Raised Beds Advice (Gardening Related)

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
We just built our first raised bed. Big 14'x5'. We are going to build 2 more of the same size.

We just reclaimed a part of our yard that was taken over by Himalayan blackberries, which are the Kudzu of the NW. Cut em, pulled em, covered the ground in cardboard, covered the cardboard with gravel, raised beds on the gravel.

This year we are growing our Tomatoes in full shade, so we are looking forward to a garden that actually gets sun.

Any suggestions on soil/compost depth, plants, watering any thing, will be appreciated.
I have never done raised beds and have never had a large garden of my own.

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    We have a raised bed/terrace set up. I used pressure-treated redwood 2" x 12" (two high, ~2 ft.) lined with black plastic (stapled on). Contractor stakes around the outside for extra support. Two feet of soil is a good depth for vegetables. Sift whatever soil you bring in if it has any rocks in it.

To amend the soil I use a mix of aged steer, chicken, horse manure, and ashes. The natural soil where I am is pretty good/rich/dark. If your soil isn't that great, I suggest bringing in a load of soil from a nursery. Soil is everything.

Also, if your beds aren't completely enclosed/covered, birds and various other animals will eat your plants/vegetables--especially if you are in a more rural area. We have wire mesh and rebar structures covering all of our gardens.

We water 30 minutes a day on an automatic drip system.

Currently growing: tomatoes, cucumber, bitter melon, eggplant, jalapenos, and chard.

• sounds thorough, rey
    i dont think 2 feet is necessary for most vegetables. a foot of good soil will cater to most things.

• what the hell are you growing bitter melon for??

id love to grow broccoli rabe

tripledouble said:
    sounds thorough, rey
    i dont think 2 feet is necessary for most vegetables. a foot of good soil will cater to most things.
    True. I like deeper soil so that when I turn the beds over once a year I feel like I'm getting a greater amount of "new" soil from underneath.

tripledouble said:
    what the hell are you growing bitter melon for??
    Various Filipino dishes. I'm personally not into it but my mom's family loves it. I brought them some recently and they were surprised that we were growing it.

• This summer I took my first stab at gardening and building beds. The first bed I made (the bigger one) was made out of recycled pallets. The smaller two beds were made out of home depot scrap wood. Since this was our first garden it became more of an experiment. We used the cheaper soil from home depot along with soil from our compost bin. Our city actually provides residents with free compost bins. In all beds we have about a foot and a half of soil. All the beds are on dirt/grass, no bottoms on the beds. We grew everything from seeds.

There's only so much we can grow in the full sun in the Arizona heat. Because we didn't know any better we originally had peas, carrots and green beans but they didn't last long once we hit the triple digits. We also had cucumbers that were striving but we lost them to I believe the heat and a bacteria they are known to get.

I'm learning as I go so I don't have much advice. Mainly keep an eye out for bugs/insects and take care of them before they do too much damage. I water twice a day. Once in the mornings and once in the evenings. Everything I learned was from youtube.

photo 1

The above bed was the one made from recycled pallets. We are growing Basil all along the front row. There's also Roma tomatoes, jalapenos, serrano peppers, green bell peppers, banana peppers and cherry tomatoes. We had a serious problem with caterpillars in this bed which took a toll on the tomatoes but they recovered very well. We have been pulling peppers left and right from this garden.

photo 2

The above garden beds have Eggplants(the left) and Heirloom Tomatoes(the right). We planted these about a month or two after the other stuff. They replace the peas and beans we lost. The eggplants took off fast. We have the fencing around them to keep the ducks out. We haven't had any problems with birds.

photo

Above is Batman and Robin

• nice! arent ducks supposed to be good for slugs and maybe other garden pests? their poop is probably great fertilizer too

• tripledouble said:
    nice! arent ducks supposed to be good for slugs and maybe other garden pests? their poop is probably great fertilizer too

They eat every bug in sight. Unfortunately they also eat every plant in sight so we have to keep them away. We had to get rid of our turkey and chickens because they were tearing up the gardens, and shitting everywhere. My girls grandpa raises chickens so we took them there.

