...all in all, how do YOU feel about F.O.O.D.?

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    lots of bean sprouts, green onions, cilantro and most importantly tripe and beef tendon.

also leave the flank beef raer, don't dunk it in too much or else it gets rubbery and grey. Not a good look....

ps: forgot......a squeeze of fresh lime goes a long way.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i'm a big vietnamese coldcut sandwhich fan myself... pate and all...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I also like the raw pickles they keep in those jars. Carry that shit around in a plastic bag.

Ah yes, the ever-popular "dillbag"

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    hey, whatchall know about shanghaiese food? i had the most deliciousest fry bread with soy milk. plus them dumplings in red vinegar is like my all time favorite dumplings. all filled with ginger and pork and shit. umm umm. oh, and the noodles! them flat disc noodles. so good with the proper wok burn.

Word. In Seattle it's "Shanghai Garden" restaurant, right accross the street from the crib. The house special barleygreen hand shaven noodles are on point!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    hey, whatchall know about shanghaiese food? i had the most deliciousest fry bread with soy milk. plus them dumplings in red vinegar is like my all time favorite dumplings. all filled with ginger and pork and shit. umm umm. oh, and the noodles! them flat disc noodles. so good with the proper wok burn.

my dad was heavy into it so I ate it a lot as a kid. Wor teep, chung yau beng, dao cheung...

goodness

I have a strong urge for chanko nabe right now.....

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

What it do on a PhoShizzle graemlin?

SG

• why does every food discussion turn into a pho discussion? shig i know you like pho but could we talk about some pizza, pasta, falafel, indian, ethiopian up in here?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    yo! I love me some Pesto sauce, but that shit always makes me burp pesto for the rest of the night, am I crazy? TMI? sorry. does this happen to other people?

mos def. all night long and part of the following day.

try any standard pesto recipe and substitute walnuts for pinenuts.

um-um good.

• Pho Ga is the BEST thing for lunch when you have a cold!

.... or a hangover.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

DOPE!!!! Can you get chanko nabe in Toronto?

• I also like the raw pickles they keep in those jars. Carry that shit around in a plastic bag.

Ah yes, the ever-popular "dillbag"

seriously ,anyone know any good spots in SF/Peninsula for a Vietnameese sandwhich? I only know this one spot right off of Geary.

• why does every food discussion turn into a pho discussion? shig i know you like pho but could we talk about some pizza, pasta, falafel, indian, ethiopian up in here?

you are so not an "art-nip".

well, my friend, i really loves me some middle eastern food. mostly the fresh salads. the parsley joints and the cucumber salad with fresh olives and feta. i mean, it's custom made for this LA weather. in fact, i think i was reading [ /] somewhere that LA's climate most resembles the mediterranean countries which is reflected in the early angelino architecture. no? hence all the roses and palm trees and such.

in any case, i love that spot marouch on like sunset and berendo [?] they got the tasty quail and their hummus rivals zankou. alright, its better than zankou's but i seriously think zankou's hummus is top notch. but yeah, for me, the salads are a perfect compliment to the spiced and salted meditteranean meats. but i know that's not your bag.

ps
    i miss the oakland fish and chip joints something fierce. deepfried cornbreaded catfish with mac n cheese, greens, and 2 slices of white bread. extra hot sauce plaese. oh, man this one place near my old spot had that shit perfected to where the outside was golden brown and the fish was all buttery and sheeeiit.

• When Trully Med closed its Haigh Street location it was very sad day. The spot down the street from Groove Merchant is pretty good and hooks it up large on the portion.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Fuck all the bullshit. My parents live in the heart of Puxi (the older half of Shanghai), right off of Nanjing Lu and the two times I've gone out to visit and eat-eat-eat, shit has been

OFF
    THE
    HOOK.

Seriously, coming back home to S.F. - not exactly sucka-city when it comes to Chinese food presumably - me and wifey couldn't hang for months. We just had no interest trying to eat Chinese out here because we knew it wouldn't remotely come close.

