Good Fashion Blogs?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    the rule with buttoning mens suit jacket buttons has always been, from top button on down:
    always
    sometimes
    never
    in that order.

See, I always thought it was sometimes, always, never, from the top down. This is why I don't trust myself with fashion decisions.

• DB_Cooper said:
    AKallDay said:
    the rule with buttoning mens suit jacket buttons has always been, from top button on down:
    always
    sometimes
    never
    in that order.

See, I always thought it was sometimes, always, never, from the top down. This is why I don't trust myself with fashion decisions.

No!
    you are right, i typed that wrong! it does go
    sometimes
    always
    never

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Well, at least I have that going for me. I still don't trust myself with anything but conservative fashion decisions though. A man has got to know his limitations.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    AKallDay said:

re blogging, here in ny, there are a zillion style bloggers, way too much of it. and i have worked in fashion so i have seen it over time. they have a uniform of jeffrey campbell platforms and a maxi skirt and crop top at least among women that is

For dudes, the dressed-by-the-internet-uniform:

Double-breasted blazer
    Highwater chinos in some "go-to-hell" color
    OBCD or cutaway collar
    Dub monks
    Pocket square
    Friendship bracelets

It can look good, but it's not going to work in any situation where you have to at least impersonate a professional, so it's essentially just playing dress up

• Out of curiosity, how does the -the-internet differ from dressed-by-the-magazine, -movie, -TV-show or -that-dude-you-saw-on-the-street?

Full disclosure: I own blue and orange chinos, but I've only worn each once. Can't seem to make 'em work.

• from a style blog perspective, i dress very conservatively. lots of plain tee's, lots of clean polos and lots of gingham button-ups. blacks, whites, greys. with accent pieces or accessories in an offset color. black or dark grey pants pretty much always. and everything cut and fitted.

no one will ever accuse me of being a style maven, but they'll never look at a picture of me in 20 years and say i look like an idiot either.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i gotta buy my first suit or two soon
    someone link me something to read plz

Herm said:
    Out of curiosity, how does the -the-internet differ from dressed-by-the-magazine, -movie, -TV-show or -that-dude-you-saw-on-the-street?

Very few people on television dress like that

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Brian said:

How To Find a Tailor

• faux_rillz said:
    Herm said:
    Out of curiosity, how does the -the-internet differ from dressed-by-the-magazine, -movie, -TV-show or -that-dude-you-saw-on-the-street?

Very few people on television dress like that

Ah okay. I believe you meant to say dressed-by-UnabashedlyPrep.com.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    faux_rillz said:

Double-breasted blazer
    OBCD or cutaway collar
    Dub monks
    Pocket square
    Friendship bracelets

It can look good, but it's not going to work in any situation where you have to at least impersonate a professional, so it's essentially just playing dress up

Yes. Also, the neck tattoo ties it all together.

Do these people have office jobs that require cuffed orange slacks with a gingham bowtie?

Brian said:

Although I generally think that a quality suit is a good thing to invest some money in, I would advise you not to go overboard on this first one--it is only through actually wearing a suit over a period of time that you'll be able to figure out what you like/need in one. So wait for suit no. 2 to go big. Bring somebody who is knowledgable along with you if possible--do not listen to a word that the people who work there say. Do, however, seek out a good tailor, as bassie suggested.

Scott said:
    faux_rillz said:

Double-breasted blazer
    OBCD or cutaway collar
    Dub monks
    Pocket square
    Friendship bracelets

Yes. Also, the neck tattoo ties it all together.

Do these people have office jobs that require cuffed orange slacks with a gingham bowtie?

Ankle bandanna for extra sprezzy points

• Brian said:

hugo boss. dark blue or dark grey.

that should just about wrap that up.

• SIRUS said:
    besides the sartorialist what are ya'll looking at? trying to find a blog that is more intensive about the process, sketches, etc that kinda thing. real headz let me know.

FINALLY getting to quote the original post.

http://designerman-whatisawtoday.blogspot.com/

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    SIRUS said:
    besides the sartorialist what are ya'll looking at? trying to find a blog that is more intensive about the process, sketches, etc that kinda thing. real headz let me know.

cool. i'm assuming this guy is a student? kinda looks like the tumblr version of a "inspiration" wall.

• SIRUS said:
    vintageinfants said:
    SIRUS said:

cool. i'm assuming this guy is a student? kinda looks like the tumblr version of a "inspiration" wall.

its Richard Haines, whos apparently a well respected illustrator and fashion sketcher....

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    vintageinfants said:
    SIRUS said:

its Richard Haines, whos apparently a well respected illustrator and fashion sketcher....

• batmon said:

so much for that blog.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    So, who's the dipshit tastemaker that sent out the memo that suggested that young women should all simultaneously adopt the one shoulder, oversize crop blouse look?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

Short trousers/reppin' ankles seem to be a big look with the colonials.

EDIT: And white socks :nagl:

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    had to get a female friend to help me shop last week
    actually having seasons kinda changes what you can wear

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    I cannot speak on fashion as I am currently lamping in some tick-colored board shorts and a Mirage Records half-shirt, but would like to note that even a couple-few years on, the writing on that blog really is fucking superb.

• james said:
    vintageinfants said:
    I cannot speak on fashion as I am currently lamping in some tick-colored board shorts and a Mirage Records half-shirt, but would like to note that even a couple-few years on, the writing on that blog really is fucking superb.

i remember one of his characters referring to himself as 'style sisyphus', and how it subsequently bent my mind in half.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    james said:
    vintageinfants said:

i remember one of his characters referring to himself as 'style sisyphus', and how it subsequently bent my mind in half.

The writing is a strange combination of James and Dolo, and I say that with respect.

Kindly,
    parallax