• Reynaldo said:
    We have a raised bed/terrace set up. I used pressure-treated redwood 2" x 12" (two high, ~2 ft.) lined with black plastic (stapled on). Contractor stakes around the outside for extra support. Two feet of soil is a good depth for vegetables. Sift whatever soil you bring in if it has any rocks in it.

To amend the soil I use a mix of aged steer, chicken, horse manure, and ashes. The natural soil where I am is pretty good/rich/dark. If your soil isn't that great, I suggest bringing in a load of soil from a nursery. Soil is everything.

Also, if your beds aren't completely enclosed/covered, birds and various other animals will eat your plants/vegetables--especially if you are in a more rural area. We have wire mesh and rebar structures covering all of our gardens.

Currently growing: tomatoes, cucumber, bitter melon, eggplant, jalapenos, and chard.

What area are you in? I'm curious as to how your eggplants are doing.

Escalante said:

What area are you in? I'm curious as to how your eggplants are doing.
    Northern California foothills--60 miles southeast of Sacramento. Mediterranean climate. Our eggplants were producing a lot in June and July and now they are starting to trail off. They do pretty well here, though.

(Enclosed apple trees)

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Im in Denver, a hell of a climate to try to grow stuff in.
    Ive got two raised beds myself. Had great luck with lettuce, beans and corn this year. Just replanted some lettcue seeds last week and should have another crop by end of Sept.
    Squash/cukes are always a solid go to crop for my gardens. They tend to take over everything though if you let them get our of control, which can be a bad thing OR a good thing if alot of your other stuff doesnt take. Its a good space filler, depending on how much space you have.

Gardening in the summer
    Records in the winter

Thats how its been for me the last few years.

• I have 1 4x8 raised bed and got a late start this summer (just moved in related). I used 2x8s (not pressure treated). The soil beneath the bed is really good, so I didn't make it very deep.

The tomatoes went a bit crazy and have crowded everything, but the other stuff did ok considering (two types of peppers, and a small blueberry bush). things have slowed down some and an animal has taken a liking to the tomatoes, but the yield was pretty good considering the late start. Next year I'll spread things out some.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    laserwolf this plus burying some gold in your backyard will have you completely set for the upcoming apocalypse.

the only reason why i would want to own a home is to do shit like this.

• Brian said:
    laserwolf this plus burying some gold in your backyard will have you completely set for the upcoming apocalypse.

the only reason why i would want to own a home is to do shit like this.

Yea, I'm jealous of Reynaldo. I would love to have more growing in the backyard, but we don't own the house.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I had to dig out and re-do my raised beds witth avian wire on the bottom after a disaterous season with gophers years ago. Some serious Caddyshack shit.

• jjfad027 said:
    I had to dig out and re-do my raised beds witth avian wire on the bottom after a disaterous season with gophers years ago. Some serious Caddyshack shit.

i know it's kind of fucking gnarly, but hit up a barber or salon and grips some human hair.

line the outside of your garden with that shit and animals will stay the fuck out pretty much guaranteed.

• I would avoid pressure treated wood because of the nastiness (cancerous chemicals) that will leech into your soil. Instead use cedar. Same argument with the plastic. Good luck.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Do these self-watering pots work well?

http://www.evasolo.com/productinfo/568115/

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks all.
    We replaced our fence. The old one looked like the new one, except rotted and falling down. We kept the old fence on site and used it to build the beds. You can see we laid boards flat and stacked em like bricks in a log cabin type design. All design credit goes to Nancy. The level of craft is zero, because I have no wood working skills.

Persian Iron Wood in the foreground, real edible chestnut trees in the background.

Our garage on the left, back of house on the right.

