Good Fashion Blogs?

SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
besides the sartorialist what are ya'll looking at? trying to find a blog that is more intensive about the process, sketches, etc that kinda thing. real headz let me know.

Comments

• i still fux with uncrate and highsnobiety from time to time, but those dont really bring what you're looking for.... even though i wish they did.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    I also like the Street Etiquette blog for the fashion they choose to display and the way they go into details of a certain look. Fantastic Man magazine does this even better, they run a daily blog as well on their site.

• For menswear:

http://putthison.com

I just donated to the season 2 videos Kickstarter campaign. Watch the season 1 videos when you can. Dude is really thorough (read: ultimate nerdery!).

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    My friend Erika talks fashion quite a bit.

http://smallshopstudio.com/blog/

• Herm said:
    For menswear:

A recent post:

When I???m interviewed about men???s style and Put This On, I???m almost invariably asked ???what are the fashion mistakes you see men make every day???? or ???what is the most basic style knowledge men often don???t have????

That???s the kind of stuff I usually leave off this blog. After all: you???re discerning and tasteful! But every time I see some incredibly basic principle violated, I cringe. So: for the benefit of your slovenly coworker our your teenage cousin or your uncle who???s never had a job, I wrote this. Forward it to them. Anonymously, if you must.

Below are twenty-five pieces of vital information that every man over 14 in the Western world should know. Every man. No excuses. Seriously. Seriously.

Unbutton the bottom button of your jacket. It???s not intended to be buttoned.
    Same goes for your vest.
    Remove the tags on the sleeves of your jacket before you wear it.
    Jackets sometimes come with white basting thread on their shoulders or holding closed their vents. Remove this thread before wearing the jacket.
    Jacket pockets are intended to be opened. Use a small scissor or seam ripper.
    More than three jacket buttons is never appropriate for anything.
    On a three-button coat, buttoning the top button is optional, and some lapels are rolled so as to make the top button ornamental. In other words: if buttoning the top button seems wrong, it is.
    Brown shoes, brown belt. Black shoes, black belt.
    Belt or suspenders. Never belt and suspenders.
    Your jacket sleeve should be short enough to show some shirt cuff - about half an inch.
    Your pants should end at your shoes without puddling. A slight or half break means that there is one modest inflection point in the front crease. If your pants break both front and back or if they break on the sides, they???re too long.
    Your coat should follow and flatter the lines of your upper body, not pool around them. You should be able to slip a hand in to get to your inside breast pocket, but if the jacket???s closed and you can pound your heart with your fist, it???s too big.
    When you buy a suit or sportcoat, it should be altered to fit by a tailor. This will cost between $25 and $100.
    Your tie should reach your belt line - it shouldn???t end above your belt or below it.
    Your tie knot should have a dimple.
    Only wear a tie if you???re also wearing a suit or sportcoat (or, very casually, a sweater). Shirt, tie and no jacket is the wedding uniform of a nine-year-old.
    The only men who should wear black suits during the day are priests, undertakers, secret agents, funerals attendees and yokels.
    Cell phone holsters are horrible.
    So are square-toed shoes.
    Never wear visible socks with shorts.
    Or any socks with sandals.
    If your shirt is tucked in, you should be wearing a belt (or suspenders, if you???re wearing a jacket as well, or your trousers should have side adjusters and no belt loops).
    Flip flops are great for the pool and the beach and not great for anything else. (Some say this is a matter of taste. We agree. If you have any taste, you will only wear flip-flops at the beach or pool.)
    Long ties are not appropriate with a tuxedo.
    Never wear polyester outside of the gym or theme parties.

If you see someone violating one of these basic principles, feel free to send them our way. We???ll straighten them out.

I follow all of these rules, BUT I have a weak spot for the "no socks with sandals" rule. I haven't done it myself but 20ish years ago I saw a pic of Mellow Man Ace rockin' baggy jeans with white socks and huaraches in the liner notes of his first album and I always dug that look.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Herm said:
    Herm said:
    For menswear:

Shirt, tie and no jacket is the wedding uniform of a nine-year-old.

