out on the 12" but after having now heard it can't say I'm too gutted. I think pleasingly pleasant is a pretty apt description in that it's nice enough but not really blowing me away. Perhaps it rewards further listens though?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Junior said:
    Okem said:
    This was pleasingly pleasant.

??30 new. ??180 on ebay. Not that pleasant at all.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Those individually numbered, hand-screened covers don't pay for themselves.

I like it. I wouldn't necessarily cough up ??30 for it, but I might pay ??8/??9 for a garden-variety version. Artists lose enough on music as it is - I can't get mad at them charging a premium for a well-packaged and instantly collectable object. The customer is under no obligation to buy it, any more than the artist is obliged to sell it at a huge loss.

I think the first Four Tet/Burial collab is the one. I would have paid more for it than the price of a standard single. I guess Thom Yorke missed out and commissioned the guys to make another, but that one's not as good imho. This latest jobby hasn't done much for me either.
    Hype has risen while content has fallen? Story of Dubstep post 2009?

Speaking of "dubstep post 2009", the debut album by Kuedo (a/k/a Jamie Vex'd) is tremendous, although I should point out it's not even remotely dubsteppy.

DocMcCoy said:
    Speaking of "dubstep post 2009", the debut album by Kuedo (a/k/a Jamie Vex'd) is tremendous, although I should point out it's not even remotely dubsteppy.

Yeah been looking forward to this and should be having a listen through of it today/tomorrow.

Duder, regarding your Hype > content point, I definitely think we're now at that inevitable stage of any british dance music genre where the eagerness to find the next big thing/applaud the recognised stars overshadows releases. I guess it depends on whether you're interested in classifying where dubstep starts and ends though as, using the broader definition of the genre that you get on something like the Hyperdub compilation, there's definitely been a fair amount of decent stuff out this year and it also seems to be making the transition to longplayer format better than most hyped sounds of the moment that have come and gone over the last twenty years.

Junior said:
    I guess it depends on whether you're interested in classifying where dubstep starts and ends though

No, not really.
    There have been much worthier releases that should've been getting cool packaging and making massive ebay re-sale value to me, that's all. Will be checking the new Martyn and Keudo releases.

Also, I feel dirty and wrong when I use the 'd' word now. When's the next thing happening?

• i guess "dubstep the genre" is long gone now, skrillex killed that. you have a few guys left that play something of the traditional variety (djs like NType for example) but overwhelmingly the trend is for dubby, experimental tracks that utitlise more of a house template that a 130 dubstep one.

pearson sound aka ramadanman always seems to get it right at that tempo though, his new stuff is all storming, and have a listen to his chicago flavour release under alias maurice donovan

i like the Mosca "BAX / Done Me Wrong", that's old school garage though. biggest bassline in the game right now. his new techno 12 is great too (wavey ep)

new floating points is amazing, perhaps the best yet, but not finished yet i think, heard it the other day (pearson played it). You can pick up the danger 7" tho, thats a lovely slice of analog techno with 2 locked grooves on the flip.

kuedo is really great too.

oh and if you love that sort of cartoonish, mohawke chaos the rustie lp is ace from start to finish.

i'm just listening to old basic channel shit at the moment, and maurizio stuff. who needs dubstep when you've got dubtechno.

Oddly enough, I found myself thinking that Massive Attack/Burial tune sounded a bit like Basic Channel/R&S with Hope Sandoval on vocals instead of Tikiman or Paul St. Hilaire when I first heard it.

• i think burial definitely took a look of inspiration from that lovely hissy noise in the back of rhythm and sound records, if anything he took the same ideas into the world of UKG. not trying to imply that he's anything other than a genius tho, his sonic signature is incredible. you can tell his drums within half a second of hearing them. and those metal gear solid samples.. anyway. i'd be more hyped about the four walls 12" if i thought there was any chance of ever owning it. shit straight evaporated yo.

I got pretty obsessive about that BC/R&S/Maurizio/Chain Reaction axis myself for a while in the mid-90s. Luckily the vinyl has stayed in print because I lent a few original pressings to people and never saw them again. The early BC tunes are great night bus music.

A reggae DJ I know over here tells me that people literally come from all over the world to get their dubs cut at Hard Wax's mastering studio.

• i get my mastering done there actually, dubplates and mastering studios. maurizio mentioned once in an interview that he often checks out what they've got coming through the boards there, particularly any basic channel copyists, so its interesting to imagine that he might have checked out your stuff without you ever knowing it i feel like ive been waiting to listen to their music properly my whole life, i only bought radiance and the phylps track 12" at the time, but finally been filling in the blanks. some of the best stuff ever made i think.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Junior said:
    I think pleasingly pleasant is a pretty apt description in that it's nice enough but not really blowing me away. Perhaps it rewards further listens though?
    You have to kinda fear a Massive Attack vs Burial release is going to be all hype and tepid product. Too many acts passed their best work hope getting the hip young producer to give them a remix will reinvigorate their sound. But it just ends up with a weak version of both acts.
    But I think Burial did a good job, IMO you get a strong flavour of both acts, which is hard to accomplish. It reminds me of Massive Attack vs Mad Professor, that I played to death in my teens, I guess it helps that they all have a common music 'ancestry'.

I played it several times on repeat when it came out on utube, but I definitely have a soft spot for 'this kind of thing'.

• I really liked that Massive Attack x Burial song. Its an enjoyable listen.

Okem said:
    Junior said:
    I think pleasingly pleasant is a pretty apt description in that it's nice enough but not really blowing me away. Perhaps it rewards further listens though?
    You have to kinda fear a Massive Attack vs Burial release is going to be all hype and tepid product. Too many acts passed their best work hope getting the hip young producer to give them a remix will reinvigorate their sound. But it just ends up with a weak version of both acts.
    But I think Burial did a good job, IMO you get a strong flavour of both acts, which is hard to accomplish. It reminds me of Massive Attack vs Mad Professor, that I played to death in my teens, I guess it helps that they all have a common music 'ancestry'.