We had the blackberries cut down, dug out, put down layers of cardboard, inches of gravel. We have killed 4 of the blackberries 7 horcruxs and are convinced we will one day defeat the dark weed.

Saw this UFO over Portland.

Reynaldo said:

Thanks Rey. We ended up using no liner, the gravel bottom, then cardboard, then blackberries, then some real nice soil under all that.
    Our beds are 14" deep.
    We are buying a 4 way soil mix, top soil, sand, chicken shit, leaf compost. Put that in next week, cover in plastic for the winter, in February or March we may add compost, but we will start planting lettuce. Maybe we will even plant lettuce now, not sure.

We live in a urban/rural part of Portland, Coyotes, birds, racoons, opossums yes. Deer, rabbits no.
    What we are really worried about are giant slugs.

I want soaker hoses.

Escalante, nice.

meistromoco, nice photo.

Brian, thanks, gold and zucchinis aren't going to save you. I sold my gold at $1,800.

blakatom, we used cedar planks and pressure treated 4x4s and 2x4s.
    Some things to know about pressure treated wood. Until recently they were treated with Chromated Copper Arsenate. The copper is no worry, but the arsenic will kill you.
    The quantities of arsenic in the wood are fairly high, but extremely stable.
    Arsenic is naturally occurring and widely dispersed chemical. It is most likely in your drinking water and top soil.
    It does not like to travel, any leaching with pressure treated lumber is likely to happen in the first rain, so my 20 year old boards aren't worrying me.
    Once it leaches out it would have to come in contact with your veggies roots.
    Once in contact with the roots it would have to travel to the part of the plant that you eat.
    That this occurs has never been proven, or disproven.
    To be extra safe we clad the inside of the beds with cedar and are planning to not grow root crops in the beds. Which is a shame.
    The dust from cutting treated lumber can put arsenic in the air. EPA doesn't have any guide for the saw dust, but I wore a dust mask and cleaned up the dust.

More gardening photos and advice are more than welcomed.

• good job. the garden beds look fantastic. as far as the pressure treated boards, I am super careful as I have a 3 year old that is eating everything we grow. My old ass wiil be dead before anything effects me but she will have to live with something effecting her in 30's.
    How were the Chestnutts?

• blakatom said:
    good job. the garden beds look fantastic. as far as the pressure treated boards, I am super careful as I have a 3 year old that is eating everything we grow. My old ass wiil be dead before anything effects me but she will have to live with something effecting her in 30's.
    How were the Chestnutts?

This site has been invaluable: http://westsidegardener.com/index.html

WEST SIDE!

(Limes)

Other than Agent Orange or cement does anyone have tips for battling bamboo? It's giving me nightmares at my place.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    Other than Agent Orange or cement does anyone have tips for battling bamboo? It's giving me nightmares at my place.

You want to keep it out? or contain it? We have managed to contain ours to a middle island by digging a 3ft deep trench all around it and burying a wall of pvc/rubber tarp in the trench and then filling back in. Stopped the bamboo encroachment by about 99.9%

It is cool though because it stays green all year round and if we need some trellis material, we just harvest some.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    My ???back yard??? is an extended driveway ??? solid concrete. Looking for a creative way to build a space-efficient mini garden that is no bigger than 4??? x 3???. Was thinking about some sort of terraced pyramid shape that goes vertical that has herbs / peppers / possibly tomatoes down the sides. The main things I need are basil, cilantro, thyme, oregano, etc plus a variety of spicy peppers.

Any thoughts?

SportCasual said:
    jjfad027 said:

You want to keep it out? or contain it? We have managed to contain ours to a middle island by digging a 3ft deep trench all around it and burying a wall of pvc/rubber tarp in the trench and then filling back in. Stopped the bamboo encroachment by about 99.9%

It is cool though because it stays green all year round and if we need some trellis material, we just harvest some.

I want it gone forever. Not sure how realistic that is. It's destroying a fence. And I thought ivy was bad.