Awesome.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Herm said:
    Herm said:
    For menswear:

Only wear a tie if you???re also wearing a suit or sportcoat (or, very casually, a sweater). Shirt, tie and no jacket is the wedding uniform of a nine-year-old.

i disagree with this one. done right, a tie with a short sleeve oxford can look pretty fresh.

• Possum Tom said:
    Herm said:
    Herm said:
    For menswear:

i disagree with this one. done right, a tie with a short sleeve oxford can look pretty fresh.

I'd have to see a pic. All I can picture is this:

• Herm said:

that's racist.

clearly the author has never witnessed the NBA or NFL drafts, or a Steve Harvey/Cedric the Entertainer standup show.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Herm said:
    Herm said:
    For menswear:

A recent post:

When I???m interviewed about men???s style and Put This On, I???m almost invariably asked ???what are the fashion mistakes you see men make every day???? or ???what is the most basic style knowledge men often don???t have????

That???s the kind of stuff I usually leave off this blog. After all: you???re discerning and tasteful! But every time I see some incredibly basic principle violated, I cringe. So: for the benefit of your slovenly coworker our your teenage cousin or your uncle who???s never had a job, I wrote this. Forward it to them. Anonymously, if you must.

Below are twenty-five pieces of vital information that every man over 14 in the Western world should know. Every man. No excuses. Seriously. Seriously.

Same goes for your vest.
    Jackets sometimes come with white basting thread on their shoulders or holding closed their vents. Remove this thread before wearing the jacket.
    On a three-button coat, buttoning the top button is optional, and some lapels are rolled so as to make the top button ornamental. In other words: if buttoning the top button seems wrong, it is.
    Your jacket sleeve should be short enough to show some shirt cuff - about half an inch.
    Your pants should end at your shoes without puddling. A slight or half break means that there is one modest inflection point in the front crease. If your pants break both front and back or if they break on the sides, they???re too long.
    Your coat should follow and flatter the lines of your upper body, not pool around them. You should be able to slip a hand in to get to your inside breast pocket, but if the jacket???s closed and you can pound your heart with your fist, it???s too big.
    When you buy a suit or sportcoat, it should be altered to fit by a tailor. This will cost between $25 and $100.
    Your tie should reach your belt line - it shouldn???t end above your belt or below it.
    The only men who should wear black suits during the day are priests, undertakers, secret agents, funerals attendees and yokels.
    If your shirt is tucked in, you should be wearing a belt (or suspenders, if you???re wearing a jacket as well, or your trousers should have side adjusters and no belt loops).
    Flip flops are great for the pool and the beach and not great for anything else. (Some say this is a matter of taste. We agree. If you have any taste, you will only wear flip-flops at the beach or pool.)

If you see someone violating one of these basic principles, feel free to send them our way. We???ll straighten them out.

I follow all of these rules

FALSE!

I specifically recall you attempting to justify wearing a tie without a jacket

Possum Tom said:
    Herm said:
    Herm said:
    For menswear:

I guess I've never seen it "done right"

In addition to Mormons, this look makes me think of Henry Rollins and NASA employees circa 1963.

rootlesscosmo said:
    Herm said:

that's racist.

clearly the author has never witnessed the NBA or NFL drafts, or a Steve Harvey/Cedric the Entertainer standup show.

NBA dudes really haven't worn those schitts in years

• faux_rillz said:
    Herm said:

FALSE!

It was the sleeves rolled up with a tie, sans jacket. I think my defense/response was that 1) I roll up my sleeves when I really put in work and b) I live in the desert where even a summer jacket makes no sense. On top of all that I worked in an office where (sadly) no one gave a damn about fashion. Regardless, I haven't worn a tie in over two years. Don't really miss 'em, to be honest.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    I mostly keep up with highsnobiety and occasionally hypebeast. I also find good stuff at http://www.thepremierstore.com/ from time to time, too.

• Herm said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Herm said:

FALSE!

It was the sleeves rolled up with a tie, sans jacket. I think my defense/response was that 1) I roll up my sleeves when I really put in work and b) I live in the desert where even a summer jacket makes no sense. On top of all that I worked in an office where (sadly) no one gave a damn about fashion. Regardless, I haven't worn a tie in over two years. Don't really miss 'em, to be honest.

i've been known to rock a short sleeved gingham shirt with a tie, no jacket. and i look like a bawss.

