Music software for Mac

highnoteshighnotes 66 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
So, i finally scored a macbook after years of dell laptops. I was using a old, old version of ACID (i think 2.0) to do some beats and recordings and using Sound Forge to edit. I realize that software has advanced a lot but i'm looking for something simple like the system i had. I have messed with garage band a bit but stll wondering whats out there. What are yall using and what would you recommend?

Comments

• I did start writing a overblown dissertation comparing the relative merits of the available software, but realised it was pretty pointless. On the whole, they are much of a muchness.Some like Ableton are good for effects and using live (and DJing), Reason is great for beatmaking and keeping everything in the box, Logic & Protools both great for mixing and Adobe Audition is great for cleaning up audio. However they all have the ability to do most things, it's just a case of getting comfy with the interfaces presented in each package.

If you want something simple, but relatively powerful, Garageband is better than it has any business being, but Reaper is an excellent and inexpensive all rounder.

• I would say moving from Acid, Ableton Live would be the best choice. Personally I prefer Logic, but I have worked with logic since version 3 on PC. It's a bit of a learning curve.

Like what was said about Reason, it's a great in the box beat making program. I feel limited with Reason.

You could jump right into Live and be happy and never delve into all the intricacies.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i would reccomend Logic if you are reasonably computer literate, it can be a little tricky to get to know, but once you have your heard around it is a great DAW
    I have heard a lot of positive things about Ableton, especially in regards to how user friendly it is

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Ableton Live

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    live and logic has already been mentioned a couple times.

it really depends on what youre doing though.
    Are you going to sequence and use midi or virtual instruments.
    Or is just just takes of audio recording multilayered.

Because protools was always king at audio, Logic is amazing for midi stuff, but still lacks on the audio editing that is somewhat complicated and errr unlogical? :D

I'm also a die hard logic fan since the old emagic logic pc days.

But if youre just recording waves making mp3s wavelab has been available for mac for a bit now.
    Other than that there's also Bias Peak and WaveEditor for simple audio recording and Multi layering.

an other question would be: is this bedroom-r or something you would want to open up at somebody else's place?
    Logic/Protools/Live would be the way to go there.

• i should have explained better but basically i just sample straight off the turntable. no midi stuff. so using acid 2.0 since i was 15 has always been just right for me. im gonna try out that reaper and ableton live though. thanks for posting!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    highnotes said:
    i should have explained better but basically i just sample straight off the turntable. no midi stuff. so using acid 2.0 since i was 15 has always been just right for me. im gonna try out that reaper and ableton live though. thanks for posting!

I'm using an MPC1000 still but I'm going to make the switch to Ableton - well, try to use them both, really. I've really only fooled around with it (and seen others work it) but it really seems like an amazing program if you're working with samples primarily.