I love Shanghainese cuisine and it's a pity that it's pretty hard to find out here in SF (you gotta go to San Mateo. Or L.A.) I wrote the following for a travelogue that I put together after my first trip to Shanghai:

Shanghai cuisine is distinctly different from the Chinese food most Americans are used to. U.S. Chinese eateries tend to be dominated by Cantonese cuisine, followed by Szechuan and Hunan. Oddly, Shanghai has never been particularly big in the States with the exception of those small steamed dumplings that have become a ubiquitous staple in many Chinese restaurants regardless of region. The main difference with Shanghai food is that it's very oily. Even the soups are coated with a layer of oil and this can be a little off-putting to those trying to cut down on their oil and fat intake. At the same time though, one thing you notice about Chinese in Shanghai - there's almost no visibly overweight people...that's not to say they're necessarily healthier than Americans, but they also consume less butter and sugar despite the increased use of oil. After a while, you sort of just roll with the fact that Shanghai cuisine tends to be oily and salty because, well, oily and salty tastes good

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

um-um good.

Also use almonds and pecorino (instead of parmesan) for a different take...

O - you didn't use any parmesan in yours?

• I love Shanghainese cuisine and it's a pity that it's pretty hard to find out here in SF (you gotta go to San Mateo. Or L.A.)

plaese to give up San Mateo secret Shanghai squirels.

um-um good.

Also use almonds and pecorino (instead of parmasan) for a different take...

O - you didn't use any parmasan in yours?

I did - forgot to list it. 1/4 cup full.

I have to say, the freshness of the basil makes a huge difference, I never realized how much. I've made pesto before - using a far more elaborate recipe (blanche the garlic, fold in the parm after processing the basil, etc.) - and it never turned out as good as this.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    yo! I love me some Pesto sauce, but that shit always makes me burp pesto for the rest of the night, am I crazy? TMI? sorry. does this happen to other people?

mos def.

Pho is heinously overrated. As is Mos Def.

I love Shanghainese cuisine and it's a pity that it's pretty hard to find out here in SF (you gotta go to San Mateo. Or L.A.)

plaese to give up San Mateo secret Shanghai squirels.

I'm just assuming actually. I don't really know. It's just that San Mateo (and Cupertino) is where all the Mandarin speakers move and while a lot of them are from Taiwan (Taiwanese cuisine = mad "eh"), there's bound to be some Shanghainese in the mix.

There is that Shanghai Dumpling Shop in the Richmond - not far from where Jinx lives actually. They're not bad...probably the best Shanghai food i've seen around the city but that's not saying much, you know?

What I really miss from Shanghai was this little hole-in-the-wall stand that sold black sesame balls in soup. I've had 'em here - usually out of the freezer section - but these were freshly made and boiled. Absolutely incredible - sweet and rich, almost like chocolate. It's not there anymore though.

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    Just saying - me and the wife started getting organic produce boxes through Eat Well Frams (http://eatwell.com). This past week's came with fresh basil - like 1-2 days out of the dirt fresh. Made a simple pesto with it:

2 cups of packed basil
    1 garlic clove
    1/2 cup of roasted pine nuts
    6 TB of olive oil

Poured it over some pasta.

That sounds hot. Probably have to try that then throw a few gangster extra ingredients and ruin it

And on the dill tip yall just sparked this memory of these 'hot dills' they had King's Island (popular waterpark back in northside Indianapolis back in the day), they were flavored and shit. Salsafied, sour cream & onion, who knows. They looked gross but made you curious. They were fuckin called 'hot dills'. Like who buys a huge fuckin flavored pickle at a waterpark. My boy Erock copped one, took a bite, got shook and threw it into the pool in which the three big waterslides emptied into. Very similar scene to the baby ruth caddyshack shit. Lifeguard even jumped into the pool and came out like 'its just a pickle' and snapped it in half, it was all still crisp and shit. We got in school suspension for that dumb shit.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

PHO RULEZ
    WHERE IS DJ PHO777?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

I have to say, the freshness of the basil makes a huge difference, I never realized how much. I've made pesto before - using a far more elaborate recipe (blanche the garlic, fold in the parm after processing the basil, etc.) - and it never turned out as good as this.

