TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I still think Wenger is hoping Gibbs will somehow stay fit long enough to cement his place at Lb. Buying quality in that positon would mean giving up hope on him. This Brazilian dude is older, experienced, and good cover for Gibbs hopefully.

Arteta is a good signing. We obviously tried to sign higher quality replacements than Benny, but failed. That's a little worrying, Matta in particular. The others were a case of bad luck and bad timing. Tissue (no, phone autocorrect) Yossi (thankyou) is still a quality squad player, who'll fit in well.

I'm going to hold off judgement on Mertesacker till I've seen him play for us. Maybe we'll go back for Cahill in January.

But we're now looking very much a second tier club, which sucks. Although we are also now much stronger than we were three games ago. Silver-lining
    Looks like another season of 'maybe next year'. Not sure if dropping out of the top 4 and CL would spur the board in to action, or resign us to medicrity and put the likes of Hazard off coming here.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    apparently Arry refused 60mil for modric
    good luck with that
    you have to admit that after the torres debace chelsea has made great signings modric/pereira would have been the ultimate but i am loving mereiles he was a joy to watch at liverpool, has that portuguese connection with AVB and will provide goals and service
    hopefully he can resurect torres.
    the top 3 seem (on paper) to already be decided, liverpool have made themseves slightly weaker imo

• The word was that it was 30 Million + Alex or 40 Million.

Knowing Tottenhams need for a Centre Back I would have taken the Alex deal.

January is going to be busy for a lot of teams too.
    I believe Benayoun will only get one season at Arse and Wenger will be buying big from France for the long term.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Junior said:
    Things could always be worse........

http://evertontime.com/

Heh. It's all they've got, bless 'em.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Morning all. Back from a week in mostly sunny Wales.

Didn't have Dzeko or (duh) Roonaldo in my team. 3 weeks in and it's Game T F Over, it would very much appear.

• I'll start picking out an avatar for you...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Also, know there are a few cinephiles on here, anyone else catch the first part of The Story of Film: An Odyssey? I approached it with trepidation as I've loathed Cousins presenting style (fhi-ilmmm) ever since he took over Moviedrome from the irreplaceable Alex Cox but was willing to give it a go since it offered up what looks like an extremely in depth world view on the evolution of the form.
    After the first episode I remain unconvinced. It started appallingly and got better as it went along (lots of discussion with examples of the development of basic shot structure etc) but my loathing of his voiceover almost overpowers any wisdom he's delivering.

Forgot this was on. Gah!

Kids have eaten any spare time I have, although I do get to watch the kids films, but so many "Proper" films to catch up on. Last one that blew me away was "Old Boy". Anything topping that recently?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Old Boy is getting a Hollywood remake, directed by Spike Lee. Can't say I'll be rushing to the cinema to see that one, but it'll be interesting to see what he does with it. And what it does for his ailing career.

If you've only got limited time to watch non child friendly movies, I would highly recommend A Prophet, if you haven't see it already Jim. Fantastic film.

-

I missed that Alex Cox Cousins thing also, I'll go find it on catch up somewhere.
    The jury is still out on his voice impmg. Although I can see how one could find it most vexing.
    I did watch the film he made about taking a cinema out to a remote village in Iraq, where most children had never seen such things. He also gave some of them cameras and told them to go off and film their lives to make their own movies. It was really good.

Must confess to not having mustered up the courage to watch A Prophet yet. Know it will be brilliant and loved his previous work but suspect it's not a film to put on to relax to at the end of the day. Useful reminder for me.

Yeah I rate Cousinsssss as a writer and when he did Moviedrome he did introduce me to Target among others which blew me away. However I find his over emphasis of words along with an insistence on elaborating subjects very gruelling, especially compared to the irrelevant attitude of someone like Cox.

I've recently copped "Inception" and "Limitless". There are a lot of plot holes in both but I enjoyed them.

"A Prophet" looks like a tough watch. I love me some French cinema but my palate has changed over the years and gritty rhape-fests are going to get plenty of ffwdage. I must deal, I know. I still have "Gran Torino" and "American Gangster" in cellophane from Christmas.

I want to talk about the Mercuries. Yes I know it's only one (1) award but I like to type it so.

PJ Harvey seems the hot fave. Doc always has the inside line, but even in Germany? I have not heard note one of the Harvey but the competition seems feeble.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Re: PJ Harvey

Am I the only one who finds a concept album about ENGERLAND to be completely ridiculous?

Paul said:

Am I the only one who finds a concept album about ENGERLAND to be completely ridiculous?

One man's completely ridiculous = another man's BOLD.

I could, if I were in the mood, dismiss the entire Floyd catalog as completely ridiculous...

Paul said:

Obligatory Why Do You Hate England?

I've still yet to listen to the album properly but what I've heard of it sounded pretty decent, is it very conceptual? On the plus side rather her than some reactionary old ex-pat bellend like Morrissey.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

I could, if I were in the mood, dismiss the entire Floyd catalog as completely ridiculous...

What about covers of Floyd tracks?

Junior said:
    Paul said:

Obligatory Why Do You Hate England?

I've still yet to listen to the album properly but what I've heard of it sounded pretty decent, is it very conceptual? On the plus side rather her than some reactionary old ex-pat bellend like Morrissey.

