9/11 thread- 10 years later

kalakala 3,359 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
i still think the official story has more holes in it than a doughnut factory

prayers and positive vibes go out to all of the families that lost loved ones and are still hurting from this sacrifice.

it's a shitty day to be called an "american"

Comments

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Will 500.000 dead Iraqi children ever have a monument erected in their memory? something aint right.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    There has never been a time in history when there was more sympathy for the US all around the world. How this was squandered is a tragedy of its own. There's nothing about 9/11 that is not sad and any attempt to exploit these events for patriotic hurrah or overly creative conspiracy theories only make things sadder.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    One of your fellow SoulStrutters is the brother of a first-responder (FDNY) who died that day. His name was just read aloud in the memorial service. I hope anyone who replies to this thread respects the memory of the lives that were lost.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    It is a day to honor the victims and heroes.

RIP and Thanks

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I love New York.

• Rockadelic said:

RIP and Thanks

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

RIP and Thanks
    exactly, when I was at Ground Zero with the school kids last year it was the most sobering day of the trip, very moving.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Will 500.000 dead Iraqi children ever have a monument erected in their memory? something aint right.

To be accurate around 100,000-200,000 Iraqi children probably died from the U.N. sanctions. The first couple years were really rough, and then the situation got better when sanctions were liberalized a bit. The much higher death counts were propagated by Saddam to break international support for the sanctions. Baghdad even went around and collected all the dead bodies of children and wouldn't let their parents bury them no matter what the cause of death, to put before the press to push this propaganda line. The blame should also be evenly spread. The U.N., and international community knew that these sanctions were too tight at first and were causing mass hardships within Iraq. They did eventually change them as a result. Saddam on the other hand actively worked to break and undermine the sanctions and collected hundreds of millions of dollars from smuggling during this period and largely kept it for himself and his cronies, while his country was falling apart. He also refused to cooperate with the U.N. weapons inspectors and never fully came clean about his WMD programs, which was why the sanctions were kept in place after Iraq's 1990 invasion of Kuwait.

• 10 years later and the memory of it still feels as though it were yesterday. I'm sure everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news. I remember being in English class my freshman year of high school and my teacher went out to pick up copies of something and I was sitting in the second to last row. I remember Mrs. Gabele running in and frantically telling us to turn on the television. The entire time I was watching I was praying that the buildings wouldn't collapse. I remember all around me my friends were crying, but I wasn't able to. I was sad and angry that something like this could happen, but at the same time I didn't want to believe that this had just happened.

Looking back at that day is like looking at an old scar that isn't as scarring as when it was first made, but it still shows. Watching some of the documentaries and first-person accounts of people saving others and the firemen who inadvertently saved their own lives by saving another lady on their way out of the buildings left a smile on my face. And for the first time I actually cried. Rest well, heroes. Rest well, victims. And I pray for the families and friends of the families affected by that day.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    kala said:
    it's a shitty day to be called an "american"

In London, the Star Spangled Banner played during the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, while traffic came to a standstill in The Mall nearby.

In Beijing, tens of thousands of people visited the U.S. Embassy, leaving flowers, cards, funeral wreaths and hand-written notes of condolence on the sidewalk out front.

In Moscow, women who spoke no English and had never been to the U.S. were captured on film sobbing in front of a makeshift tribute on a sidewalk, and every single church and monastery in Romania held a memorial prayer.

In France, a well-known newspaper, Le Monde, ran a headline reading, ???We Are All Americans.???

In the Middle East, both the Israeli president and the Palestinian leader condemned the attacks, and made a show of donating blood.

Kuwaitis lined up to donate blood as well. Jordanians signed letters of sympathy.

In Tehran, an entire stadium of people gathered for a soccer match observed a moment of silence, and in Turkey, flags flew at half-mast.

In Berlin, 200,000 people packed the streets leading to the Brandenburg Gate.

A thousand miles south, in Dubrovnik, Croatia, schoolchildren took a break from classes to bow their heads in silence.

In Dublin, shops and pubs were closed during a national day of mourning, and people waited in a three-hour line to sign a book of condolences.

In Sweden, Norway and Finland, trams and buses halted in tribute, and in Russia, television and radio stations went silent to commemorate the innocent dead.

In Azerbaijan, Japan, Greenland, Bulgaria and Tajiskitan, people gathered in squares to light candles, murmur good wishes and pray. And in Pretoria, South Africa, little kids perched on their parents??? shoulders holding mini American flags.

Firefighters in Hungary tied black ribbons to their trucks, firefighters in South Africa flew red, white and blue, and firefighters in Poland sounded their sirens, letting loose a collective wail one warm afternoon.

Cubans offered medical supplies. Ethiopians offered prayers. Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan offered their air space, and dozens of other world leaders called the White House to offer their support.

Hundreds of thousands of people in Canada, Albania and Sierra Leone marched in the streets in shows of solidarity, and mosques in Bangladesh, Yemen, Pakistan, Libya and Sudan trembled with clerics??? condemnation of those ???cowardly??? and ???un-Islamic??? attacks.

Lebanese generals convened to sign letters of sympathy, and in Italy, Pope John Paul II fell to his knees in prayer.

Albania, Ireland, Israel, Canada, Croatia, South Korea and the Czech Republic all declared national days of mourning, and the legendary bells of Notre Dame echoed throughout Paris.

In Italy, race car drivers preparing for the upcoming Italian Grand Prix silenced their engines, and in London, hundreds stood quietly during the noontime chimes of Big Ben.

In Belgium, people held hands, forming a human chain in front of the Brussels World Trade Center, and seventeen time zones away, strangers in Indonesia gathered on a beach to pray.

