who used to listen to anticon?

jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
were any of you ever caught up in that sound?

Comments

• not over here

• not over here

• i've found that the people that listened to that type of rap, tend to be of the same kind of people that made it in the first place. what would now be a mix of white hipster and dirtbag.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    who?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'm not mad at jel

• i used to listen to some of their shit, i was big on Buck65 and Sixtoo (mainly because they were local shit to me and i followed them before they were even on anticon)

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Def Jux yes, Anticon no.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i was never into it. i just wanted to see how other people felt. pretty much exactly the kind of reaction i thought

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    A lot of their early beatmakers were awesome. Jel, Controller, Moodswing, Scotty Maetallic, early Alias, Signify.

can't back the vocals though

Although most of those producers ended up releasing material on Bully. and that I celebrated

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    behemoth said:
    A lot of their early beatmakers were awesome. Jel, Controller, Moodswing, Scotty Maetallic, early Alias, Signify.

can't back the vocals though

Although most of those producers ended up releasing material on Bully. and that I celebrated

I was into it for a while. Also the Bully 7"s were pretty nice.

b/w

Wasn't Sixtoo a regular poster on here for a while?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    HELL NAW.

• Hey everyone, this guy above me does not, I repeat, does NOT like anticon!

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    who was the anticon rapper that sounded like an old woman when he rhymed? sorta like the norman bates mother voice in psycho. that guy was hard to swallow

• I dunno about the older stuff but definitely Tobacco and Jel's MPC videos. Probably a few other bits too.

• i've been known to listen to Deep Puddle Dynamics about once a year....

• leon said:
    Def Jux yes no, Anticon no.

• no

• Yes and I'm pretty unapologetic about it. That said, a number of those Anticon records were unsuccessful in surviving my recent purges. They appealed to my younger self.

• Once in a while still, innovative beatmaking and concepts at times. I am from minneapolis, so take with a grain of salt...

Not listening to/dissing anticon to be cool is more cheeseball than owning up.

Yes, yes i know, you once did shots with the hot boys. Hella gangsta in ya LRG brahs.

• I like Buck 65's records on Anticon. I like his record called Vertex. Also he has a record that I think is called square or something that is dope to me. His record Man Overboard I like as well. I like them more than okay I think those Buck records are dope. I like Sixtoo's EP called The Secrets That Houses Keep.

• thrope said:
    i've been known to listen to Deep Puddle Dynamics about once a year....

Word! Deep Puddle Dynamics The Taste of Rain is a dope record. The beats on the record are ill. I am not a huge fan of the style or rap on the record (kinda abstract free flowing thought, not concerned about rhyming or even making sense at times). It is still interesting record and worth listening to.

• leon said:
    Def Jux yes, Anticon no.

• I listened to Sixtoo and Buck65 for a little while. Not sure if they were even considered "Anticon". I also liked this one song by Mr. Skurge on the pretentiously named "hip hop for advanced listeners" comp. Skurge seemed bugged out in a good way as opposed to most of the roster who were terrible.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I like Jels instrumental stuff and DJ Signifys "Signifying breaks", if that counts. But the Anticon rappers never did it for me.

But yeah, I still have some records on Def Jux left.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Is this some kind of outreach program? Are you looking to form a support group.

• RecordBeast said:
    leon said:
    Def Jux yes, Anticon no.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    Also the Bully 7"s were pretty nice.

b/w

Was the Bully thing an anticon thing? I still have many of those Bully records, but I don't think I have any Anticon records (unless the Bully records count as Anticon records). I like those Bully records.

• I liked some of Anticon,
    Wasn't Controller 7 on Anticon? ;)
    I liked Why?, Jel, Dosh.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    JRoot said:
    Kinetic said:
    Also the Bully 7"s were pretty nice.

b/w

Was the Bully thing an anticon thing? I still have many of those Bully records, but I don't think I have any Anticon records (unless the Bully records count as Anticon records). I like those Bully records.
    Nah it wasn't an Anticon thing, but there was crossover in terms of artist roster, and Bully kinda got going in the wake of Anticon's demise.