I played it several times on repeat when it came out on utube, but I definitely have a soft spot for 'this kind of thing'.

Yeah I certainly don't think it's bad it's just a bit, for want of a better word, underwhelming. It sounds exactly like I would expect Burial remixing Massive Attack to sound like.
    It doesn't really help that my first point of reference for an Massive Attack remixes is the Mad Professor work as well which I also played to death in my teens and which also reworked source material that was itself disappointing at the time.

Night bus music: I love this Moritz remix. Been repressed recently so should be about.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    it's fascinating stuff isn't it, he's gonna be debated for years to come. all of that arsehole behaviour, which is totally well documented - in case you didn't know, ripping kids off by telling them to send him cash and he'd send them wavs (lol) that he never delivered,

http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23959

Still love his music though.

b/w

Wonder why this version didn't get pressed on the single?

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    i guess "dubstep the genre" is long gone now, skrillex killed that. you have a few guys left that play something of the traditional variety (djs like NType for example) but overwhelmingly the trend is for dubby, experimental tracks that utitlise more of a house template that a 130 dubstep one.

pearson sound aka ramadanman always seems to get it right at that tempo though, his new stuff is all storming, and have a listen to his chicago flavour release under alias maurice donovan

i like the Mosca "BAX / Done Me Wrong", that's old school garage though. biggest bassline in the game right now. his new techno 12 is great too (wavey ep)

new floating points is amazing, perhaps the best yet, but not finished yet i think, heard it the other day (pearson played it). You can pick up the danger 7" tho, thats a lovely slice of analog techno with 2 locked grooves on the flip.

kuedo is really great too.

oh and if you love that sort of cartoonish, mohawke chaos the rustie lp is ace from start to finish.

i'm just listening to old basic channel shit at the moment, and maurizio stuff. who needs dubstep when you've got dubtechno.

this poast is where i'm at. I'll just bump a few related youtubes in support:

also I need to tip my hat to some nu-balearica synth wave whatever shit. Its nice though. Summer is near in my part of the world.

Other non electro bits and bobs I'm currently feeling. Funny how Oldham always seems to to time his releases perfectly to accompany the cold weather and dark evenings that seem made for his sound.

Anyone bought a copy of this?

Loved the soundclips, but the copy I got in the post is either warped or pressed slightly off-centre. Is there any point in asking Fatcity for a refund? Has anybody got a copy that isn't wonky?

New Zomby!

Duderonomy said:

New Zomby!

Nothing new on offer really in this track but predictably I absolutely love it. Pretty much ticks every box in my nostalgia list (all it really needed was a breakdown half way through with an eighties sci fi film sample over synths and it would be complete).

DocMcCoy said:

Finally got round to listening to this and it is indeed very good though not what I expected. Only heard it through once but love the use of Scarface synths on Truth Flood and what I think was the chorus melody of Why on Scissors.

Junior said:

Nothing new on offer really in this track but predictably I absolutely love it. Pretty much ticks every box in my nostalgia list (all it really needed was a breakdown half way through with an eighties sci fi film sample over synths and it would be complete).

Co-sizzle, I'll kop on sight. I was half expecting to hear some MC and whistles going off.

Did this ever get a physical release?
    (there's a link to a 320 DL on the youtoob page)

Feck, I feel like I'm spamming this thread, but there's so much new stuff a'gwan. Check zee remix:

Daphni - Ahora by amazingsoundsrecords

Okem said:

I'm still not sure about this. Re-listened and my second impression is f*ck, this is boring. Internet rumour chat has it that Burial has remixed an entire LP's worth, but the rest was such wank that this was the only thing they figured they could sell, hence the packaging and ridiculous price. Internet rumours though.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I don't know if I got like oldman-itis but I can't bring myself to casually listen to anything too too post-dub-electronic-blippy music... No offense fellas... that's not what me and my friends are listening too. Not tryna break up the cypher here fellas definitely some good music talk in this thread.

Here's some shit I'm feeling that I found out about when I was in Sao Paulo a few months ago:

B??rbara Eug??nia - Drop the bombs

This girl Barbara is very interesting... she's making very decent 60's inspired music, but with a new feel to it. I love this track.. I'm also really feeling her remake of Dor e Dor with Tom Ze.. really fresh.

Gui Amabis e C??u - Swell

Some of yall might already know Ceu, but Gui Amabis production is really stands out.. He's definitely turning out some very interesting music..

Tulipa Ruiz - S?? Sei Dan??ar Com Voc??

Last but not least my homie Juka turned me onto this girl Tulipa... very good songwriting. This track also features a cooled out Criolo.

Ah.. shit.. definitely gotta throw some Criolo on my list.

Criolo - N??o Existe Amor em SP

Criolo is to me shining as the MVP of the Sao Paulo scene in my opinion. He's singing over jazz, sambas, dub music, afrobeat music, and also rapping.. Criolos a bad motherfucker.. He's a decent rapper, and also I was really impressed with his singing.. also his band kills it.. they range from some very beat heavy stuff.. to samba to afrobeat.. pretty fluidly.

I also found out a few new to me old artists to put into this new Brazilian mix I've been working on.. I'll post it on SS when I'm done..

- spidey

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Anyone bought a copy of this?

Loved the soundclips, but the copy I got in the post is either warped or pressed slightly off-centre. Is there any point in asking Fatcity for a refund? Has anybody got a copy that isn't wonky?

That is a great release, I still havent ordered mine yet but I can find out if there is a pressing fault if you like