In India, children taped up signs that read, ???This is an attack on all of us,??? and in Austria, church bells tolled in unison.

Read the full text here: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/99665#ixzz1Xl5Jmy74
    --brought to you by mental_floss!

• insane and saddening day to say the least.

I was at work (I was working as an Athletic Trainer at a school), my Athletic Director stuck his head inside my door and asked, "Hey Doc (I think every trainer in any Texas school is called "doc"), do you have your TV or Radio on? Something happened in New York, a plane crashed into a building, turn it on." He then went back to his office.

That is how I found out about it...a simple, mater of fact, "hey a plane flew into a building"

I then turned on my radio and my radio was tuned to Howard Stern...and it was weird...the most serious, non joking I have ever, or will ever hear the Howard Stern show. I then turned on the TV .

Truly a holy shit kind of moment.

Hard to believe its been a decade...a really fucked up decade.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    coselmed said:
    One of your fellow SoulStrutters is the brother of a first-responder (FDNY) who died that day. His name was just read aloud in the memorial service. I hope anyone who replies to this thread respects the memory of the lives that were lost.

RIP.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I watched that History channel special last night. It was a couple hours of raw, archived footage most of which I had never seen. It was emotionally captivating and filled me up with sadness.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    coselmed said:

Thank you and welcome back.

I was definitely thinking of sweendoglongisland and his family yesterday.

I'm guessing all of us have a connection to 9/11, even if once or twice removed.
    My cousin worked in the towers 2 or three days a week.
    A long lost brother worked at the Pentagon and I couldn't find any way to get in touch with him. Had to wait days for the Pentagon to post the names of who died.
    My co-workers Aunt was working in the towers that day. She was in the lobby when the plane hit, she started running and didn't stop until she was half way across the Brooklyn Bridge.

I was so upset I couldn't work, I wanted to do something to help. About 10am (PT) I went down to the Red Cross headquarters. Of course I was 3,000 miles away, but it was all I could do to help. The donation center was mobbed, they had people out a block away giving people future dates to come in and donate because there was no way to get close and all the people coming to donate were creating a traffic jam.

I headed over to the architects office where my wife was working. It was business as usual there. I stopped by her desk and we cried a bit. The architects she worked with were so full of self-importance they couldn't see (yet) how this effected them, both personally and professionally. After I left they asked her what that was about. It took them a while to get it.

I don't remember the rest of the day, I think I went back to work and listened to npr.

I remember a lot of you on crates list in were in the city that day. Someones car, with a record that had just arrived in the mail, was buried in the rubble.

I watched the towers fall on tv in real time and didn't turn the tv back on for weeks or months.

RIP

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    coselmed said:

Thank you and welcome back.

I was definitely thinking of sweendoglongisland and his family yesterday.

Thanks, D. I'm not "back," per se, but something compelled me to log onto SS yesterday. Will add you as a friend on Facebook so you can follow the adventures of me and my pit bull, Michael Jackson. ;-)

• Martin said:
    how many 9/11's have we created in the middle east since 2001??????

like a total body count? over 2 million???

Rockadelic said:

RIP and Thanks

• Jeremy Glick, the national Judo champion who helped the passenger counterattack on United 93, was the older brother of my friend on my HS wrestling and football teams, Jed. He came to some of our wrestling practices to show us some moves and do some scrimmaging. His is such an inspiringly brave and heroic story. His family started Jeremy's Heroes in his memory.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Martin said:
    Horseleech said:
    Martin said:
    how many 9/11's have we created in the middle east since 2001??????

like a total body count? over 2 million???

Rockadelic said:

RIP and Thanks

These are the thoughts that come into my head when 9/11 is mentioned and also people I consider victims of 9/11. However outraged you were following 9/11, you're feelings should be magnified by all the senseless death that has followed. And I haven't seen a single thread EVER about "everyone else" so I figured this was an appropriate place to ask the question.

You figured incorrectly. There have been 100s of posts and numerous threads on here about how senseless wars which followed 9/11 have been, so you're completely wrong there.

My mom's cousin was in the pentagon, but was OK. I remember having my radio show the night of 9/11. Played Stevie Wonder "Evil" at the end. That song just about brings me to tears ever since.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    NOBODY is out to disrespect the victims of the 9-11 attacks.

Its just that memorial services completely focusing on the 3000 dead US civilians with no mention or acknowledgement of the 100s of thousands of innocent deaths following these events leave a foul taste in any rational mind, and does a disservice to the memory of all victims.

There's no monopoly on grief for New York or the US when it comes to this chain of events. As has been said many times before - these attacks were attacks on the entire western world, not just New York. And it is ridiculous to deny anyone the right to voice this sentiment when remembering 9-11.

In fact, this realisation is especially poignant when it comes to remembering 9-11.

Paul Krugman in the New York times: "The memory of 9/11 has been irrevocably poisoned; it has become an occasion for shame. And in its heart, the nation knows it."

• The last administration did everything it could to conflate the horrific attacks on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon with the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, but it was a tragedy in its own right. The memorial service was the time to remember and reflect on the people who died or were affected on that dark day. Not an occasion to be used to justify or villify the wars that have followed.

• Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Jeremy Glick, the national Judo champion who helped the passenger counterattack on United 93, was the older brother of my friend on my HS wrestling and football teams, Jed. He came to some of our wrestling practices to show us some moves and do some scrimmaging. His is such an inspiringly brave and heroic story. His family started Jeremy's Heroes in his memory.

I thought you were talking about this Jeremy Glick for a second.

RIP