O -

Usually go to the farmers' market in town twice a week to stock up - concur w/ need for fresh produce to enliven flavors...

Thread looks like a bunch of Singaporeans goin' back and forth about their favorite foodstuffs (those folls are NUTS about food - I guess it's their release in a pretty regulated state)... When I was last there this past November, headed to a Malaysian restaurant and had curried fish w/ peppered peanuts and then to one of 'em open air food malls to down some laksa... Tryin' to get back to Malaysia proper next year, visit some relatives, and get some grub on: boastin' Malaysian, Chinese, Indian (usually Tamil - came across some curry dishes in Kerala/Tamil Nadu that strongly resembled the coconut milk quotient found in Malaysia/Singapore - culinary anthropology/sociology aside) flavors...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

mos def.

i see you phill

My cousins live out in Panang, Malaysia. I haven't been over there since 1991 but goddamn, street food there kicked ass. As you point out, that whole region is at culinary/cultural crossroads so there are Thai, Chinese, Indian, etc. influences running through Malaysian and Singaporean cuisine.

O -

Usually go to the farmers' market in town twice a week to stock up - concur w/ need for fresh produce to enliven flavors...

Thread looks like a bunch of Singaporeans goin' back and forth about their favorite foodstuffs (those folls are NUTS about food - I guess it's their release in a pretty regulated state)... When I was last there this past November, headed to a Malaysian restaurant and had curried fish w/ peppered peanuts and then to one of 'em open air food malls to down some laksa... Tryin' to get back to Malaysia proper next year, visit some relatives, and get some grub on: boastin' Malaysian, Chinese, Indian (usually Tamil - came across some curry dishes in Kerala/Tamil Nadu that strongly resembled the coconut milk quotient found in Malaysia/Singapore - culinary anthropology/sociology aside) flavors...

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

mos def.

i see you phill

What up n***l! Yeah, I know... I gotta stop this.

• oh yeah, and i forgot how england has that meditteranean shit too. doner kebabs or what ive always called "boner dogs" ever since my boy from NZ was raving about them in tokyo cuz they have a few boner dog vans there and he got all homesick and shit. but yeah, even you jeffy can get something at the boner dog vans. there was this one van in oxford that would hook up the veggie friendly shit for my ex-lady. she invented salad fries where its just fries with some lettuce & tomato on top with an extra dollop of garlic sauce. shit was pretty good.

my kiwi homeboy also kept raving about the "dairies" and "pies" in his native land. ive never had one unless they resemble the meat pies you can get in bakeries in england.

ps

pie > cake

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

oui, but as far as I know, only one place in the city serves it.........

I'm thinking of investing in a portable stove, so I can get my nabe/shabu shabu on like this guy.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i agree about mos def... but pho noodles are where to^i di'. authentic spots are the only way to go.

• edubedub 715 Posts

seriously ,anyone know any good spots in SF/Peninsula for a Vietnameese sandwhich? I only know this one spot right off of Geary.

I was hittin up this joint on Kearny/ Commercial for a good 5 months straight - everyday for lunch. Their BBQ Pork sandwich was $2.99. AND they got that liquid crack, Vietnamese Iced Coffee too!!!

They also have the Chicken and some Pate thing.. all good - I've tried them.

The place is called "Latte Express", of all things - two nice girls working there.

What really made this the best sandwich (besides the price) was the fresh French bread they use. No other place compares in bread quality.

All told, I haven't been there in a few months. It started getting too popular at lunch time, and there was a huge line out the door. After I started hitting up the "Good Luck Cafe" across the street, I find out they started skimping on the meat - I guess they figured they could get away with it. I think they raised their prices a bit too.

Now I'm getting all fired up about trying it again!

• I have a strong urge for chanko nabe right now.....

oui, but as far as I know, only one place in the city serves it.........

I'm thinking of investing in a portable stove, so I can get my nabe/shabu shabu on like this guy.

what's mike2600 doing at the sumo stable?

never been a fan of shabu shabu, nabe, sukiyaki, or just straight shabu for that matter. reminds me too much of oden. that shit stinks up 7-11.