Haha, I'm glad you bought Mozza into this, now that's how you explore themes of 'Englishness'.. not all this branches shaking in the wind crap. Did she just take English A-level? She's aping Wordsworth with this romantic countryside imagery with added World War 1 'in the trenches' shit thrown in for good measure.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Sorry to derail somewhat but I just wanted to say.. A Prophet, from what I remember of it is not a particularly 'hard watch'. For a film that does have it's violent scenes, there is often a genuine tenderness to the movie. And not in the English, ees a baad boy, but ey luvs is' maah, way. But in the very French philosophical meditation on the meaning of life way.
    So it's not your average prison drama, definitely not Scum or Prisoner Cell Block H related.

YOU MUST WATCH

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    I've recently copped "Inception" and "Limitless". There are a lot of plot holes in both but I enjoyed them.

"A Prophet" looks like a tough watch. I love me some French cinema but my palate has changed over the years and gritty rhape-fests are going to get plenty of ffwdage. I must deal, I know. I still have "Gran Torino" and "American Gangster" in cellophane from Christmas.

I want to talk about the Mercuries. Yes I know it's only one (1) award but I like to type it so.

PJ Harvey seems the hot fave. Doc always has the inside line, but even in Germany? I have not heard note one of the Harvey but the competition seems feeble.

I dunno about the inside line. One of my mates is on the judging panel, but she tends to keep her counsel, even about her own personal faves.

The PJ album is good. White Chalk has been my favourite of hers in recent years, but this is a really solid album. She could have easily ploughed the Mad Shouty Bird furrow for an entire career if she'd wanted, but she's tried to keep moving and it's made her a more interesting artist.

Personally, I can see either Everything Everything or James Blake winning it. Part of me wants to hate Everything Everything's math-rock lite for its blatant contrivances, but I keep catching some of those attractive flourishes they've dotted around the songs, and that's been enough to stop me writing them off.

This is the one I hope will win it. They're mates of mates so I'm a bit biased, but Kenny Creosote is a hugely talented songwriter, and the whole record is far enough within the realm of classic Eno or Talk Talk to hit the spot for me.

Okem said:
    Sorry to derail somewhat but I just wanted to say.. A Prophet, from what I remember of it is not a particularly 'hard watch'. For a film that does have it's violent scenes, there is often a genuine tenderness to the movie. And not in the English, ees a baad boy, but ey luvs is' maah, way. But in the very French philosophical meditation on the meaning of life way.
    So it's not your average prison drama, definitely not Scum or Prisoner Cell Block H related.

YOU MUST WATCH

I HAVE T3H T0RR3||7 ||0//

Yeah I'm convinced, will grab A Prophet this week. Okem, you seen his earlier "The Beat That My Heart Skipped"? Remake of Fingers but thought it was a riveting watch.

In other news. The prize goes to to PJ so really should check it out properly now though slightly put off by Paul's summary of the lyrical content. I think I was done with trenches songs around the time of Pipes Of Peace.

B/W Oh, Earnshaw

I wouldn't take my insight on lyrics for too much though.

I almost enjoyed the 'Russell Brand/Russell Crowe' line off the Kanye album.

Also, I just read a great comment on The Sun about how Capello is pandering to The FA aka Man United by picking Chris Smalling. Classic shit.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Junior said:
    Okem, you seen his earlier "The Beat That My Heart Skipped"? Remake of Fingers but thought it was a riveting watch.
    Yep. It's one I've been meaning to revisit. A Prophet is a much better film IMO, but I don't remember being as enthralled by tbtmhs as others were. But chances are I was just in the wrong mood to fully appreciate it.

I haven't seen any of Jacques Audiard's other movies though. He has an earlier one staring Vince Cassel which is also meant to be good, and it has the familar theme of the conflicted criminal.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Paul said:

That wtf moment is about the only thing that I remember of my listen to WtT.

Okem said:
    I haven't seen any of Jacques Audiard's other movies though. He has an earlier one staring Vince Cassel which is also meant to be good, and it has the familar theme of the conflicted criminal.

That's "Read My Lips" IIRC. Just checking. Yes. On my "To Watch" list since 2000 and f*cking one, it seems. Vince da man. He's into his hip-hop and is knocking the back out of Monica Bellucci.

Ah, but is he really happy?

Paul said:

Also, I just read a great comment on The Sun about how Capello is pandering to The FA aka Man United by picking Chris Smalling. Classic shit.

I think I'm possibly in a minority of one who is still amused by some of Mr West's wordplay though that line was one step too far even for me. he should have referenced Bertrand instead.

I thought the Utd players (more Smalling and Young than the isolated Wayne) were among the few who actually did ok last night, Young in particular. Chelsea's contingent all looked off the pace, sluggish, and a waste of space.Barry did ok in the second half, Downing did ok, apart from that I thought the team were appalling.

Barry did ok in the second half

Gareth ain't the only Gareth.

We let them have the ball a lot. Good job they were feckless.

Still missing a creative spark. A Silva/Ribery et al kind of player. Any takers?

Should have made changes a lot earlier in the match IMO. Lampard was pretty much non existent and Parker, even though he's a "Good lad" wasn't going to make much of a difference. Meant that Rooney was stranded a lot of the time and therefore had to come back and be part of the creative midfield leaving us no one central upfront.

First England match I've actually sat through since the World Cup and probably the last one I'll sit through until the European Championships start.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Ramsey MOTM!

Over-cautious team selection... Capello should've built on the Bulgaria performance and stuck with the players that did well.
    Was (pleasantly) surprised that both England and Wales were often trying to pass the ball out of their own halves when under pressure. Much less hoofing it clear than usual. England were decent enough in the first half, and looked very tired in the second half.
    No support/service for Rooney down the middle. Lampard's job?

Will Capello wait until we've qualified before he plays Cleverly?