...all in all, how do YOU feel about F.O.O.D.?

13»

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I'm thinking of investing in a portable stove, so I can get my nabe/shabu shabu on like this guy.

Aser, You GOTTA get one of those little potable stoves for table top cooking. Here is a picture from our place last month when we had family over for dinner.
    SUKIYAKI BITCHES!!!!!!

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    man that looks great

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    it's all about cupcakes right now.

cupcakes, son

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

cupcakes, son

cupcakes, daughter

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i'm just glad there are so many Pho fans up on here !

unfortunately, no good Pho in Hong Kong.

but Shanghai/ Northern cuisine? you fuckin bet there are dope spots here, holla!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I never had a taste for grits but now I eat it because that's what's up. I keep it real.

=

hard to find in the north

=

• thread hi-jack [/b]

Innnnnywaaaaaaaaays I went to Herbivore (The Divisadero location) and ordered the meatloaf with charm (?) (which turned out to be some type of leafy green) with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy. THE SHIT WAS BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAND. Portion wise is just enough not to be sleepy-full but the thing didn't have the savory bite I was expecting.

Buuuuuuuuuut the sandwhiches there are real good. They rock 'em sock 'em with some type of Garlic Aioli (sp) spread. FIYAH!

and the waitress was banging.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

You'll find me and my special ladyfriend here, sharing a rock shrimp and calamari margarita. Off the chain, cozy as fuk. Salmon was insane last night, and don't front on the salads. Mmmm, apricot.

• Pho IMO is overrated. Had like -0- flavor. My sister, friends and bro in law were bout it and I tried it and wanted my $5 back. I was pouring sauces and all sorts of stuff in there, NOT[/b]

And yes, the beef, chicken,etc appears a little off because they flash cook it or something so it stays red. Gourmands correct me if I'm off.

Then you ate at a WACK pho shop hommie. A good bowl of pho has CRAZY FLAVOR. Rich beef broth with star anise, cinnamon, cilantro, onion, ginger, parsnips, etc.
    FLAVOR!!!!! Where did you eat pho?

Cosign. My local (I have to drive 45 minutes to get there) Vietnamese restaurant serves a Pho broth that'll blow your mind. The first time I had it I couldn't believe how good it was.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

cupcakes, son

i told you i was crazy for these cupcakes cousin!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

but of course, ya get em all over the world in Chinatown nowadays.

• Our closest grocery is Whole Foods so we usually end up with more organic food and what not. What I miss is the farmers market in Santa Cruz.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Well, I am though!

Oh damn! THAT'S what I'm talking about. Put some Tabasco or Tapatio in the gravy. Hui, that's winna!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I made a tasty German dinner last night...Smoked pork butt with ho'made spaetzle with lentils...mmmm bitch

• hey, whatchall know about shanghaiese food? i had the most deliciousest fry bread with soy milk. plus them dumplings in red vinegar is like my all time favorite dumplings. all filled with ginger and pork and shit. umm umm. oh, and the noodles! them flat disc noodles. so good with the proper wok burn.

I lived in shanghai for a year as an exchange student and had that stuff for breakfast a bunch of times. My host-parents would drive to these tiny little joints in the middle of some industrial areas on the way to school. A big plate of Xiao long dumplings with a bowl of pork and glass noodles = absolute morning bliss. Bring a steaming cup of doujiang, that sweet tofu milk, outside and watch the old dudes do taichi in the park.

I miss it.

I could go on and on about the food I ate there.

I think one of the top dining experiences I had there was when me and a couple of my host-father's friends travelled to Jiuhuashan, the Buddhist centre of China. I ate cave-fish (the blind underground kind) and local speciality; some sort of root that tasted like a mix between ginger and caramel! Along with wild chicken, snake + X amount of dishes (they EAT over there!) and local ricewine I was in pure gastronomical heaven...

But you know that Shanghainese cuisine is like a fusion of all Chinese styles of cooking, right? Putting sugar in the dishes and the method of red-cooking put a local twist on things though...

Seriously, Chinese food outside of China is WEEEEAK compared to the real thing.

- J

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Just saying - me and the wife started getting organic produce boxes through Eat Well Frams (http://eatwell.com). This past week's came with fresh basil - like 1-2 days out of the dirt fresh. Made a simple pesto with it:

2 cups of packed basil

1 garlic clove

1/2 cup of roasted pine nuts

6 TB of olive oil

Poured it over some pasta.

try adding some fresh parmesan cheese next time.

edit/ just read the thread. You're on to Parmesan already.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Well, I am though!

That pic is making me drool. Fried Chicken is