Black Jazz master tapes on craigslist

TheDollarBinDonTheDollarBinDon 81 Posts
edited January 2018 in Strut Central
“Here is a chance to purchase the Master Tapes to the label Black Jazz Records. You can purchase them indiviually or complete,there is 20 master tapes total. The price for the entire Label is $285,0000 or you can buy the masters indivually for $12,000 each. There is no liens or licenses for the masters. They have a clear title, No royaltie obligations, This is a great deal for a label that wants to ad Jazz Masters to their masters library. Once you purchase the Masters your granted to rights to Re-produce Cds
and Vinyl and and to all Digital Download sights. Contact James if intersted. 510 452 5299 blackjazz a totally new jazz expierience…….”

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/emd/2512514369.html

Comments

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Hmmmm

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    rewindddd back to july 2003 >

"A company by the name of
    SOUL JAZZ RECORDS has been illegally manufacturing BLACK JAZZ PRODUCT. They have put out a compilation entitled " The Best of Black Jazz"on Universal Sounds/Soul Jazz Records. This Fraudulent act was done without my permission. Please DO NOT PURCHASE any of these illegal LP's and CD's from this company SOUL JAZZ RECORDS. We are currently proceeding with a LEGAL remedy to get this company to cease and desist. You can help us by emailing us to inform us of any distributors and retail stores and E-Commerce sites that may have this ILLEGAL PRODUCT
    "The Best of Black Jazz".

email: blackjazz@mindspring.com
    ph: 510-452-5299

Thanks for your support.
    James Hardge Jr.
    President, Black Jazz Records"

(and of course the comp is still for sale http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Black-Jazz-Records-1971-1976/dp/B000024KWB )

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    Does anyone know if we can expect any unreleased tracks on this label...ever???
    I've heard "Mainstream" records has lots of unreleased material on the shelves...

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    What I don't get is that he sells the masters individually for 12k and all together for 285k (I guess he mistyped the other 0 in that fugure) while all 20 masters for 12k makes 240k. Does he mean by buying "the entire label" you buy the brand "Black Jazz" and are therefore enabled to make new Black Jazz releases in the future?

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    he tried to reactivate the label and had a website over at www.blackjazz.com that was selling MP3s of the back catalogue some years ago. the website is now down.

Black Jazz was founded by Gene Russell in the early 70s, it appears that the tapes have changed hands quite a few times over the years - but that doesn't mean the rights have.

here's an old interview with James explaining some of it.

http://www.jazzwax.com/2007/11/black-jazz-reco.html

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    multitracks :face_melt:

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    damms said:

I'm afraid not.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    disco_che said:
    damms said:

I'm afraid not.
    just took a close look at the pics in the ad and you're right

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    he tried to reactivate the label and had a website over at www.blackjazz.com that was selling MP3s of the back catalogue some years ago. the website is now down.
    l

I remember that , I tried to buy a hoodie from the site years ago and it never arrived

• ok I can shed a lil light on this. James has been contacting mad people from traffic to Fat beats to wax poetics about buying his catalog for several years. i guess now is in a hurry to sell. his price has always been too high for everyone and therefore it has not been sold yet. In addition, he claims there are no extra tracks or unreleased tracks at all. He does not have the OG artwork either. I have talked to him several times as he keeps asking who i know who would wanna buy his catalog. My answer is always you're asking for too much and this catalog which is only 20 records deep has been bootleg to death for years. he doesn't believe me and thinks I was lying but I am like oh well good luck!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    davidwingate said:
    ok I can shed a lil light on this. James has been contacting mad people from traffic to Fat beats to wax poetics about buying his catalog for several years. i guess now is in a hurry to sell. his price has always been too high for everyone and therefore it has not been sold yet. In addition, he claims there are no extra tracks or unreleased tracks at all. He does not have the OG artwork either. I have talked to him several times as he keeps asking who i know who would wanna buy his catalog. My answer is always you're asking for too much and this catalog which is only 20 records deep has been bootleg to death for years. he doesn't believe me and thinks I was lying but I am like oh well good luck!

Man, is this a common scenario, and lot's of good stuff is going unissued as a result.

In the mean time boots come out and sales of physical product continue to decline, ever diminishing whatever value these titles have.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    So what is up with him thinking that Soul Jazz issued that stuff illegally?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    What the (*& is this? The owner of these historical pieces of music posting an ad full of typo's on the interwebs, you end up with a plastic bag full of reels? That's how we, people, deal with this kind of stuff, so sad. History bound to be lost forever??

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    P-Vine in Japan released a beautiful cardboard box set of all the albums with mini lp style sleeves. is it a bootleg too?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    blackjazz said:
    negative comments about Black Jazz.
    http://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36773

• Bing bang boom!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    :hayek:

blackjazz said:
    I have the Black Jazz label up for sale for $185,000
    That price is dropping fast. Potential buyers should definitely hold out.

• Sale it all day.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    blackjazz said:
    that was almost painful to read

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    blackjazz said:

STEP TO THE REAR, LOOKY LEW

• damms said:
    Reynaldo said:
    blackjazz said:

yeah the bits where people were dissing ECM, Groove Merchant and India Navigation = lol.

i enjoyed rereading the black jazz vs strata east thread from a few years back in this context, its a more balanced appraisal of the catalogue.

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/68340

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

DB_Cooper said:
    Reynaldo said:
    blackjazz said:

STEP TO THE REAR, LOOKY LEW
    I don't know, man--word on the street is that the Black Jazz catalog has numerous liens on it for failing to satisfy its obligation to not be tepid.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    crated digger

One of the best :hayek: ever.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This is a good idea.

I always like to see artist owning their own work.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    damms said:
    Reynaldo said:
    blackjazz said:

yeah the bits where people were dissing ECM, Groove Merchant and India Navigation = lol.

Those labels are straight garbage, dude.