• Not to belabor the "rules," but if you have a tailored suit, you can chill on the belt sometimes.

• is it mandatory for all male fashion/style bloggers to be really unfortunate looking?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Wasnt wearing a t-shirt w/ a jacket considered suspect BITD?

• batmon said:

on that lenny wilkens hustle? the worst look of all.

vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:

• batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:

that's because good looking and in-shape hollywood types tend to look good in most anything. do you think gordie from accounts payable could put this on and shred the same way?

vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:

that's because good looking and in-shape hollywood types tend to look good in most anything. do you think gordie from accounts payable could put this on and shred the same way?

Not every style is for everybody.

Either u got style or u dont.

Geoffrey Beene's What Everyman Over 14 should know is cool, but restrictive.

Know The Rules but Fuck Them As Well.

As for the OG question.....I dont go to style blogs on the internets but...

Bold On The Street

Theres nothin wrong with this on a casual level. Not for wedding or big events.

• batmon said:

Bold On The Street

translation: i dont go to style blogs on the internets, but.... i go to style blogs on the internet.

• http://www.gq.com/style/profiles/201109/bad-street-style-trends-fashion-week

Three years ago, the street-style movement felt like a mini revolution. Guys like The Sartorialist used a digital camera, a blog, and photographs of real people with real style to upend the closed clique that is the fashion world. Suddenly, instead of looking to the runways for inspiration, the style-minded started stealing ideas from online photos snapped on the world's hippest streets. It was fresh, it was democratic, it was inspired. But now it just feels lame.

Here's why: When the street-style trend went nuclear, all the accidental "Who, me?" unselfconsciousness that once made it so fresh was tainted. The streets became the runway. Next thing you know, wannabe style icons are stalking Sartorialist-favored avenues, hoping to be photographed. And???even worse???the fashionistas loitering outside the shows in Europe transformed from insiders who live the life into try-hards working overtime to get photographed. What everyone quickly learned is that the best way to get noticed is to go over the top???to identify every trend and pile them all on at once.

These days, the supposed cool kids look like straight-up jackasses. It's like, dude, why is your tie tucked, your collar askew, your pant rolled, your sleeves cut off, your jacket double-breasted, and your pocket square poufing so high it's licking your earlobes...all at the same time? You know it's bad when bros are making Kanye West seem like a bastion of restrained taste.

So what does all this mean to those of us who want to look stylish without becoming fashion victims? Be careful when imitating what you see on the blogs, and remember to take it one trend at a time. Avoid the temptation to go full Salvador Dal??. If you've got on blue-soled shoes, maybe you don't need a matching blue bolo tie. If your trousers are artfully rolled, maybe you don't need to tuck in your tie. And for the love of God, don't make somebody stop you in the street to tell you that your ankle bandannas are showing.

Read More http://www.gq.com/style/profiles/201109/bad-street-style-trends-fashion-week#ixzz1YL6Kle5i

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    www.valetmag.com
    www.thestyleblogger.com/
    http://kevc.tumblr.com/
    www.selectism.com
    http://sartoriallyinclined.blogspot.com/
    http://howtotalktogirlsatparties.tumblr.com

And the granddaddy of em all -

www.thesartorialist.com

vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:

Bold On The Street

translation: i dont go to style blogs on the internets, but.... i go to style blogs on the internet.

:pasue:

wrong -that blog is from a dude met thru a co-worker.

i'd rather argue w/ 16 year olds about the Batsuit's colorways.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Herm said:

A recent post:

Same goes for your vest.

Despite what my posts might indicate, I think fashion rules are lame.
    One day, I'll see a guy make white socks with black shoes and pants look like the best thing I've seen all year. Until then, it's common sense, personal taste and a culturally biased palate.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Possum Tom said:
    Herm said:
    Herm said:
    For menswear:

I guess I've never seen it "done right"

In addition to Mormons, this look makes me think of Henry Rollins and NASA employees circa 1963.
    Maybe with a dumpy white shirt and a dark tie. but with a fitted shirt and a low contrast tie i think it can be rocked and rocked well. to each is own i suppose.